Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:04:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Michael's 10mm 1809 Project  (Read 1177 times)

Offline SupremeLittlenessDesigns

• Bookworm
    • Supreme Littleness Designs
Michael's 10mm 1809 Project
« on: March 02, 2022, 01:29:54 PM »
I've entered this 10mm French Marshal into the February'22 Pendraken Painting Competition for a bit of fun.

More entries can be seen here:

https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,21539.0.html

He's the most recently painted of my 10mm 1809 project, the beginnings of which were well documented here:

http://www.michaelscott.name/1809/1809.htm

Cheers, Michael

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Michael's 10mm 1809 Project
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 11:21:25 PM »
Looks good so far  Michael.  I see your plan of narrowing it right down to stay focused. It's a good plan.  Basing looks good. I like that 6 bases equal a battalion, each a company. That is exactly the same as I like to do in 28mm. However, with the Army level you are aiming at that is going to be VERY granular isn't it? a hell of a lot of tiny bases to move in a game.  I want to see how that works out for you, and would like to talk to you more about that.
 Some of those buildings were good finds. I look forward to seeing the brickworks and tileworks. You mentioned they were going to have little courtyards; will you make the HQs little dioramas with the odd dragoon messenger hanging about or other random REMF "hangers-on" that tend to accumulate at HQs?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 05:53:17 AM »
Very nicely done, good luck.

Offline SupremeLittlenessDesigns

• Bookworm
    • Supreme Littleness Designs
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 12:05:52 PM »
Thanks, Norm!

Looks good so far  Michael.  I see your plan of narrowing it right down to stay focused. It's a good plan.  Basing looks good. I like that 6 bases equal a battalion, each a company. That is exactly the same as I like to do in 28mm. However, with the Army level you are aiming at that is going to be VERY granular isn't it? a hell of a lot of tiny bases to move in a game.  I want to see how that works out for you, and would like to talk to you more about that.
 Some of those buildings were good finds. I look forward to seeing the brickworks and tileworks. You mentioned they were going to have little courtyards; will you make the HQs little dioramas with the odd dragoon messenger hanging about or other random REMF "hangers-on" that tend to accumulate at HQs?

I always thought it would be fun if my figure basing allowed a game to be played at a one base equals one company level if I ever wanted. For my 1809 project, I’ve stuck with my original plan to have one base equal 300 close order infantry and battalions are either one, two or three bases, which corresponds reasonably with the mixed sizes of battalions of the period.

I mentioned the brickworks back in 2012 and they’ve remained a fascination every since because of their prominence in battlefield maps and the use Napoleon made of them during the two days of battle. I’ve done a good deal of research on their possible look and have always wanted to attempt a model. However, the unfortunate reality of my corner-of-the-battlefield setup is that the high command and the brickworks are more than likely to remain off-table.

A note about dragoons: a messenger perhaps but one of the peculiarities of Napoleon’s army in 1809 is that he didn’t command any dragoons until Eugene arrived in time for Wagram. But a dragoon messenger might give me the welcome chance to paint one!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 02:59:17 PM »

I always thought it would be fun if my figure basing allowed a game to be played at a one base equals one company level if I ever wanted. For my 1809 project, I’ve stuck with my original plan to have one base equal 300 close order infantry and battalions are either one, two or three bases, which corresponds reasonably with the mixed sizes of battalions of the period.

Oh apologies I must have misread something somewhere then. (I was reading it late at night) Yes I was going to suggest 2 or 3 bases for a battalion, it is an abstraction but it does at least allow to show different formations.

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 10:58:52 AM »
Your blog is inspirational