Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:47:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Black Powder  (Read 4607 times)

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
Black Powder
« on: September 26, 2009, 12:01:56 PM »
For those who missed this announcement I thought it might be of interest.
http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=2759

It will be interesting to see how they have pulled together such a diverse spread of history in one rule book, but as my two favourite periods are AWI and Colonial having one rules set that can accommodate both is too tempting... I have already ordered my 'big wullie'  lol

Offline G. K. Zhukov

• Assistant
    • La Dacha de G. K. Zhukov
Re: Black Powder
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 02:33:29 PM »
It will be interesting to see how they have pulled together such a diverse spread of history in one rule book, but as my two favourite periods are AWI and Colonial having one rules set that can accommodate both is too tempting... I have already ordered my 'big wullie'  lol

Just to tempt you a little more: the venerable "Volley and Bayonet", a rulebook for VERY big battles from the same, long period of history, has a new edition:

Volley and Bayonet: Road to Glory

Mind you: this is no skirmish game. Each base usually represents a brigade (or regiment earlier in the period). ;)

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mcnelly/vnb.htm

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 03:56:41 PM »
I've got a copy on pre-order as well , not yet sure what I will use them for - got most of my gaming periods covered by rules already . But it looks very interesting and pretty  :D

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 07:44:23 AM »
This appears promising. I may have to check this one out.
A.Nik-

Offline Captain Goode

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:59:18 PM »
I was impressed by the pre production copy that I got the chance to have a good read of. For the present it I am undecided if I am going to use these or Rank and File for my Anglo Zulu games. The question for me is how easy will it be to graft on some characters within or commanding battalions. 

Captain Goode
Somewhere in the Asokoro Hills
Near Maitama

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 03:58:56 AM »
Could you tell us a thing or two about the gaming system, please ?
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline doobry

• Student
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 09:00:21 AM »
At the moment there are two things which are puuting me off, one is the price at thirty pounds its a bit steep the second is they are talking about bringing out supplements which means that it becomes like wab- the supplement you want never matierialises.
iain

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 12:16:17 PM »
Could you tell us a thing or two about the gaming system, please ?

Giles Allison has played a game with the Perrys and posted a battle report on his blug: http://gilesallison.blogspot.com/ (scroll down to the 14 September entry).

I was excited by these, but they apparently lack any skirmish troop rules. I plan to give them a look, but I think I will be sticking to Rank and File and Sharp Practice.

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 12:40:15 PM »
I genuinely hope for something good from Black Powder.

Anyone know any firm info re: Black Powder?

Nice blog post though.

In historical tabletop gaming I always have to try to make the 'perfect storm'-- 1) right era armies 2) right rules set 3) right bases. WPB seems like a great opportunity for some 'historical gaming' for the sheer fun of it. Har!

The fellahs are a bit lazy in my zone however that's why I'm trying to get something definitive so I can prepare a bit of a demo.

I have the pre-order and Wullie. Hope the "Royal Mails issues are solved".

Thanks awfully,

Sendak
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking