Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:49:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Playing with Yourself: "Rangers" vs. "Sellswords"  (Read 2405 times)

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
Playing with Yourself: "Rangers" vs. "Sellswords"
« on: December 22, 2021, 01:01:18 AM »
Comparing the solo (or co-op) games "Rangers of Shadow Deep" and "Sellswords & Spellslingers" on my blog, Scrum in Miniature:

https://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com/2019/07/playing-with-yourself-rangers-of-shadow.html

Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Re: Playing with Yourself: "Rangers" vs. "Sellswords"
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 01:45:59 AM »
Thanks for this. Our group plays a lot of Sellswords and I was looking at Ranger Deep. We really didn't like Frostgrave (or Stargrave), so guessing the "solo Frostgrave" is not a selling point.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 05:03:23 AM »
I had high hopes for Rangers, but found it really is a standard game with a few mechanisms to make it a bit more solo-friendly.  It never really seems like a true solo game.  Rangers is more slickly produced, better supported and has a better campaign/scenarios.  For me, Sellswords is far better.  Gives a real solo experience, unpredictable and usually exciting.  It is easy to customise - as it is a solo game I have changed a lot of rules to suit my gaming style and no one complains!

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 08:20:49 AM »
I agree with your thoughts. I've tried both SS&SS first and really enjoyed it. I tried to like RoSD as there are some great ideas and background but the game play felt bland.

I found RoSD a bit too "programmed" vs SS&SS. I guess I like the unpredictability and grit of SS and the monsters keep coming! RoSD has a finite number of cards/monsters per scenario so it is a bit easier to know when you are on top of that.

Although both use D20s I also found the combat in RoSD is very swingy (same as Frostgrave). I see for Silver Bayonet the author has changed to 2 D10s, which seems better and could be used for RoSD.

I think that RoSD has much better support and supplements than SS&SS, which is nice if you dont want to think up your own. I suggest that it would be pretty easy to take RoSD scenarios and replace the RoSD cards with event cards and have the best of both games!

Another system in a similar vein is called Forbidden Psalm, which is a based on the Mork Borg RPG world. It has a very interesting background and lots of neat ideas for party generation. The figure count is lower than RoSD or SS&SS. I'd be curious if other have tried this as well? I intend to pick it up once they release their In the Footsteps of the Mad Wizard in print.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 11:06:06 AM »
Thank you, I saw this on FB and was intending to read it when the app suddenly crashed, thus losing the article  >:(

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 11:20:48 AM »
I found RoSD a bit too "programmed" vs SS&SS........<snip>........ I also found the combat in RoSD is very swingy (same as Frostgrave).

Agree totally. SS&SS is the better gaming experience and much easier to create your own scenarios for. I found that the old Basic D&D adventures (or modern OSR adventures) provide great encounters to turn into scenarios, which can be themed to monster types depending on the D&D adventure chosen.

Another system in a similar vein is called Forbidden Psalm, which is a based on the Mork Borg RPG world. It has a very interesting background and lots of neat ideas for party generation.
Yes, but actually modelling anything like those characters or the terrain it needs for a tabletop game is a nightmare and requires a massive investment in time. They are far, far from standard fantasy types.
MB is a wonderful RPG and it's world setting is amazing, Psalm is a solid skirmish game, nothing special or innovative in its actual mechanics, but brought to life by the theme. I backed the KS and loved the idea of the game (like a dark fantasy Inq28) but very quickly gave up on it due to how much time and money I would have to invest in making it work as I think it deserves. A long term club project rather than a quick option for a solo gamer I think.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 02:16:20 PM »
An interesting comparison review. Thanks for posting it. Food for thought.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 03:38:51 PM »
Very interesting comparison. Seems like some of the details faded from when you played, but the overall impression was pretty strong.

In looking at your blog, I saw the tutorial on using vinyl tiles for rivers and roads. I think I saw them before, but my aged mind got distracted by other bright, shiny objects. Those look fantastic, and I am going to scout the local HD to make a few up. Those look to be very thin, I think there are several thicknesses available. The ones I remember looking at in hand required a box cutter to go through, so there must have been a batch I overlooked.

Thanks!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 06:34:26 PM »
I just looked for Sellswords, is that the only book you have to get, its only $8?
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2021, 06:51:26 PM »
I just looked for Sellswords, is that the only book you have to get, its only $8?

https://www.ganeshagames.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_6&products_id=344

Yes for the PDF. You will need the cards (Monsters, events, potions/spells) as well, which come with the rules and I'd suggest you get them printed. There is also an extra set called "Beastmen and Foes" which give you additional monster type for your own scenarios

https://www.wargamevault.com/browse.php?keywords=sellswords&manufacturers_id=2502&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 10:26:47 PM »

As 6mmfan suggested, I would recommend getting the printed cards - they are well worth it. Be aware that some of the cards don't show up DriveThruRPG, just DriveThruCards, so order through there (they are the same site, just different views)

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2021, 05:34:12 AM »
I printed my own cards rather than ordering them because it allowed me to more easily add various cards (new monsters, events, etc.) when crafting my own scenarios.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2021, 07:21:19 AM »
A cheap alternative for the cards is to print the PDF's that come with the $8 download in A4 - cut out they fit well glued on a standard playing card.

20190314_082313 by markndebs, on Flickr

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2021, 11:27:43 AM »
I like the concise format of your comparison of the two games. The points are very well observed.

Few years ago I was introduced to Sellswords&Spellslingers and was smitten. I also was introduced to Rangers of Shadowdeep and it was alright. While the latter is a more well-rounded product, I very much prefer Sellswords&Spellslingers (possibly because it's not as polished, but that's a weird reflex within me which I may never get rid of). Even in terms of presentation. It's colourful, wild, wacky and a bit rough around the edges, whereas Rangers of Shadowdeep is monochrome. That's entirely subjective though.

RoSD feels much more predictable than Sellswords&Spellslingers. What helps RoSD in that regard are the event cards, which I really like. I like a good, thematic event card in any game. Sellswords has got all of that built into the activation deck. The rules on that one are pretty darned brilliant in general. RoSD is a perfectly fine game, but for me Sellswords and Spellslingers is where it's at, yo.  :P