Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:49:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: December's Wargames Illustrated...  (Read 2204 times)

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
December's Wargames Illustrated...
« on: November 30, 2021, 08:42:44 PM »
Free gift is a sprue of 'Big Battles' 10mm British Heavy Cavalry. Looks like the they're Union Brigade, supported by one of Mercer's RHA guns.
PM me if they're any good to you as an early Crimbo prezzie.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
Re: December's Wargames Illustrated...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 09:14:08 PM »
PM inbound sah

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 09:49:11 PM »
A scouting patrol of the 10th Hussars has received your dispatch. The Heavy Brigade will move up on receiving your orders, Sir.

;)

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 10:30:31 PM »
Good man sir.  Will have a rummage among the long abandoned for your good self😉

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 08:52:09 AM »
Had to laugh reading the article on how to paint one of yer freebie dwarf/munchkin cavalrymen. It's five pages long, I'm thinking...
Michelangelo's idiot's guide to painting the Sistine Chapel wouldn't have stretched to that!

:o
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 08:54:01 AM by Harry Faversham »

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 08:59:03 AM »
Had to laugh reading the article on how to paint one of yer freebie dwarf/munchkin cavalrymen. It's five pages long, I'm thinking...
Michelangelo's idiot's guide to painting the Sistine Chapel wouldn't have stretched to that!

Yup Harry, I could not agree more. I thought it was 4 pages longer than it needed to be for something so titchy  lol
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 09:22:28 AM »
Arrived in rapid fashion and perfect condition thanks Harry….honestly the articlle looked more like page filler agree with the sentiment above😳

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 09:51:51 AM »
Roo, some piccys when you've done 'em, and a five thousand word essay, on how you painted 'em please!

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 11:41:48 AM »
Do you want some more? I daren't tempt myself to starting another scale...

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 12:34:25 PM »
Do you have any of the Frenchies perchance…I have more than my fill of British Heavies for the project I am planning using the wonderful A La Carte system available here http://flagsofvictory.blogspot.com/p/waterloo-la-ca.html?m=1 played both games and they are tough for the French!

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 10:26:01 PM »
Hah, it hadn't even occurred to me to look closely. Indeed it is the French sprue!

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 11:02:27 AM »

WI has a bad habit of dedicating 5 pages to how two guys decided to build yet another generic war of the roses game and which rule set to use and half a page to an in depth fantasy game with tons of conversions and original characters. The fantasy issue they put out a while ago with John Blanche article was superb because it gave proper space to different eras not just the same 3 we seem to have on loop (Civic war English/American and WW2)

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 02:08:24 AM »
I think the way to "unloop" any hobby magazine is to submit articles outside of the loop.  Me?  I don't send articles to rags that only "pay on publication" - means they own the work for as many years as they care to wait to publish it (most hobby rags, alas), though I suppose you could ask to 'withdraw' the submission to submit it somewhere else (no idea how feasible that might be).  And, no, I don't do it for 'recognition' neither.  Those magazines are in business to make a profit whatever rubbish they want to say otherwise.  Want my work, pay for it. Now, if they "pay on acceptance", that's another story.  Though, frankly, I'd just as soon share here or places like LAF for free for all comers. 

Always nice to see the generosity from the better class of hobbyists. 

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 02:13:26 AM »
I think the way to "unloop" any hobby magazine is to submit articles outside of the loop.  Me?  I don't send articles to rags that only "pay on publication" - means they own the work for as many years as they care to wait to publish it (most hobby rags, alas), though I suppose you could ask to 'withdraw' the submission to submit it somewhere else (no idea how feasible that might be).  And, no, I don't do it for 'recognition' neither.  Those magazines are in business to make a profit whatever rubbish they want to say otherwise.  Want my work, pay for it. Now, if they "pay on acceptance", that's another story.  Though, frankly, I'd just as soon share here or places like LAF for free for all comers. 

Always nice to see the generosity from the better class of hobbyists.
What magazines have you been submitting to and consider worth submitting to? It's something I'm very interested in but don't have the foggiest idea about. Seems fun to see if you can turn a beloved project into buying another box to add to the backlog.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 11:00:14 AM »
What magazines have you been submitting to and consider worth submitting to? It's something I'm very interested in but don't have the foggiest idea about.

I've done a few articles over the years for Wargames Illustrated, Miniature Wargames (I think) and Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy. Magazines are always looking for contributors to help fill the pages and will give you good advice on what they're looking for in an article and how to go about it. Different publishers have different policies regarding what, how and when you are paid, but it's not something to retire on, usually a couple of hundred at most. Nice to see your name and work in print though. I still get a buzz from it if I'm honest.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:03:00 AM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter