Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:53:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 592
Total: 595

Recent

Author Topic: Wolfenstein 26th; Combined Arms IG regiment  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Wolfenstein 26th; Combined Arms IG regiment
« on: December 11, 2023, 09:24:14 AM »
It's been a while since I've posted something I've painted; for some reason 2023 has been the busiest, most hectic year to date, and I can't even pinpoint what's been causing it.

Bottom line though; my yearly output has never been this low, but on the upside; most of it has been for this new project.

Not really new though; I've had this idea for well over a decade, maybe even longer. This idea came to me before the advent of all the different flavours of 'Germans-in-space' that are available now. In fact it must have been around the time Pig Iron came out with their System and Rebels head-sprues.

Ever since I saw them, I've wanted to add the System Trooper heads to Cadian bodies and make a unique Imperial Guard army for 40K. Preferences have shifted since then though, and these are now not exclusively for 40K.

So when I got hold of a large batch of Pig Iron head sprues last year, I started collecting second-hand Cadians. These went for pretty cheap actually, and I've rescued quite a bunch this way.

Earlier this year, I managed to first paint a test figure to try how to best speed-paint these, because I will be requiring numbers after all.  And then my first full squad of 10, during which I perfected my assembly line style of painting. This, I have doubled by now to two squads, with at least two more to round out the first platoon.

Then,  I also stumbled onto these awesome not-German vehicle designs that would complement my infantry perfectly, so I bought the STLs and set to printing. I've printed one APC/IFV and one main battle tank. They're nominal stand-ins for Chimera's and Leman Russes respectively, although the tank (called a Hauptmann) is significantly longer than a standard Leman Russ. But the width and height are spot on.

So this weekend I've finally finished the APC (called a Gunther), after it languishing on my desk for the better part of a year.

My main inspiration for this army was the game Wolfenstein New Order. Hence the black uniforms, and red eye-lenses, but I've stayed away from the more fantastical tech displayed in the game. I will eventually be adding mechs from Dust perhaps as Sentinel stand-ins though.

I've even named the regiment after the game: this is the Wolfenstein 26th, lead by General Von Klinkerhoffen (I just have to add some silliness into this stern wall of grey and black ;) ). This particular detachment is lead by the famous Captain Blazkowicz and is a screening unit for one of the regiment's super heavies; a Shadowsword.

The regiment is reknowned for its lightning fast combined arms tactics, and standard doctrine is to have a tank platoon and two infantry platoons to screen each super heavy during operations. Often scouting elements such as Sentinel squadrons are attached for extra ranged screening as well.

So yes; I do have a Shadowsword waiting to be assembled. It's been my favourite IG super heavy ever since playing Final Liberation back in the day, and now I've finally got one. Still needs to be built though ::)

So for now, I have two squads of infantry and one APC (I plan to mount all infantry, as they're mechanized), so they'll require at least one more APC. But the first big tank is also sitting on my desk in its unbuilt bare resin state, so that'll be first I reckon.

When I get to it, obviously  :D

Anyway; here they are, in pretty gnarly phone photography:

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
Re: Wolfenstein 26th; Combined Arms IG regiment
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 09:44:11 AM »
Cool troopers. They remind me of the old metal 40k Scions and the Dalek Invasion of Earth movie 'Robomen' too.
I think you may have used the Coloney militia heads rather than the System trooper ones as the System trooper ones are the Not Halo ones?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 09:51:24 AM »
Cheers.

And yes you're absolutely right; they're Pig Iron Colony heads and not System.

I'm sort of planning on painting the next squad as veterans. The heads come as either bare helmets or with cover. So the vets will be in camouflaged uniform and covered helmets. Luckily there are also some unhelmeted ones with officer caps, leather tank crew helmets etc, so those will be used accordingly as well :)

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 03:47:35 PM »
Those heads seem to work well with the old Cadians which is interesting as I have some of the not Halo style system trooper heads but I seem to recall they don't quite work with the Cadian bodies as they are flatter and don't look like they could accommodate a human head.
I look forward to seeing more of your troops soon.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 04:19:45 PM »
Great stuff Daeothar! I like the troops but really love the 250/9, it works very well and definitely looks the part (I do like the 250/9 - one of my favourites if I’m playing Germans).

Keep up the good work,

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 06:52:34 PM »
This is the way.

Mechanised infantry have long been a favourite of mine, and I've always loved the way those Pigiron heads make the old Cadians look so much better.

Nice scheme too, they'll make great generic bad guys in a wide range of settings. I will say though, that like the rhino, there's no way I see 10 of those guys getting in the back of that that APC with full kit lol

Very much looking forward to your next update.

(By the way, what's the photo hosting you use? It never shows up in Chrome, very wierd.)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 07:58:39 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

They're suitably dark and ominous. Very imperial, but also perfect henchmen of the evil persuasion.

I really like the work of the armour's artist; he has found a great balance between historical reference and 40k (in)sensibility. Check out the Hauptmann below; a definite not-Panther and another great vehicle.

And when looking at 40k, you can't have logically scaled vehicles; that's the law  lol

Oh, and my webspace has an outdated SSL certificate which I'm not savvy enough to replace. Firefox will show my pics, but most other browsers won't. I've had to deal with this for a while now and it's kind of annoying, but I haven't made the time to address it (yet)...  :?

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2023, 02:29:40 PM »

I always enjoy using Pig Iron bits. These look really nicely done, great work.

Offline Raedwald

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 08:13:46 PM »
Fantastic project, infantry and vehicle looking great!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2023, 09:16:15 PM »
Very much the evil henchman look  8)

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 04:52:03 PM »
Have to agree with what’s been said- sci fi mechanised infantry never fail to look awesome. Looking forward to seeing the tank painted ;)