Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:46:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Please select all factions you had a usable army of (not just a handful of models).

The Empire
49 (11.2%)
High Elves
29 (6.7%)
Wood Elves
24 (5.5%)
Dark Elves
20 (4.6%)
Dwarves
43 (9.9%)
Chaos (any variety)
45 (10.3%)
Orcs and goblins
59 (13.5%)
Chaos Dwarves
7 (1.6%)
Bretonnia
32 (7.3%)
Undead (any variety)
53 (12.2%)
Ogres
10 (2.3%)
Skaven
24 (5.5%)
Lizardmen
21 (4.8%)
Other (Norse, Tilea, Kislev etc)
20 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Poll: What Warhammer fantasy armies did you collect?  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
Poll: What Warhammer fantasy armies did you collect?
« on: April 09, 2022, 04:14:45 PM »
Hi everyone,
I sometimes wonder which of the GW models and ranges sold best and worst. Although this poll isn’t going to tell us this exactly, it would give a reasonable sense of what armies were more and less popular.

Apologies if this has been done.

I know some of these broad factions later got subdivided (undead, Chaos etc) but I’ve lumped them together to make the results neater.
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Re: Poll: What Warhammer fantasy armies did you collect?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 04:34:51 PM »
Over what time period? I've been playing WFB since 2nd that's a lot of armies but back then armies were a lot different to the last editions of WFB.

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 05:05:07 PM »
Period not specified. It’s a pretty broad poll, and the results are going to be broad, but that’s what I am going for.

So I suppose it’s basically ‘what armies have you *ever* collected?’

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 05:37:18 PM »
Ok well given I've been collecting,on and off, since 1984 that was pretty much all of them not including my third edition Slann. I think the only armies I've never collected is Dark elves ( though I did collect a dark elf Man'o'war fleet) and Ogre Kingdoms (though I had a big unit of ogre mercenaries in 3rd).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 06:09:48 PM by Diablo Jon »

Offline Drunkendwarf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 05:49:11 PM »
Most collecting I did was during 5th and 6th edition. I have a complete DoW army (unpainted :D); shouldn't they have their own entry given the complete official miniature range and armybook from GW? Now I ticked "other" :?

DJ

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 05:57:55 PM »
Had a modest-sized army's worth of 90's High Elf figures over the years, though I never used 'em to actually play WFB - they were used as figure upgrades for another game entirely.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 06:30:54 PM »
Most collecting I did was during 5th and 6th edition. I have a complete DoW army (unpainted :D); shouldn't they have their own entry given the complete official miniature range and armybook from GW? Now I ticked "other" :?

DJ

You’re right, I probably should have done a Dogs of War entry. I knew I would forget at least one!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 06:47:20 PM »
I’ve not really done WHFB since 1st or 2nd Edition when armies were very much bring what you’ve got. So I’ve added my Warmaster armies to the poll instead (and only the painted ones)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 09:25:00 PM »
I have a few unpainted dragon hoards which are not usable armies but definitely not just a handful of models either. lol

(However, a few painted ones too.)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2022, 09:28:44 PM »
I had several scattered pieces from a lot of armies that I thought were interesting, but the armies that I did the most with was a Vampire Counts and Lizardmen.

On top of that, I had a few smaller forces with some Kislev (which ended up lost in a move), a Vampire Coasts, and the start of a Albion Wight one that didn't get much done.

Offline Red Kop

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2022, 09:32:12 PM »
Got into Warhammer at the tail end of 5th edition and started an Orc and Goblin army which grew throughout 6th edition with the Brian Nelson 'gorilla orc' sculpts mainly - but it never really got painted.

Dropped out of the hobby altogether by the time 7th edition was in full flow but got back into it again towards the end of that edition and started a small Vampire Counts army which I committed to painting as I collected it.

And then with 8th - didn't play too much of but grew both my armies with the new units available in each army book and decided to start with my greenskins again and commit to getting colour on them.

They are now my main army for other games such as 9th Age, OPR and Dragon Rampart - fully painted and about 10,000 points in 8th edition points values.

Still pick up models here and there for the Orcs and Goblins mainly - don't enjoy the VC in 9th Age (our main Fantasy game these days) so rarely used the army any more and am looking towards building a small force made up of the Kev Adams style Orc and Goblin sculpts from back in 4th-5th edition

For the sake of this poll, my gaming group also fielded:

Dark Elves
Dwarfs
Empire
Lizardmen
Warriors of Chaos (no Beastmen or Daemons)
Wood Elves

Cheers, RK

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2022, 01:50:34 AM »
I’ve had Dwarf, Tomb Kings, Ogres and Orcs/Goblins armies over the years, but haven’t bought a GW miniature for more than 10 years now - they simply priced themselves out of my market.

I either sold or gave away all my armies around that time. My mates have started using the Warhammer Armies Project rules for their games, but I have no desire to get back into it, sticking to CoC these days.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 01:53:44 AM by lethallee61 »
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2022, 10:56:24 AM »
My brother and I had the 4th Ed boxed game, and built up the High Elves that came with that into a fair sized army, and the orcs and goblins into a big army.

Then bought bits and pieces we liked, but only Empire became an army’s worth.

Seems like orcs and goblins are leaders so far. Not really a surprise! Fun and characterful models, varied and fun army list, and included in several of the boxed game sets.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2022, 11:01:56 AM »
Orcs were the main focus for me, but I also had hobgoblins, Slann, and a fair amount of chaos stuff.

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2022, 12:33:30 PM »
Empire - Grand Duchy of Flogberg in pink and green livery (also used for Mordheim) and Undead - Tombkings for Warmaster and Vampire Counts (with different noble bloodlines) for WHFB.