Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:09:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690789
  • Total Topics: 118350
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dunsterforce - Jangalis (Which figures to use)  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Pompier

• Schoolboy
Dunsterforce - Jangalis (Which figures to use)
« on: March 26, 2022, 04:20:00 PM »
I am hoping to do some BoB/Dunsterforce gaming -  with a few gaming friends having built forces for Gallipolli there are some Turks, Brits, and ANZACs that can be co-opted for use.

Reading through the excellent  Adventures of Dunsterforce supplement for STEA I am unsure of which figures would make suitable Jangalis.

In the photo's it appears that Afghan tribesmen have been used with some conversion.

Does this sound about right to people?

I know Perry and Wargames Atlantic both have plastic boxed sets (the latter having the advantage of likley being compatible with the soon-to-be released WW1 Russians which could represent the influx of Russian equipment they purchased following the revolution) which would be cost effective.

Empress have some more 'modern' armed Afghans in their Jazz age which could be included too.

Any chance these could also be used for some more Pulpy battles at Bukhara?

Thanks

Offline Dr Bogo

• Librarian
Re: Dunsterforce - Jangalis (Which figures to use)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 10:40:04 AM »
Although I'm by no means an expert... I think you're broadly right in using the Afghans as a starting point, as there is a distinct dearth of figures who are in the right clothing to represent the type of Caucasus/Middle Eastern irregulars that the Jangalis are part of the same broad family as (thinking Armenian Dashnaks, Assyrians etc.)

So that being said Afghans would be a good starting point, but in terms of figures I would be inclined to go for Empress (even though you don't get the mass of plastics you need for the Dunsterforce Jangali units), just because most of the photos I've seen tend to show them with bandoliers of modern rifle ammunition, which I know the Empress figures have and don't think the more 19th century-focused Perry/WA ones do. As you say though, with a few Russian bits and bobs there I think that could be rectified easily.

Head swaps would probably be the best bet to get them looking specifically like Jangalis, and as far as I've seen they tend to have a pretty eclectic mixture of headwear, including ragged long hair with no cover at all, fezzes, Russian army caps, kalpak-Astrakhan hats, and a peculiar sort of mushroom-shaped fez that almost looks like an ancient Persian cap, and I'm sure more Afghan-style turbans and Turcoman type shaggy hats would have been thrown in the mix too.

Not sure if that helps!

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 07:35:00 PM »
As Dr. Bogo stated, the more latter-period Afghan figures are a good starting point. But, as I pointed out in my Dunsterforce book (I think I replied to another thread about Jangalis), there is an Appendix that has suggestions for figures. Such as using the Russian Civil War figures with the lower/flatter type of Russian fur hat (or modifying them a bit). Plus, to save money, mix in regular Russian non-uniform types will not hurt as well. That said, agreed, no one company makes them, so trying to keep it simple enough to get "the look" and same a few pence, works.

Glad you enjoyed my Dunsterforce book. Stay tuned, as a new book should be available some time this year. I'll post the cover once it goes to layout (in final edit now). But, I'm not out of the desert just yet... ;-)

Offline Pompier

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 12:58:57 PM »
Thanks both - some really helpful insight.

Looking forward to the next book!!