Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:14:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690801
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] A tale of a Madman (BIG Update incl. Dragon)  (Read 12700 times)

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
Re: [15mm] A tale of a Madman (update 19.11.)
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2022, 05:00:41 PM »
After all plans crumbled this weekend, and i was able to get some free time, i finally finished some stuff. Sadly my camera still was not with me, but i changed from the old phone to a tablet camera, which is slightly better.

After reading the blog post of Nic Wright developing his siege rules for Fantastic Battles, an old idea reappeared. After seeing Fogou Models Ringfort I wanted to build one in 15mm. A failed attempted in November, some more research and lucky find on ebay later, i got everything i needed to try it again this week. My progress was much faster, thx to the xps cubes i found on ebay.

So lets talk some Facts. The dimensions and rough size come from the Ringfort Grianan of Aileach. The Wall has a rough size of about 5cm hight, is >4cm deep and the inner dimeter is about 23cm.

First some overview

The stairs are separate

And some more 'Action'

Also i got my new order from Spellcrow. These are my new recruits for Tzeentch.

Let us talk about 10mm Fantasy and its size comparison. Lets start by talking about Spellcrow Argatoria. They are relatively big, at least some models. Like their Voraks (My Tzeentch). If anybody needs some comparison on them, i have a lot of them in my lead pile.
GW Warmaster are small, but some of them fit also, like these boars from a ork chariot. And then i have some Trolls Under the Bridge, they are definitely on the smaller side like GW. But i wanted smaller chaos hounds and i love them also in 15mm, also the bigger trolls or ogres are also promising.
So here we see from left to right copplestone miniatures/ral partha demonworld/spellcrow 10mm/alternative armies/splintered light

And here we have from the left Xyston irish wolf hound/Spellcrow 10mm my chaos hound for tzeentch or ghost wolf/joan d'arc board game wolf/GW Warmaster Boar/Trolls under the Bridge chaos hound

And here with some 15mm baueda pigs

And last but not least my 15mm multi-base 40x40, magnetised.

I hope you guys like my mega update  o_o
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 05:03:50 PM by LoxIslay »

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Re: [15mm] A tale of a Madman (update 18.12.)
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2022, 05:30:42 PM »
That fort is übercool  :o

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2022, 05:38:15 PM »
That fort is übercool  :o

Thank you reed

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2022, 05:41:48 PM »
That is absolutely magnificent!  :o :o  :-*

How did you do those multi-bases? Are they selfmade or bought somewhere? I need /something like this for 1 & 2 ct. slots!

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2022, 06:00:25 PM »
thx

They are crafted from scratch. The lower surface is cardboard, then a layer of magnetic foil, and then a layer of foam rubber with the holes in it. I think i will change the magnetic foil against neodym magnets.
I made a marker tool out of a old soda can, for the circle sice.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2022, 06:42:06 PM »
thx

They are crafted from scratch. The lower surface is cardboard, then a layer of magnetic foil, and then a layer of foam rubber with the holes in it. I think i will change the magnetic foil against neodym magnets.
I made a marker tool out of a old soda can, for the circle sice.

👍 pretty good idea! And very useful.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2022, 01:35:13 AM »
I love the fort. 

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2022, 07:51:27 PM »

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2022, 11:24:48 AM »
Lovely work

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2022, 10:27:03 PM »
Lovely work

Thank you.

Today something different. Yesterday i planed to do hobby stuff all day. But i was so damn tired. But at least i got a game in. I wanted a quick skirmish and choose ravenfeast as a rule system. Simple rules, the right thing for a tired gamer  lol

I also took some pictures and noticed today that they don't fit a traditional report at all. So let me tell you a small story, of a young arrogant dwarven prince.

Since days they were traveling through the forlorn landscape of the highlands. The cold was creeping through the armour and their bones. All of this only because of some rumours. These rangers in their old ring forts are simply to superstitious. Standing all day and night in the cold rain, without anything to do. For sure everybody would start to see some strange shadows in the dark. But if your King gives an Order you obey, especially if the King is your father. Nevertheless Hermann couldn’t understand, why he had to investigate these rumours. 

