Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm alien invader robots!  (Read 5351 times)

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
Re: 6mm alien invader robots!
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 03:50:53 PM »
This is true, but then walking warmachines don't make sense either way.

Easiest thing, vallejo game colour turquoise over a zenithal highlight, army painter dark shade wash over that.

Some refining left to do but honestly the big hurdle at the moment is deciding on a shop name and logo, develop a consistent style and the like.

You're planning to do them commercial? Newer studios usually do pretty well releasing a few sample models free and throwing them at mini blogs/forums to get attention going. The market has become quite crowded this year though. Last year boomed 3D printing and even smaller youtuber types are getting in on it while the bigger ones get free printers every other month. Patreons do better than stores and have become the defacto way to sell prints with the stores being there for people missing a months models or wanting something older. Kind of a crappy business model but that's what people want so that's the way it goes.

If you can make them scale up to larger sizes. 6mm can be rough on some printers and resins can be fragile for smaller scale minis. If you can make them scale to 15 or so it opens the market up quite a bit from what I've seen. 28mm is the biggest market but that seems like a huge undertaking and difficult to make multiple sizes unless they're unique models. Weeaboo Eldar probably has some potential..

I don't know if it's worth suggesting but if you're into mecha and a talented 3D sculptor (which you are). There is a huge gap in the market for Gundam add on prints. Suits like the Zudah F, GM Juggler and Gyan Marine are never going to see a kit, but are ideal candidates for a 3D printed add on pack. A new backpack, a gun and a set of shoulders here and there to add to existing HGUC/MG kits would be an afternoons work with a large potential market. Resin add on kits self printed would be a really good way to drive traffic to your 6mm stuff since the market for Japanese mechas going to be the exact same crowd.

I'll have to try that paint recipe later. Got some Infinity stuff looking for a paint job and I think I've just found the one.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 05:01:12 PM »
snipped for size

ah, you got that the wrong way round I think. I sculpt miniatures professionally for a number of manufacturers, I'm branching out to offering some designs as .stl for some of the lines (like the dieselkrieg tanks) as shipping and manufacturing costs have skyrocketed and currently are less viable for especially the smaller scales that require many small casts. I've considered Patreon but it requires a steady consistent output tailored to whatever audience happens to gravitate to you, and sets up a steady expectation of ever increasing models per month as the number of patrons keeps growing. I'm seeing a lot of burnout among my peers and people clustering into groups to keep up with number of figures they need to produce each time and honestly, I'm happy to dodge that bullet. I'll still have months where I'm working exclusively on a boardgame or specific manufacturers line so a monthly output is not for me, and I prefer the feedback with a single customer or small group over trying to negotiate the hivemind most days.

I see the opposite, the 28mm market is flooded already, but many of the designs don't scale well anything smaller than 15mm. I do think these models will do decently at larger scales, again up to 15mm as you say and its not like you can stop people from doing so. Look at Sangennaru/the lazy forgers models getting printed in all scales besides 6mm they were designed in.
I'd rather fill a few niches in a scale I enjoy gaming in rather than competing in an already crowded market, but as my person interests shift and bounce around I'm sure I'll do other scale focused work as well.

There is a big legality question with gunpla addition parts, as anything entirely based existing designs is IP infringement and that's something I'd prefer to stay away from. Inspired by or homaging is one thing, direct copying is another. I do have a few gunpla bits I've made over the years, but the tolerances on bandai's kits so so amazingly tight that the level of prototyping and iteration needed is quite heavy, definitely not a afternoons work. (I can't stand doing a slapdash job on such amazingly engineered kits) that being said I do really want to do some gundam like robots to fight these alien invaders as I don't think there are many not gundams (nondams?) on the market for home printing in smaller scales. For now I might actually game these against 1/400 gashapon gundam kits.

Go for it painting wise, if you are a little less lazy than me a few highlights in there would probably look great. I'm planning to make a horde of these buggers so I try to keep it simple and repeatable.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2022, 04:26:33 PM »
I thought you were someone dabbling into 3D printing not a pro. I'm sure you know more than me and probably have some good connections to get stuff off the ground.

Looking forward to seeing your store open and getting my grubby mitts on some STL files.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2022, 04:36:09 PM »
Just blindly flailing and hoping nobody notices it mate.  :D

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2022, 10:03:22 PM »
here are some quickly painted versions of the railgun and rocket pack, happy with how these work out in the resin. I think I've concluded that while the bright scheme is cooler, the camo scheme is a lot more likely to get me to finish a force of these at some point.

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I'm designing for magnetized weapons from the ground up here.

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
  • Hobbies from Other Dimensions!
    • The Miniature Martin Site
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2022, 02:11:39 AM »
Just blindly flailing and hoping nobody notices it mate.  :D

Funny coincidence, that's what I do...  ;)

Liking how they're looking in these pics, although I can't help thinking the tripod looks, erm... over-endowed... with that railgun twixt its legs.  :D
Operating from an abandoned US spy base somewhere in the Australian outback, Miniature Martin produces games and scale miniatures set in parallel worlds, past and future. He is NOT trying to take over the Earth. This time.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2022, 10:30:30 PM »
Funny coincidence, that's what I do...  ;)

Liking how they're looking in these pics, although I can't help thinking the tripod looks, erm... over-endowed... with that railgun twixt its legs.  :D

Yeah I decided I was going to do 6 designs. 2 bipeds, tripod, quad, Spider and roller. I figured I'd go for 2 top mounted weapons, 2 side and 2 bottom. Making a long story short, here is the quad "legged" bottom mount. I was hoping to evoke a gunship chin mount weapon but again not sure I got that vibe so much as... well a different kind of weapon.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:06:02 PM by YPU »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2022, 08:07:45 PM »
I failed to notice a smudge on my camera so pictures turned out crap, but I grabbed some mech files of thingyverse to use as opposition for these invaders.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2022, 10:28:10 PM »
Those look really sharp! Great figures and terrain- that’s the kind of collection it would be great to game with.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2022, 10:32:34 PM »
Those look really sharp! Great figures and terrain- that’s the kind of collection it would be great to game with.

Thanks!

Sadly that is in the picture is almost all there is to the "collection" at the moment. Now comes the task of printing and painting bucket loads of everything so its actually a war!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2022, 01:04:58 PM »
Time to start painting! I've printed a batch of tripods and the chickens are in the oven as we speak.

Meanwhile, the tank has been detailed and grown a pair of ears.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2022, 04:21:07 PM »
Oh man did I crunch out a whole new design instead of sleeping the past week.

Floaty creepy elite enemy with a big head/hat? checks the boxes I hope!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2022, 04:30:31 PM »
Very cool mate  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2022, 05:26:23 PM »
Great work indeed. Ypu.
That's a strange in a nice way design.

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2022, 08:12:54 PM »
Cheers chaps! I'm hoping to get some stuff on the table for my first game of weaseltech, lets's see how they all look in the field!