Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691108
  • Total Topics: 118374
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thränen des Vaterlandes (Florian‘s 30YW skirmishes)  (Read 3636 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Thränen des Vaterlandes (Florian‘s 30YW skirmishes)
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2022, 08:50:09 AM »
The Jolly Band sounds a great idea for a collection of figures.  I really like the zenithal highlight style and contrast paint you have used - it looks really effective.  (Perhasps a dark brown prime, rather than black, would alter the look as you want?  Just a thought.  :D )

Thank you! Indeed, brown (or gray) would be the experiment for the next batch of minis. Just before going to bed, I based another ten. So let‘s see.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2022, 10:27:20 AM »
They look like veterans. :-*

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2022, 01:21:25 PM »
They look like veterans. :-*

Thanks Rui!

I couldn’t resist and did a really, really quick Oldhammer 40k model in between. That „Not-Rogue Trader“ was just based in an ivory-white tone, drybrushed white for zenital shading and contrast painted, then shaded with a thinned GW black wash. I know Bloody Miniatures aren’t that heroic in scale, but I’m surprised how good the model looks. Imho it’s okay for tabletop gaming.

So, sorry for the OT, bit next minis will be experiments with :
1 ivory undercoat,
2 brown undercoat with 1-3 layers of drybrush until white is reached
3 undercoat of a light beown contrast paint; possibly with one layer of highlights

Let’s see how that will work.

PS
It’s my daughter in the background. She going through „daddy’s toys“ … she already has a couple of space marines, a Mothra and a cerberus „borrowed“ for indefinite time.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 01:23:49 PM by DivisMal »

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2022, 02:32:19 PM »
I like the greyscale shaded figures just as they are…I immediately thought they looked quite appropriate as “ghosts” for a silver bayonet game!

I haven’t quite sussex out what the hoopla about speed painting and contrast paints is about.  I accidentally bought one bottle of contrast paint when it first came out….it’s seems just a wash, no?
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2022, 03:11:39 PM »
I like the greyscale shaded figures just as they are…I immediately thought they looked quite appropriate as “ghosts” for a silver bayonet game!

I haven’t quite sussex out what the hoopla about speed painting and contrast paints is about.  I accidentally bought one bottle of contrast paint when it first came out….it’s seems just a wash, no?

Thanks, the greyscale figures can be done quite easily: black basecoat and drybrushes of a dark, medium and light gray and finally white. Using a medium sized brush and every drybrush lighter than the previous.

Contrast paints are much better than notmal washes. They may not be as good as the advertisement promises, but the pigments are enough to have a shade and highlight in one coat. Saves a lot of time.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2022, 09:41:35 PM »
So, I tried the greyscale preshading a bit different. I wanted to go for a subtle sepia tone. Going for the Errol Flynn movies of my youth.

This model, another one of the excellent Bloody Miniatures, was glued to its base, that was sanded, then everything was basecoated with Contrast Snakebite Leather - I realized the Contrast paints are quite good for that.

I tried basecoating soft plastic directly after that, but it didn’t work at all. Good old metal, however, is your friend and saves you a lot of time.
Then a dirty drybrush of an ivory white color (don’t remember exact name, something from GW with witch or wytch in it - and pallid!), after that a controlled drybrush with Vallejo white.

Then come the contrast paints. Base just in Militarum green, the rest how I like it. Metals with a GW iron base color, black and brown wash where necessary. Very, very quick.

Here’s the result.

Edit: I’m considering doing some more highlights and details, but overall I’m happy with the results. Base will need some more extras, but I’ll do that once I have some more models finished.

Question: I lile this one betrer than thr grayscale ones, but what do sou think?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 09:43:43 PM by DivisMal »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2022, 10:06:12 AM »
Yes, I think he looks a bit brighter  :)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2022, 01:31:39 PM »
Yes, I think he looks a bit brighter  :)

Thanks Richard. I’ll do another couple of models in the evening. I may have to learn how to photograph these beauties better, but painting the (up to my humble abilities) is a real joy!

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2022, 01:41:12 PM »
He looks great. :-*

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2022, 03:18:52 PM »
Very nice DivisMal👍.  The contrast on this one looks less extreme, and overall it has a warmer tone, if that makes sense  :) .  I prefer it.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2022, 04:45:10 PM »
Thank you Rui and General Haig,
I’m currently running a couple of miniatures through the procedure!
Am really excited about the first battles. For a start, I’m gonna go for SoBH.
It lacks single player rules, though!

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2022, 06:20:24 PM »
How about using FLASHING STEEL also from Ganesha?
I think it is better than SoBH for this period and it uses the same mechanism.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2022, 07:13:25 PM »
How about using FLASHING STEEL also from Ganesha?
I think it is better than SoBH for this period and it uses the same mechanism.

Of course! That might be a very good option. Afaik, they did some interesting things with the engine and added period-specific weapons and the like!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2022, 08:50:49 PM »
Great progress. The later figure is definitely brighter, and comes out better. But the first batch do say 30YW far more to me in their very dark gritty look.

The last figure looks much more of a noble or similar, whereas the first lot look like hard bitten soldiers. Which means you can use both styles of undercoating to get different looks. I’ve certainly found contrast paints give quite different looks with fairly subtle differences in undercoat, so very interested in the results you are getting.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2022, 10:21:16 PM »
Great progress. The later figure is definitely brighter, and comes out better. But the first batch do say 30YW far more to me in their very dark gritty look.

The last figure looks much more of a noble or similar, whereas the first lot look like hard bitten soldiers. Which means you can use both styles of undercoating to get different looks. I’ve certainly found contrast paints give quite different looks with fairly subtle differences in undercoat, so very interested in the results you are getting.

Thank you Fred!

I’ve speed painted another couple of miniatures this evening. This time with brown undercoats. I’m still struggling with taking good photos with my mobile, but it’s already quite impressive how different both groups look.

I think, I’ll follow your advice and start doing different undercoats and shading for different types of warbands.

Already there’s enough for Flashing Steel (and En Garde), but ultimately I’d love to play Pikeman’s Lament and Donnybrook with them. In that case, different undercoats might alos nicely help to visualize unit coherency.