The last low rays of the setting sun, gave the countryside some mysteries golden glow. Hermann followed the wind playing with the tall grass, as he noticed something in the distance. Strange figures with glowing red eyes. The silence of the evening was disturbed by some wired screams and squeaks.

Ulf the oldest of the guard grabbed the young prince and pulled him further up the road. Jelling commands to the Berserkers, to hinder the assault.

Sharp barking echoed over the high plateau, as the rangers let the wolfhounds lose. They immediately  intercepted a group of slingers

The chaos of a skirmish was all around Hermann. To his front a ugly rat warrior blocked the path to the fort and in his back the berserkers screamed in pain, still struggling to stop a giant beast.

Ulf ran, jumped and pushed some rat warriors back, just to get himself encircled in a bloody brawl.

Yet Hermann tried to break free, chopping up some nasty rodent, who was in his way.

The whining of the dogs, as they got overwhelmed, shocked the dwarfed warriors. But even more disheartening was the cries and the sound of braking bones of the rearguard.

Overwhelmed by the situation Herman witnessed, how Ulf was wounded by a spear to the shoulder, bevor the best of the guard, in one mighty blow split a rat in half. Fighting for his survival Ulf killed rat after rat. Meanwhile the prince hasted forward, only to get cut of by a group of rats. In this dire moment a bloodcurdling scream from the rear silenced the fighting. The shadows disappeared back into the dark, which was overwhelming the last light of the day. The final worrier of the rear guard struck a nasty cut and fought the pack leader off.

I hope my little report wasn’t to strange, but i wanted to capture which story developed in my brain while playing. I started with a rough imaginary sketch of the backstories in my brain. And as my dwarven leader failed every heroic task, a clearer picture of certain character was created. The games was very tied up to the last turn. Both groups reached their 50% break limited and the dwarves there simply better at moral checks. The Rates failed every single one an fled the game or got slain.
In the end very simple rules gave me so much fun and a relative deep character background for the next match. Also a nice side note, two gutter runners got obliterated by the two dwarven rangers and their crossbows in the ring fort. (didn’t fit the report)

And my army lists if anybody wants to try them, with the free viking rules from LittleWars TV

« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 12:10:26 AM by LoxIslay »

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [15mm] A tale of a Madman (update 26.12.)
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2022, 11:16:09 PM »
I tremendously enjoyed the report together with the pictures. Nice tabletop with a suitable battle. Just imagining how nasty it must be to be a Dwarf ranger…rain, wind, cold … and then the madness of a Skaven attack!

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2022, 08:24:15 PM »
Inspired and motivated by florian it was time to give these rules a second go.

The bed felt good under his sore body. Hermann was glad that they survived another day. He glanced a last time over Ulf who had fallen asleep over his last beer. The shoulder was still wet, and the nasty wound just had stoped bleeding. For sure only a scratch for Ulf, a strong blood line worth of a own Kingdom was flowing in these veins. But they preferred to serve since generations, Hermann had read every single book in the great library in the great mountain castle. He missed home badly. The strong voice of the rangers caption brought him back to reality, as some riot seemed to break out in front of the door.
Waldemar the caption of the Ringfort had been shocked, all these dead bodies along his path back to the fort. He felt an deep anger, that the young price had ben attacked under his watch. For the night he doubled the guards, and expected everything, but not the god damn squeaking from the well. A torch high over his head, he screamed into the pitch black night, to get his man ready for the fight. (couldn't resit the rime lol)

In a furious Charge Hermann and the last of his bodyguard burst into the open, followed by the lone warrior. Only Ulf was still sleeping, despite the deafening noise all around him. In the open it seemed that the rats there gushing out of the well, like water from a fresh spring. Squeaking from the walls grew louder and louder. A burning rage overcame the young prince, striking with the might of a thousand dwarfs, until the first head went flying.

