Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:49:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tempted to dip toe in to WSS  (Read 877 times)

Offline TheDilfy

• Librarian
Tempted to dip toe in to WSS
« on: April 09, 2022, 01:48:57 PM »
I'm tempted to dip my toe into WSS and have decided on a Savoyard Army in 28mm. Which manufacturer makes Savoyard figures in 28mm? Thank you.
Climber, Motorbiking, Board gaming and Wargaming

Offline Hwiccee

• Bookworm
Re: Tempted to dip toe in to WSS
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 08:57:03 AM »
Generally for this period there was little difference between uniforms in different armies. So you can use nearly any figures for nearly any army.

For the Savoyard army the mounted troops are all standard types with tricornes and no visible breastplate. The ordinary infantry are standard types in tricornes. The grenadiers wear a bearskin with a bag hanging down the side. The grenadier hat is basically the type worn by the Austrian/Imperialist grenadiers.

I can't help you with manufacturers as I don't fight skirmishes in 28mm. But I would guess most ranges will have suitable figures.

Offline TheDilfy

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 10:47:33 AM »
Thank you for the reply much appreciated.

Offline Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 12:32:05 PM »
I can't claim to be an expert on the subject, but I've seen people mention on forums that their infantry often wore their coats open. Ebor Miniatures have a regiment option in open coats that lists Savoy as one of its possible applications. I think I've also seen pictures of them with their coats done up and the swordbelt over the coat. Like Hwiccee said, the uniforms are very similar across armies.

This is the link to that Ebor pack (their range is lovely and has multi-buy deals for regiments):

http://www.eborminiatures.com/products-page/wars-of-the-spanish-succession-regiments/wss-foot-regiment-in-open-coats-marching-wssfr23/

I'd suggest joining the Beneath the Lily Banners group on Facebook and asking there as well. There are a lot of people on there with knowledge of the period, and someone posted some old plates of Savoy troops a few days ago.

Edit: it's also worth searching for old topics on the League of Augsburg's 'Fighting Talk' when trying to find out things about the period:

https://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/fightingtalk/index.php

Also, add this website into your favourites if you haven't already seen it. It's a great source for uniform colours and flags:

http://www.bandieresabaude.it/index1.html
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 12:39:37 PM by Adam »

Offline TheDilfy

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 01:13:09 PM »
Brilliant information thank you Adam  :)

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 04:43:24 PM »
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club