Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:44:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690466
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sashes and aiguillettes worn by Napoleonic era French Colonels?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline photocrinch

• Librarian
Sashes and aiguillettes worn by Napoleonic era French Colonels?
« on: February 21, 2022, 07:20:28 PM »
I have the quite nice set of Line Infantry Mounted Colonels in plastic produced by "Waterloo 1815, but have found one of the sculpts quite challenging. It depicts a French line officer, presumably a Colonel, wearing aiguillettes and a sash.

Questions:

1) When were aiguillettes introduced for French officers – (sometime around 1812?), and how universally used were they?

2) Would line Colonels have had the option of wearing a gold waist sash? (I have seen them on generals and marshals but I don't think I have ever seen a depiction of a Colonel wearing one).

Here is a link to the set in question and the review in plastic soldier review, which calls out the depiction as quite accurate (with sash and aiguillettes):

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1590

The figure in question is Row 2 figure 3.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

David

Offline John Boadle

• Bookworm
Re: Sashes and aiguillettes worn by Napoleonic era French Colonels?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 07:39:24 PM »
I'm not as familiar with Napoleonics as once I was, but I would say French regimental officers didn't wear either sashes or aiguillettes at all, full stop. Either this figure is an error or else he's supposed to be from another army.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 12:52:49 AM »
A General would have a sash and aiguilettes.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline photocrinch

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 04:14:14 AM »
Thanks all.  I am learning that by and large the aiguillettes were confined to the Imperial Guard and a few others.  The command sash would indicate a general, though this sash appears narrower and may have been intended as some sort of sword belt rather than a command sash.

Offline forrester

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 09:30:53 PM »
It doesn't sound at all like a French mounted officer.
The set appears to relate to a variety of armies so might be intended for something else eg Dutch?

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 01:24:01 AM »
That figure is a bit of a question mark. His Hungarian-style boots and sabre would point toward light infantry, except light infantry colonels didn't wear aiguillettes which, as you did point out, were speficic to the Imperial Guard. It is hard to make out his shako plate but the figure may have been intended as a Young Guard officer with the sculptor mistakenly giving him an aiguillette instead of a second fringed epaulette. He isn't wearing a sash though, just a waistbelt.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 01:59:41 AM »
That figure is a bit of a question mark. His Hungarian-style boots and sabre would point toward light infantry, except light infantry colonels didn't wear aiguillettes which, as you did point out, were speficic to the Imperial Guard. It is hard to make out his shako plate but the figure may have been intended as a Young Guard officer with the sculptor mistakenly giving him an aiguillette instead of a second fringed epaulette. He isn't wearing a sash though, just a waistbelt.

Agreed.

The sash is indeed a sword belt, so I would cut off the aiguillette and he would be fine as a light infantry officer.

Offline photocrinch

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 04:10:21 AM »
I am more and more inclined to do just that, as the aiguillettes would be easy enough to remove.  A shame I already painted his surtout though.  :{

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 02:26:00 PM »
I would just leave it then.

There were so many quirks and personal adjustments in French uniforms that I don't think it really matters.

Offline photocrinch

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 11:18:09 PM »
Thanks Ray - you have a valid point!