Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:29:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690641
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Should I stick with WFB 3rd edition.Or look for pastures new ?  (Read 4255 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Should I stick with WFB 3rd edition.Or look for pastures new ?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2022, 01:58:03 PM »
Big thanks to everyone. You've given me plenty  food for thought. I have to admit I'm still non the wiser. So it's  going to be my mission at Vapnartak on Sunday to spend time rooting rule books to see what I can find from the list of your suggestions.
As it's on the list of suggestions I've already picked up a copy of 6th edition WHFB. I payed the exorbitant ebay price of £7. lol
I still don't get The Warhammer crowd. They were all scraping over issues with battered corners and broken spines. Well into the high twenties. This copy had a minor crease/ fold on the rear cover. No one else even had it in watch.   ::)
Even if in  the end it's becomes a one read shelf sitter. I think it's not going to break the bank. :D
So once again thanks Chaps, I will be rooting for around for other systems to read through.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 02:00:26 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2022, 11:10:33 AM »
Look, why not give me a 3rd Edition rulebook as a gift and I can look through it for you to come up with suggestions?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2022, 11:26:29 AM »
Hi, I was reminded yesterday that James Morris is working on a set of rules called Midgard. From what I can see it is aimed at historical gaming but with more “characters” plus some “magic”. He demo-ed them at Newark last October and I think may be at Hammerhead in early March. He may be at Vapnartak this weekend.

By the way I played KoW two weeks ago. Very simple rules which did little for me. Buckets of dice much in evidence. At one stage my opponent rolled I think 38 dice in one attack!

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2022, 02:29:49 PM »
There is a youtube channel called 'Black Dragoon miniatures they often feature Warhammer Fantasy 6th Edition battle reports. I think both 6/7th edition were decent editions and gave a good game. I think you now have two types of ebay warhammer sellers, the ones who play the game which is where the bargains are, and that small minority who try to rake the prices to fund a second house!
I tried KOW and found the non active player turn just boring, sitting there and watching your opponents do countless rolls is just tedious. I suspect the reason why the defender doesn't fight/ roll back, is just to reduce the dice rolls !

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2022, 02:51:53 PM »
I suspect the reason why the [KOW] defender doesn't fight/ roll back, is just to reduce the dice rolls !
Yep, pretty much! It's actually a deliberate design choice partly to streamline the game, and partly to make the game better for competitive tournament play which allows for chess clocks to measure how long each player has to play. Making saving throws in your opponent's turn (or doing anything in your opponent's turn) could give unscrupulous players a way to "slow play" and rob their opponent of useful time. That said, through extreme streamlining, at least player turns are fairly quick so you don't have too long to wait.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2022, 03:40:27 PM »
By the way I played KoW two weeks ago. Very simple rules which did little for me. Buckets of dice much in evidence. At one stage my opponent rolled I think 38 dice in one attack!

A Horde of Werewolves will roll 36 dice if it flanks an enemy, which is common because that's their main job.

Maybe you can get through to me on this, but why does everyone hate large amounts of dice? IIRC, there were two reasons for the large numbers of dice in Kings of War:
1) to appeal to Warhammer players, and 2) (more importantly) to allow for a lot of granularity in unit types while sticking with just d6s.

Is separating out the hits just not a big deal to me or something? No snark here; I legitimately don't understand, barring mobility issues that make it harder to roll lots of dice at once.
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2022, 04:34:24 PM »
I won’t argue about “buckets of dice”. I guess it is a personal thing. My opponent who I play regularly for various games didn’t have an issue with 36 dice.

As a non-regular fantasy player my big issue was having no idea what the attributes of the enemy was. My problem not KoW’s!

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2022, 04:56:00 PM »
My understanding is that KoW was designed as a game that you could play competitively in an hour and a half (using chess clocks) which is why in a game turn one player does everything. If you are playing under time pressures your opponents turn shouldn't be too long otherwise the danger is that the other player could lose interest.

As someone who grew up with GW games I'm perfectly comfortable with buckets of dice but equally I cam see whynit won't be for everyone- it's not particularly elegant!

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2022, 05:35:09 PM »
I appreciate your replies. I honestly just don't understand the buckets o' dice hate. I do know one player of DBx that didn't like it because he was just that accustomed to a single die, but even he said it was personal preference.

I asked because I've seen borderline disgust at using lots of dice elsewhere, as if it's bad design rather than just one of many options.

While I encourage everyone to try Kings of War at least once, I can completely understand if it's not one's cup of tea. In my case it was a mental block-breaker; didn't think I had the attention span for a rank-and-flank game before I tried it. I like the minis range, too.

Offline Aerendar Valandil

• Librarian
    • Amsterdam6Shooters Wargames Club
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2022, 07:42:25 PM »
I'm a total buckets of dice-lover.

I'd like to add that at this point i play both -

- Warhammer Renaissance - mentioned earlier, a 4th/5th ed. WHFB spinoff available for free on the facebook page, and
https://www.facebook.com/groups/229862157776959

- Warhammer Armies project, based on 8th but well modified into an edition that reeks of 3rd., free on:
https://warhammerarmiesproject.blogspot.com/

- I like Oathmark.

- Dragon Rampant is nice but, as said by others, much smeller in scope.

If anything: always use Warhammer basing: 2x2, 2.5x2.5, 2.5x5.0 square/rectangular. Then you can always use them for any geme, with or without the use of sabots.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2022, 10:53:35 PM »
Paul,
That's a very kind offer. However I COULD NOT in  good conscience.
Force a Welsh man to read English on my behalf .

I'm at Vapnartak at the weekend so I'll see if James is floating  around.

Most definitely not a fan of buckets of dice.. Pre Covid a mate convinced me to come a 40k game at club in City centre.
I last left after ten minutes ( It sound a bit pompous and rude.) It was huge game with twelve player's  the first ork unit had 58 yes 58 D6 left to roll to wound.
It took me nanosecond to realise they had every intention of playing through the night if need be. I'm married there's not a cat in Hells chance I could ring her in doors and say I was staying out all night to play toy soldiers.  More to the point I'd no intention of staying out all night playing with toys.
So I said it was unfair of me to start a game I simply couldn't  see through to it's finish. Wished them all the best and we went for a pint, Then I was in trouble for being late home with a perfectly traditional stagger.Followed by a perfectly traditional hang over.
Besides it gave me horrific flash backs to working for Games Workshop. I was a round peg in a square hole.They were of the opinion that having made toys all day I should the  spend my evenings playing games with same people I'd been stuck in a room with for ten hours. Where I was happier with the lads from the factory floor who's opinion was Rocky City Alcohol and the search for the opportunity to have breasts involved in your evening and hopefully the early morning too.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2022, 11:29:19 PM »
Paul,
That's a very kind offer. However I COULD NOT in  good conscience.
Force a Welsh man to read English on my behalf .

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2022, 04:10:42 AM »
 lol

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2022, 05:29:59 PM »
Well, I find making my own rules up to be quite fun!  That way, you are always playing something you want to play!  lol
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2022, 07:59:17 PM »
The issue I have with buckets of dice is that it is slow. You have to count out the correct number of dice, roll them, retrieve the ones that went on the floor because the player didn’t roll them in a box. Then count the hits, then probably roll saves. It is slow compared to an opposed dice roll