Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:30:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vanvlak's 30-to-40K come-what-may  (Read 691 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Vanvlak's 30-to-40K come-what-may
« on: April 11, 2022, 04:07:00 PM »
The recent posts on WH community on the old Beakies and (not)Squats sent off more than a whiff of nostalgia, whatever the short and stout and bearded Legion of Somebody look like, a whiff which had already been fueled by the promise of Ash Wastes and giant leaping cockroaches. Or are they fleas?
The plan is to polish off some Necrons, a few Necromunda types, a tiny little Knight House with retinue (this will be fun!), which might bridge the 40K and 30K gap if I am careful, and then some 30K Beakie and friends fun. I'm torn between the Alpha Legion and Imperial Fists - the former because I just like the fluff, the latter because I enjoy painting yellow! Probably other stuff too, which is more fun than boxing myself in a single, disciplined commitment to a very specific force.

Whatever the case, and in spite of the work I still have to do for my BSC2022 entry (which is far too late, of course, but I still want to finish it), I started on a couple of builds (why is it never just one build?) which I hope I will complete.

These Necron types have Martian Fighting Machine written all over them - ok, 4 legs, not three, but as George Orwell once wrote, three legs good, four legs better - or something like that.

These are snap-together models, so a quick, fun build with no fiddly stressing - ideal at the moment.
I need to see how to add some variety to the other two (exchanging legs, for example); and decide on a colour scheme, as I have three very different ones and cannot seem to choose!

This is something very different - a Necromunda-Space Hulk hybrid. It's a corridor, but it's also 3D and has the old Necromunda panels at the ends. This would go at the rear end of a board, but has the added benefit of fitting easily in a display case, which would allow me to store models on foot in two levels instead of one: scenery which generates space for storage! Makes a change.

Bit windy for spraying the undercoat, so that's it for today.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Vanvlak's 30-to-40K come-what-may
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 05:44:31 PM »
never seen that necron beastie before, holy moly!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 12:05:22 AM »
Following with interest as this seems fun, especially that corridor section (which would also make a nice 'stage' for taking pictures of your finished models on too!).
 8) 8)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 08:06:04 AM »
Following with interest as this seems fun, especially that corridor section (which would also make a nice 'stage' for taking pictures of your finished models on too!).
 8) 8)
Thanks - and yes, the corridor will feature as a photo studio too.  :D
never seen that necron beastie before, holy moly!
I know, right? I only came upon it by chance, it's 40K's best kept secret. It's a Necron Canoptec Doomstalker, an easy-fit model with few parts (18, I think), originally from one of the recent 40K boxed sets which features SMs vs Necrons. It's not that difficult to convert it to a tripod, if one is so inclined.