Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:44:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690837
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] Age of Penda Dark Ages rules  (Read 4386 times)

Offline danmer

• Librarian
[Commercial] Age of Penda Dark Ages rules
« on: December 13, 2021, 12:15:55 PM »
I've just released a little set of Dark Ages rules called Age of Penda. "Oh, yet another set of Dark Ages rules from HIM", some might say. But I enjoy designing them!

For now, they're just available as a PDF from Wargames Vault https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/20623/ but the print version will be ready soon. I've released them to promote my forthcoming range of 18mm Anglo-Saxons, sculpted for me by Mark Copplestone ... but more on Wiglaf Miniatures another time  :)

Here's a bit about Age of Penda...

"In this gridded-layout miniature wargame, you take the role of a seventh-century warlord or king leading your army on the battlefield. You must choose where and how to focus your warriors' actions and control the battle’s impetus. The battle is partly fought on the tabletop like other miniature wargames but is also fought just as hard on the Tactics Chart, providing an additional mind-game against your opponent.

Command your units to move and fight in the areas of the battlefield you wish, but leave the actual process of fighting to your units' commanders. This is represented by the random factor of dice and each of your units’ abstract but often-decreasing Battle Rating. Because of this, your focus is kept where it should be – out-thinking your opponent by using superior tactics and exploiting their weaknesses on the battlefield.

Age of Penda is not intended as a heavy simulation of medieval warfare but as an enjoyable, simple, and fast-playing battle game themed around seventh-century warfare. You’ll find that much of the action is stylized and streamlined. Don’t think of “turns” in the usual wargaming way – in each turn your units may fight or move several times, countered by your opponent after every action, creating a very fluid game but at the same time making cohesive planning difficult to achieve."

Offline Bodvoc

• Librarian
    • The War Crow
Re: [Commercial] Age of Penda Dark Ages rules
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 01:08:54 PM »
I'm interested in 'Age of Penda', they sound right up my street. Any hints as to base size and grid size?
Also very interested in the idea of Mark Copplestone sculpted 18mm Anglo Saxons, any news on release dates for both rules and figures? 
'If I throw a 6 I will do my happy dance.

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 01:13:14 PM »
Thanks! Base sizes and grid sizes can be whatever suits your collection - individual minis per unit or a communal base and tracking hits. PDF is available now and the print book will be available in January (all being well with the print proofs).

Wiglaf miniatures will also launch early next year. All the masters are finished and I'm currently sorting the production moulds. I'll make the website live at that point. Mark has done a superb job for me!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 01:15:18 PM »
Dan, just bought the rules plus your Border reivers set from Wargames Vault.  I too love the 7th century plus have a box full of Vendel miniatures Border Reivers which haven't  seen the tabletop for nearly 20 years!  Something to try out over the Festive period.  Also interested in your plans for 18mm figures. When do you think we might see the 1st releases?

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 02:35:26 PM »
Thank you - I hope you enjoy both sests of rules. The Border Reiver rules were written a long time ago to go with a range of minatures that were being launched, but for various reasons they were never made available; rather than waste them, I thought I'd make them available as a pay-what-you-want PDF. They're not that much like my most recent games.

First Wiglaf Miniatures releases should be early next year. I've posted photos over on Instagram. I think you can view them even if you don't have an account:

More news on the minis when they're available.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 10:25:41 AM »
Me & the Da will be very interested in the figures, will be sure to give the rules a look to!  :D

Offline Emperorbaz

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 12:08:17 PM »
I’m not a fan of the scale, but I like the sound of 18mm Saxons sculpted by Mark Copplestone. His figures are always a joy to paint. I’m heading over the vault now to get the rules!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 02:13:38 PM »
They look great, Dan. And interested in giving the new rules a try too :)

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 03:07:10 PM »
Thanks for the support! I'm thinking of these as "travel-sized 28s" or "15mm my eyes can still see".

Much as I love 28mm, there's plenty of good choices for Middle Anglo-Saxons, where as in 15mm I've never found a range that I like the look of. So as I usually do, previously with rules but now with minis, I've just gone ahead and organised something I personally like, and hope that others will join me...!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 03:57:11 PM »
I'm excited for both minis and rules!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 10:13:02 PM »
Oh dear, those are some awesome news!
First of all a new Dark Age ruleset - great. By noone else but Mr Mersey - fabuluous! Accompanied by a new set of miniatures from the great Mr Cooplestone himself!! In God‘s own scale!!!

Thank you so much for making this happen!!!!!!

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 10:47:11 AM »
The rules sound a bit like Battle Ravens; are they a development of those rules, or something else?

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 03:24:30 PM »
No, not related to Battle Ravens.

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2021, 09:03:14 PM »
Always worth looking at your rules Dan - have used pretty much everything in one form or another since Glutter of Ravens (were you in the SoA then?)

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2021, 10:09:14 PM »
Thanks! Same as all my rules, I'm sure some will like them and some won't. But I like to experiment with different ideas in my rules whenever I can.  I've been in the SoA on and off over the years.