Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:17:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686472
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Adventures in Aooghastan  (Read 850 times)

Offline ColCampbell

• Assistant
    • Col Campbell's Barracks
Adventures in Aooghastan
« on: January 30, 2022, 10:02:34 PM »
Many years ago, the Jackson Gamers had a series of colonial games that were loosely linked into a campaign.  We fought up the Green Nile, through the Pass of Madness into Aooghastan, and onto the plains of the Yazoolo using the venerable "The Sword and the Flame" rules and all of our "true" 25mm colonial troops - British, Indian, Egyptian, Mahdist, Arab, Pashtun, German, and Zulu.

Over the past several months, I've been experimenting with a new set of rules -- "The Men Would Would Be Kings" from Osprey Publishing.  I got 'hooked' on them thanks to Neil of Toy Soldiers and Dining Room Battles blog and his 'Anglo-Russian War' thread.  I've grown to like the to and fro nature of these rules so I've begun to collect and paint 28mm figures for an imaginary campaign so time around 1900ish in the Princely State of Aooghastan, somewhere in the India-Afghanistan-Persia tri-border area.

The combatants will be the British Empire and her Indian subjects, the Russian Empire, the Princely State of Aooghastan, and an Ottoman- influenced Persian province.  Here are what I've done so far:

http://colcampbellbarracks.blogspot.com/2021/12/the-ussians-are-coming-ussians-are.html

http://colcampbellbarracks.blogspot.com/2022/01/russian-artillery-for-great-game.html

http://colcampbellbarracks.blogspot.com/2022/01/british-infantry-for-great-game.html

Jim

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Re: Adventures in Aooghastan
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 02:52:23 AM »
Nice work, Colonel!  I look forward to following this very cool new project of yours as it progresses!  I'm especially curious to see what figures you use for your Persian/Ottoman client faction.

(If you haven't yet, you may want to check out the "Never Trust Anyone on the Frontier!" thread, which also has a plot-thread involving Russian intervention.  Here's a LINK to the page where the Russian player enters the fray: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131610.345.  The Russkies have yet to directly engage Anglo-Indian forces... but you never know what the future may hold.)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 02:56:54 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Online Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 11:56:37 AM »
looks very interesting

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 09:28:40 PM »
Hi Colonel, great stuff Jim! I’m really enjoying seeing your collection and additions. I’m very happy to see some of Mark’s troops soldiering on. I always wondered what happened to them. Like MG, I’ve been a big fan of your blog for a while.

As we discussed I’ve fairly recently ran one of your group’s Ahoogastan scenarios at the SMG Das Krieg Haus in Fort Lauderdale as well as at  Hurricon last year, both using TSATF. Are you going to replay the existing Ahoogastan battles with TMWWBK if so I would really look forward to seeing your AAR’s. I’ve played all the scenarios of the Ahoogastan campaign with TSATF, even one game with Jay at Recon in 2004 or 2005.

MG didn’t know that you and I had already discussed our NWF campaign on LAF. It’s quite the epic undertaking with some awesome gamers!

I will keep dropping by your blog to see your progress. Please keep posting