Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:10:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Sci Fi - Zealots (28 Feb)  (Read 29645 times)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - more dungeon tiles (07 Jun)
« Reply #165 on: June 07, 2022, 07:14:15 PM »
What you've got so far looks good. This was my effort at something similar for 28mm, maybe it'll be of use to you. :)

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=112097.0
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 07:30:28 PM by hubbabubba »

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #166 on: June 07, 2022, 11:28:57 PM »
What you've got so far looks good. This was my effort at something similar for 28mm, maybe it'll be of use to you. :)

Those Tiles turned out Great!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #167 on: June 08, 2022, 04:46:57 PM »
Neat! And much better for a cleaner, uniform concept of space. Were these pilfered from an offspring's toybox? Alas, I'm not sure I can find an inexpensive source for lego products...

LOL.  No, i get them all dirt-cheap here:

Brick Owl
https://www.brickowl.com/

Hope it helps.

Dan
PS.  Let me know if you need any links to the specific pieces I used.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2022, 04:30:08 AM »
Our local Wilco store sells loose Lego. Fill a tub from their
display. The last time I stocked up on wheels & other useful
bits. You can get quite a lot for a few quid, especially if it is
small bits you are after.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2022, 10:46:38 AM »
Thanks all, some great food for thought here. I'd missed those Tiny Solitary Soldier tiles - evidently my Wayback research wasn't as thorough as I'd thought!

Thanks! I was pondering whether it would be better to give the tiles more defined roles (barracks, storeroom, etc) but it's good to see that generic laid out tiles with scatter terrain works just as well. I should have followed a similar policy of holding off other terrain pieces in the meantime - I flit back and forth far too easily.

Dan
PS.  Let me know if you need any links to the specific pieces I used.

Such links would be mightily appreciated as a starting point - I can see that place becoming something of a rabbit hole to fall into!

Our local Wilco store sells loose Lego. Fill a tub from their
display. The last time I stocked up on wheels & other useful
bits. You can get quite a lot for a few quid, especially if it is
small bits you are after.

I'll have to keep an eye out for those.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2022, 03:20:34 PM »
I'm always grappling with the question of whether it is better to build specific or generic (beds glued in place or not) and I think I'm about 50/50 on the question. I like the flexibility of an empty room, but then I also want there to be particular set pieces that have a look to them. When I did my starship tiles I made sure that bridge layouts were set. Computers and such are glued in place, that bridge design is what it is from here until the end of time, and that is ok by me! Engine rooms are the same. Everything else in between can be configured using scatter.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2022, 07:02:52 PM »
I'm always grappling with the question of whether it is better to build specific or generic (beds glued in place or not) and I think I'm about 50/50 on the question. I like the flexibility of an empty room, but then I also want there to be particular set pieces that have a look to them. When I did my starship tiles I made sure that bridge layouts were set. Computers and such are glued in place, that bridge design is what it is from here until the end of time, and that is ok by me! Engine rooms are the same. Everything else in between can be configured using scatter.

I say "No" and just use drop in terrain unless you are doing something special, Like my Long Range Patrol Fighter.

Other than that, leave it clean. In this game it could be a storage room next time its a stateroom next time its a computer room. You could build drop ins using two walls and base that have these setups that fit those rooms then it is just drop and play. Each game would be different in so many ways then.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2022, 08:31:23 PM »
WM

That toilet looks awesome!  I’m glad you left it empty.  :)

Dan

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - Pulp Alley scenario map (11 Jun)
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2022, 08:29:06 AM »
Yeah, I generally fall into the camp of flexibility and modularity, but have just finished painting this piece which goes is very much of the opposite movement.

I really like the Haunted Manor scenario from Pulp Alley's Tomb of the Serpent campaign, and since it's a rather compact map I was able to fit it on a 15x15cm coaster, having translated all inches to centimetres. Just reskinned it as an abandoned research station of some sort, and reinterpreted what the various entry points and places of significance could be.

Happened to have a few 350gsm flyers lying around from work so used those for the walls, and populated the rest of it mostly with old electrical doodads. In addition to the cast monitors, it turns out the end of an ethernet cable makes quite a nice terminal for 15mm. Even managed to fit in a scrabble piece for a shaft down into the depths.

I've got a few more of these coaster tiles, so hope to do put together some modular maps - four together should make for a decently sized board, perhaps not quite as full as this particular one.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2022, 12:20:49 PM »
That is brilliant!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2022, 11:27:34 PM »
Doodler
The tile looks great! If you going to have a small building that is a special purpose building, an outpost for example may be standard design, standard equipment and standard number of personnel assigned.

It could also be a standard guarded entrance point to an underground facility.

A standard surveyors station.

I mean in a galaxy so large not everyone or government is going to design each and every individual post there is going to be a standard floor plan to cut cost and time.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2022, 11:55:40 PM »
WM

That toilet looks awesome!  I’m glad you left it empty.  :)

Dan

Dan
Remember... In Space No One can Hear You..... Strain   :-X    Oh, Sweet Jesus! What the hell did I eat! (grown) OMG! I'm not trying to drop a hard shell alien egg am I! (wails) Holy Crap when I finish dropping this clicker, (grunt)I'm going have to mark its location on the star charts as an asteroid hazard!!

lol lol lol lol

Doug

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #177 on: June 12, 2022, 06:00:25 AM »
You be crazy, my brother!   lol

Dan

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - finished stackable dungeon tiles (22 Jun)
« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2022, 08:09:59 PM »
Got the tiles done in time for the holiday, so have been enjoying some games of 5 Parsecs from Home based on a tunnel-ridden former mining colony.

Just rotating the tiles 90° completely alters the possible routes across an adventure site, so assuming the struggling crew members don’t get too sick at the site of unending panelled corridors, these ten tiles should cover a fair few campaign turns. I started the crew off without a ship, so they’ve not much choice in the matter.

A quick prime, black basecoat, silver drybrush and blackish wash does mean that the tiles can look a bit samey, though covering the tops of the walls in black mitigates that a bit by making the different layouts a bit more distinct. Two of the tiles have a bit of colour by way of computer terminals to make possible objective markers stand out a bit.

Games so far have been played out on a 3x3 tile grid, though the higgledy piggledy floor panels mean the tiles can be laid offset each other for a slightly bigger battlefield.

I made a last minute decision to glue some strips of EVA foam to the bottom of the tiles to stop them sliding around on the table tip and to cushion the tiles a bit when stacked upon each other. In hindsight, and possibly a job for the future, I should possibly have stuck some magnetic sheets to the undersides instead. They’d have a similar effect, and would open up the possibility of bringing some sheets to stick the tiles upon for a bit of a firmer grip during gameplay.

The tiles all stack nicely, but I should have put some more thought into what sort of container they might fit into. Most things I had to hand were slightly too small or much too big. In the end I stuffed the extra space in a larger box with a spare t-shirt. I was spoilt by finding a perfectly sized box instantly when packing away my TTCombat dungeon tiles. These DIY ones might require a custom made container.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: 15mm Generic Sci Fi - finished stackable dungeon tiles (22 Jun)
« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2022, 12:43:09 AM »
ID

That looks absolutely amazing!  And so versatile too.

Dan