Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:03:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690758
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Good scaleable ruleset for migration era / dark age battles  (Read 2262 times)

Offline LeadLust

• Assistant
Re: Good scaleable ruleset for migration era / dark age battles
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2022, 05:10:21 PM »
Comitatus from Simon MacDowell sounds exactly like what you are after. PDF from https://www.legio-wargames.com for the princely sum of £7. Leadership driven, 'battle scale' rules with good period feel. Freely downloadable QRS, amendments and migration period scenarios also available.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2022, 05:17:14 PM »
Just to be clear, Dux Bellorum and Lion Rampant use completely different game systems. Dux is the adaptation of Glutter of Ravens, and Lion Rampant was the first iteration of the “large skirmish” rules that have been adapted in Dan Mersey’s other Osprey titles.

I like both, but they’re aimed at different sorts of games.

With the emphasis on very different.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2022, 05:18:10 PM »
With Lion Rampant, you can easily mess with things for far larger forces without much work. Just increase what counts for a base figure into a larger group.

You'll have larger groups clashing, casualty rates remain about the same so if it's an x10 game, you'll have 10 casualties each time you would normally lose one.

I haven't done it with Lion Rampant, but I have with Dragon Rampant...

Good point - though it must get very fiddly unless you have element-bases. The thought of moving a 'blob' of 120 individually based figures is quite daunting!

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2022, 06:40:59 PM »
We refought Dyrrhachium (1081 Normans vs Byzantines) with 200 - 300 figures aside, using Lion Rampant just had a few very simple house rules. See link below.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=134458.msg1706742#msg1706742

Version 2 is out 21st July so not long to wait  :) https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=16518

Lion Rampant is quick and easy to learn and use so was ideal for my friend and I as we don't get many opportunities to game. If you are gaming the Arthurian period regularly it sounds like you want something with more depth and period flavour so WAB with the Age of Arthur supplement which IMHO was an outstanding piece of work from James Morris is the way to go for now. Then maybe check out Midgard when it comes out?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 06:53:03 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2022, 02:09:23 AM »
As a side note, with Lion Rampant getting a new edition, you might want to consider waiting a little bit to decide on rules. It's next month, I believe, when that's coming out.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2022, 02:52:41 PM »
Impetus on sabot bases would work well and scaled up and down from 160 figures to 600 plus per side.

Basic handles the small games ok but I prefer advanced, it has a better feel for fall of Rome to high medieval. The diorama basing really appeals to me too.

A selection of my early medieval armies

https://stormandconquest.blogspot.com/search/label/Dark%20Ages?m=0

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 10:08:20 PM by bluewillow »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2022, 07:24:12 PM »
Impetus on sabot bases would work well and scaled up and down from 160 figures to 600 plus per side.

I agree with Matt Impetus is a pretty good rule set and plays the Early Medieval period well enough.

I try to base my miniatures to fit as many rule systems as possible these days, without resorting to Sabot bases which can look quite ugly if you're playing a massed battle game IMHO
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 07:26:07 PM by Atheling »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2022, 09:53:36 AM »
I think maybe you’re being too hard on yourself regarding painting productivity and quality- 120 infantry and 60 cavalry over a three month period seems quite productive (especially if that’s consistent and you’re not burning yourself out), and there’s nothing wrong with the quality of the figures in the photo you posted. ....

couldn't agree more.
that seems to be a very good 'table-top' standard indeed from what I can see, and for that rate of productivity (again excellent by most people's standards, I'm sure).

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2022, 08:25:46 PM »
Comitatus from Simon MacDowell sounds exactly like what you are after. PDF from https://www.legio-wargames.com for the princely sum of £7. Leadership driven, 'battle scale' rules with good period feel. Freely downloadable QRS, amendments and migration period scenarios also available.
Just downloaded a copy and it seems quite interesting. Not sure it's better than WAB but for £7 it's worth it just for a read in the bath!

couldn't agree more.
that seems to be a very good 'table-top' standard indeed from what I can see, and for that rate of productivity (again excellent by most people's standards, I'm sure).
"Table-top standard" is pretty much all I want right now. Once I hit a critical mass of minis, I can then go back and tidy some up or strip them and start again.

I've tried to keep the minis flexible by magnetically basing them all individually. I've also magnetized shields on some minis so I can switch them around from round to oval or change to a different LBMS shield device. That is damned fiddly (I gave up with small shields) and does reduce the production rates but it means I can expand a unit from 12 to 36 minis easily. I tried doing 12 infantry and 6 cav in a batch but died of boredom so I'm now doing 8 and 4.

I must admit I nearly gave it all up with frustration after having a couple a larger orders from one manufacturer where the minis took longer to prep in terms of filling in pot holes in the surface and getting rid of flash/mould lines than to actually paint. The last couple of orders from different providers, however, have been very clean and that has made a major difference. Just got to keep pushing on.

Offline crafty

• Librarian
  • Slapdash
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2022, 09:03:46 PM »
Your minis look great.

One ruleset that hasn't been mentioned yet is Kings of War Historical...it's a simple to learn rank & flank game, a bit old school IGOUGO, but does offer that scale-ability that you were after. I've bought it recently and have just started dabbling in it (playing with my kids with small 10-figure units...but it does scale up to 60 figure units).

I realise it's probably not as 'hard core historical' as some of the other sets mentioned here, but it's another set people can consider.
This Slap-Dash Life
@Mcslapdash@mastodon.social

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2022, 06:34:37 AM »
Just downloaded a copy and it seems quite interesting. Not sure it's better than WAB but for £7 it's worth it just for a read in the bath!
"Table-top standard" is pretty much all I want right now. Once I hit a critical mass of minis, I can then go back and tidy some up or strip them and start again.

I did the same, the rules are OK but the small element bases put me off immediately. I like my large battles to look that way, with large units that are suitably, erm..... large!

If you need some painting inspiration you could head over to my blog and check out my Early Byzantines (the closest thing I haver to a Late Roman Army at the mo'):
Just Add Water Wargaming and Painting Blog- Early Byzantines:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/search/label/All%20My%20Early%20Byzantine%20Units%20Thus%20Far%21