Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:27:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions for One Inch Round Bases?  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Suggestions for One Inch Round Bases?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2022, 08:32:15 AM »
I used to use 1p coins but in the last few years have moved over to 25mm dia steel washers, which I much prefer for their profiled edge, footprint, thinness, and weight.

I was late to the party because having to deal with ‘the hole’ seemed like an unnecessary effort. In fact it isn’t:  if the hole isn’t covered by a mini’s integral base then I merely cap it by supergluing a sliver of paper over.

Like Chris above, I attach the mini to the base before priming/painting, including whatever texture I am going to use (which is usually sand sprinkled onto superglue). For painting, I use blutac to attach the base to a bottle top, which makes it easy to paint and varnish around the rim and slightly underneath it, for a similar result to Cubs..

Washers have a rounded and a sharp edge to their rim; it might not bother you but I like to have the sharp edge uppermost as - and I might just be imagining this - the rounded edge seems to fair much better on rough tabletop terrain.

For figures that come with tabs etc, washers are a bit more problematic as drilling pin holes isn’t realistic. I tend to remove the tab then put a couple of very small pins into the feet, to which are glued small risers cut from scrap plasticard. These plasticard risers are then glued to the washer with the sand texture worked around it to lock the mini in place. Alternatively I cut back the tab to leave a small ‘key’ beneath each foot, which similarly locks into the superglued sand.

Mounted figures are dealt with by gluing the horse’s base to two washers, then covering the gaps with strips of paper (and if necessary GS) before texturing over. This is quite a bit more of a hassle but for me it’s worth it so that foot and mounted have a consistent aesthetic.

Edit:
I’ve put some WIP and finished examples in my gallery, which might help:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=1554;u=2031

NB: the WOTC Wookies are an example that have risers beneath their feet.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 08:45:34 AM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline ignis-fatuus

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2022, 04:36:14 PM »
Mounted figures are dealt with by gluing the horse’s base to two washers, then covering the gaps with strips of paper (and if necessary GS) before texturing over. This is quite a bit more of a hassle but for me it’s worth it so that foot and mounted have a consistent aesthetic.

Nice work with the washer bases. I really like the low profile the more I look at examples of miniatures based with washers. It does seem that double-wide based miniatures (mounted figures in your case) can be an issue. It looks looks like the use of green stuff solves the problem for the most part, though.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2022, 08:55:01 AM »
I use the square version of these bad boys.  They were great, if you can get them in your home country.  You definitely want to use a texture to cover up the wood grain.  If a poke around a bit, you can usually find them for under a nickel each.

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Unfinished-Cutouts-Ornaments-Decoration/dp/B08BLH5TPW/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?crid=37HQ10UGS37IC&keywords=one+inch+round+wood&qid=1649058664&sprefix=one+inch+round+wood%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-17

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2022, 10:29:02 AM »
For me, it totally depends on which miniature I'm prepping and painting.

Fantasy miniatures tend to go onto the old and tried square GW-style bases, 20, 25 or 40mm, depending on the unit. But if a specific gaming system requires a different type of base, I'll stick to those. Think Warmachine for instance, with its round lipped bases.

The same goes for Scifi miniatures; they usually go onto 25mm round bases of the slotta variety, or 32, 40 or 60mm where required. I do this not only for my oldhammer 40K miniatures, but also for units I paint up with no specific system in mind, just so they can fit in with the existing lot. And here too, certain systems might require different bases.

And then there are my not fantasy or scifi miniatures, such as modern, WW2 and pulp ranges. They get based on washers or Renedra plastic sheet bases, which have roughly the same profile as the washers. Cavalry and large units get Renedra bases as well.

Oh and of course there's an outlier in my story; my Lord of the Rings project is based on washers and Renedra's as well, just because :D  Here I glue integrated bases of miniatures directly onto the washer/base and work them in with some modeling putty. I do this with both plastic integrated bases and metal ones, although I have had to thin down a few of the latter by filing them to the desired thickness (Reaper miniatures for instance).

Furthermore, I occasionally paint up a miniature that is not directly intended for gaming, and I tend to go with a bit more elaborate base in those cases. These could be specific resin ones, lipped bases or something else altogether...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2022, 09:10:30 PM »
I use 1" fender washers. Cheap, locally available every day, and they add a bit of weight that is helpful with some plastic figures.

This is my go-to as well. Work fantastically.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2022, 06:52:27 AM »
While I use sheet metal bases, square or rectangles, I do prime both sides (like others, one side primed at the same time as the figure/figures on the base) because I prefer the aesthetic if the base is ever visible on a game table.  Also, easier to label a primed base than an unprimed base - using colored, including black, Sharpies.  Of course, the labelled bases interfere a bit with the aesthetic but sure is easier to 're-sort' labelled bases.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2022, 07:59:39 AM »
I've been using Reapers base boss bases with a washer inserted to add some weight if needed for minis. I tend to prefer the space because it means that I don't need to pick the mini up by the mini and can grab the base itself...it annoys me when people grab by the mini with any I've spent time painting...plus it allows me to add things to differentiate the mini itself there with paint on the rims.

For scatter terrain that needs bases, I've been using the WizKids ones that came with their deep cuts/nolzurs lines. They're extremely flat and work well enough to place other minis on the edges of them if needed.