Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:05:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689608
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vietnam Warfare Rules (Ground & Combined Arms)  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Vietnam Warfare Rules (Ground & Combined Arms)
« on: December 29, 2021, 09:04:41 AM »
As some of you know, I am writing a painting and modelling book about the Vietnam War.
I want to include a list of wargame rules and a brief description of them.

Please help me to improve the list and descriptions.
I will update the list as we get more.

I have

Bodycount: Wargames Rules for the Vietnam War.  Written by Ian and Nigel Drury and published by Tabletop Games 2nd Ed 1988. Players are the "Free World" and the VC/NVA are umpire controlled. Quite a different gaming concept to most.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26766/bodycount-wargames-rules-vietnam-war

Bohica - new set by Empress to be launched in 2022

Bolt Action Vietnam - VC on the Trail - fan generated version of WW2 rules, infantry skirmish with possibility to add vehicles, boats and aircraft. Facebook Group has 2000 members. Update 1.61 published 2020

Buckle for Your Dust by Greg McCauley, published 1991. Platoon and squad level actions.

Charlie Company from RAFM. Published 1997, platoon sized forces suitable for campaigns with the aim being to get through a tour of duty.

Charlie Don't Surf by Two Fat Lardies - published 2010, company level including vehicles, boats and aircraft.

Cold War Commander (Pendraken) - published 2006 & 2009, bases are platoons, brigade / regimental sized force fielded. Combined arms - has ambush rules etc for asymmetrical battles

DMZ Second Tour- fan generated supplement for Chain of Command (Two Fat Lardies).

Fire Fight! Vietnam Rules by Dean Wilson (available through Wargamesvault). New

FNG by Two Hour Wargames. "Freakin New Guy", published 2005, infantry skirmish with possibility to add vehicles, boats and aircraft

Force on Force & Ambush Alley - infantry skirmish with possibility to add vehicles, boats and aircraft. Ambush Valley is Vietnam scenario book. AA published 2009, FOF & AV published by Osprey 2011. (Out of Print)

Free Fire Zone by Barry Lovell c 1993 updated 1998. Aimed at squad/platoon level actions

Giặc Mỹ small unit insurgency combat rules created in 1978

Mekong ...Vietnam - Ground and river combat rules, published in 1987 by GHQ (guess for 1/300 = 6mm)

Nam 1965-1972 - published by Osprey in 2018, based on Battlefront Team Yankee & Flames of War rules for 15mm battalion level including vehicles, boats and aircraft, (Out of Print)

Rapid Fire Vietnam - fan generated version of WW2 Rules - company level including vehicles, boats and aircraft.

The Long Road South - the Vietnam War - a supplement for Disposable Heroes - squad level skirmish games.

The Nam - The Way it Was - new from Partizan Press in 2021 - infantry skirmish with tanks and AFVs

Vietnam - The Men of Company B by Peter Pig in 2017. Aimed at Company level in 15mm.

There are some reviews here
https://www.deepfriedhappymice.com/html/rd_vietnam.html

« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 12:49:57 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Paratrooper 42

• Librarian
Re: Vietnam Warfare Rules (Ground & Combined Arms)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 10:22:24 AM »
Bodycount: Wargames Rules for the Vietnam War.  Written by Ian and Nigel Drury and published by Tabletop Games.   ( https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26766/bodycount-wargames-rules-vietnam-war )

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 11:12:22 AM »
Team Yankee have a Vietnam version.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 11:20:22 AM »
Fire Fight! Vietnam Rules by Dean Wilson (avaible trough Wargamesvault). New and very interesting I think
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 11:35:02 AM »
Mick, a few extras that others haven't mentioned.

"The Men of Company B" by Peter Pig. Aimed at Company level in 15mm.
"Bodycount" has been mentioned but I would add that the players are the "Free World" and the VC/NVA are umpire controlled. Quite a different gaming concept to most.
"Free fire Zone" by Barry Lovell c 1993. Aimed at squad/platoon level actions
"Buckle for Your Dust" by Greg McCauley. Platoon ands squad level actions.

In addition to these "official" rules I also have an unofficial supplement to the Two Fat Lardies Chain of Command rules called "Chain of Command DMZ", plus  a set of modifications for the Arty Conliffe Crossfire called "Incoming" and also written by Barry Lovell. I have no idea where these two sets of amendments can be found. Probably some form of Forum.

Regards.         

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 11:39:25 AM »
Charlie Company from RAFM. Pretty good set of rules, with a built in campaign flavour the aim being to get through a tour of duty. Platoon sized forces. Still in print I believe, although my copy must be at least 30 years old if not more.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 11:44:53 AM »
Buckle for your Dust is pants. I seem to recall we gave it a go decades ago and found it almost unplayable. Might have to dig it out now to remind myself what its particular failings were.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 12:02:38 PM »
Cold War Commander (Pendraken) - bases are platoons, brigade / regimental sized force fielded. Combined arms - has ambush rules etc for asymmetrical battles

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 12:57:47 PM »
Thank-you everybody. This is very helpful.

Please keep adding your comments.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 05:08:30 PM »
Mick,

I can't comment on Carlos' view on "Buckle for Your Dust" as I have never played them. They are just sitting in my stash of rules.

I also have a set called "From the Delta to the DMZ" available as a PdF from Gomi Designs. Bigger scale than most being at Company/Battalion level, and as such aimed at 6-15mm figures. I have tried it with my 1/200 stuff. Works OK but I sense could have benefitted from more playtesting and "polish".

I have always found Vietnam very difficult to game, given the often assymetric nature of the fighting. I am still looking for the "Nirvana" of a good set of rules to use with my 1/200, so am looking at the other responses with interest.

Regards 

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 05:25:16 PM »
Contrary to the evidence of the quantity of white metal/resin as well as thread and blog posts (37 of the latter as of now) this is not a period that has interested me.

For solo play I am looking at Zona Alfa/Kontraband with theatre specific Point of Interest cards.
Most of the cards are just "re-skins" of existing cards, but one of the scenes from Full Metal Jacket that stuck in my mind was the sniper. I have the cards for playing US/Allied forces, next is ideas for North Vietnamese forces.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 12:27:48 AM »
I'm actually thinking of using Fistfull of Lead: Bigger Battles.  It worked for WW2.  I'll report if/when we do that (maybe as early as this coming Spring)...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 01:11:35 AM »
Iron Ivan games had a supplement for their rules. The Long Road South - the Vietnam War (Supplement for Disposable Heroes)

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 09:44:07 AM »
Thank-you for all the suggestions.

@Moriarty
I did some checking. Nam 1965-1972 - is based on Team Yankee, which is Battlefront's modern version of Flames of War WW2 rules. 
It was published in 2028 by Osprey in collaboration with Battlefront. Sadly it appears to be out of print which is quite surprising.

Offline BlindFool

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 12:20:05 PM »
Giac My -  Bruce Lutz, Fitzhugh R MacCrae, A Mark Ratner

Small unit combat in Vietnam

...if you need any more info about them let me know and I’ll check my copy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 12:22:01 PM by BlindFool »