Slowly but surely the sound all around changed. Less and less familiar voices there shouting and more and more wheezing could be heard. In front of his eyes the well swallowed the dead body of the captain. Just in this tense moment, the strong familiar voice of Ulf drowned the noice of battle. Pushing Hermann to the side, the old dog slammed into the next best rat, inspiring dwarfs all around him.

The skirmish around the well intensified more and more. The situation was dire, to his left the last guardsman and ranger laid dad, over to his right only Ulf was standing to his feed the brave warrior, who had saved the evening bevor. But Hermanns axe was sharp, keeping his head clear, he kept  on killing rat after rat.

In a short moment of peace he noticed the Rangers of the gate kept shooting to the outside. That was then the young prince realised, that there was no there to go. With his back to the Gate he kept on fighting. On the other side the dog handler was barely surviving side by side with his brave companions. Swarmed by rats and ogres he wasn't able to hold for much longer.

Ulf was swinging his axe in big motions, trying to keep the focus of these ugly rats. He had sworn an oath to die for the king and his sun.

Wave after Wave was broken by Ulf. Hermann also kept killing each rat, which was able to reach him. A ranger had abandoned the walls and was now fighting by his side. Hermann hated the idea to die in this filthy ring fort, but he nearly had no hope left. The ground was soaked with blood, and his feed kept on sinking deeper and deeper in the mud. He saw Ulf fighting in a blind range, with a strangely big ratman. Both armed with a two handed axe kept on exchanging blow after blow. While Ulf also was able to keep several other foes at bay.
Unable to believe his eyes, a feeling overwhelmed the young dwarf. Something had shattered in his hard, and now shards of it teared his soul apart. His mentor, his old friend was dropping lifeless to the ground.

Hermann and his fellow ranger climbed up the wall, only to see the last friendly face dropping from it, to abandon them. It seemed that no hope was left, and he was  soon able to join all the dusty books in his beloved library at home. Just another story of a dad dwarfen prince and another inherited grudge.

The ugly yellow grin of a rat assassin brought Hermann back to the cold highland night. With an abrupt hit of his hilt he send these yellow teeth fling, only to crush what was left of the filthy rodent. Immediately turning as he heard the squeaking voice of the clan leader striking another fierce blow, wounding the enemy immediately. Another blow followed, leaving the rat barely clinging on to the life. Screaming and whining the rat started to flee and with him his hole force lost its spirit.

A super close game. I thought everything was over by turn three. But Hermann was able to keep on surviving. Rarely had such an intense TT Battle. Gave the Rats an free ogre, and the dewarfs only what was left.

Rangers without crossbow are 4/0/3/3/4/18Pts inclouding the captain.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2022, 08:50:20 PM »
What a blast! Close call dor the Dwarfs, I’d say. With all those wounded and slain they are in desperate need of reinforcements.

Again a very enjoyable AAR. Thanks for uploading it.

Offline chaplain severus

• Librarian
    • http://www.berkshirewargaming.com
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2023, 12:43:34 PM »
Really nice stuff. I like the 15mm choice.  Just found Forbidden Psalm this weekend and will be giving it a test run this afternoon.  Keep posting.
"Hige sceal pe heardra, heorte pe cenre, mod sceal pe mare pe ure maegen lytlao"

"Will shall be the sterner, heart the bolder, and spirit the greater as our strength lessens."
-English Proverb

http://www.berkshirewargaming.com

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2023, 04:05:07 PM »
What a blast! Close call dor the Dwarfs, I’d say. With all those wounded and slain they are in desperate need of reinforcements.

Again a very enjoyable AAR. Thanks for uploading it.
Thank you.

I planned the next scenario out, got many dwarfs in shiny armor in reserve. Rescue mission is on its way.

Really nice stuff. I like the 15mm choice.  Just found Forbidden Psalm this weekend and will be giving it a test run this afternoon.  Keep posting.
Thx, forbidden psalm makes a lot of fun!