Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:57:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 727
Total: 733

Recent

Author Topic: Czech Legion Osprey book  (Read 11997 times)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Czech Legion Osprey book
« on: October 11, 2009, 12:24:23 PM »
Arrived yesterday, and a good read and overview it is. it covers Czech inolvement on all fronts. Illustrations are also of good quality. However like all Ospreys it is infuriatingly lacking in some details.  For instance, how were the 70,000 Czechs in the RCW organised?  There are numerous references to various units, but no clear orbat.  Does anyone know how their organisation developed over 1918-20?
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
Re: Czech Legion Osprey book
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:50:19 AM »
As far as I know, they were organized in 2 divisions of 6 regiments.
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

former user

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 10:10:46 AM »
yup, I was a bit disappointed too, especially because the fighting is covered only anecdotically.

If You read it carefully and make notes, You will get an orbat and also the development - but it is stretched over the whole "book"

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 10:17:33 AM »
For very good informations about the fighting done by the Legion, you can read the "Lost Legion" pdf book on the pygmy wars website  ;)

former user

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 10:18:30 AM »
has anyone seen the documentary about the Legion?

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 09:04:41 PM »
You mean 'Accidental Army' (with a 'message from Madeline Albright'  lol lol lol)??  Just been sent it by a mate in Virginia.  Will be watching it at the weekend after our latest leadfest....

former user

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 10:46:52 AM »
yeah, right
thought about buying it myself

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »
Initial reports from my normally reliable mate in Virginia is that its 'nice pictures and poor history'  let me have a look and report back.  To be honest I'd be happy with this!

former user

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 02:52:37 PM »
how authentic is the content of the Osprey book analyzed to be?
I would be curious to know. Anyway, be the sources referenced it can't be that wrong.
I will try to make a Czechoslovak Orbat over the weekend.

Another aspect involving the Western Czechoslovak troops I never before encountered is the war between the "Little Entente" and the Hungarian Soviet Republic - not exactly part of RCW but somehow connected to it, like the Russo-Polish war. From this quite elaborate account:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian%E2%80%93Romanian_War_of_1919
a very interesting campaign.
Historically it links up with the CS troops leaving Italy and France after the armistice of November 1918.

In termy of wargaming it is Hungarians in AH uniform and Romanians in french uniforms.
Cavalry, armoured trains, manouvre war etc.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 08:06:59 AM »
Fascinating, this period just keeps getting better!  Anyway, off to pick up Westfalia Chris from Peterborough station for his first induction to life in 'The League of Extraordinary Kriegspielers'!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 10:36:41 AM »
Fascinating, this period just keeps getting better!  Anyway, off to pick up Westfalia Chris from Peterborough station for his first induction to life in 'The League of Extraordinary Kriegspielers'!

You do guided tours?! Chris, who did you have to, well you know the saying, to get a back stage pass *there*?  ;)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 11:45:07 AM »
You do guided tours?! Chris, who did you have to, well you know the saying, to get a back stage pass *there*?  ;)

No one deserves to spend as long in Hull as poor Chris has, despite the brave face he puts on it.  Ask him about the DH10 and the barge full of Bolshevik sailors!

Offline potter666

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 12:40:07 PM »
They had this in Waterstones Truro, nearly bought it too, but spent the dollar elsewhere hoping they'd still have it in next week. Is it worth the coin then? Typicaly the CL is something I know little of but since getting the figs last year or whenever from Copplestone, I've just started them as a-typical RCW Whites. May have to dip and strip the buggers....

former user

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 10:10:09 AM »
OK, since the thread is already diverted, I'll push a bit back on track:

while searching for the second Czech armoured train  "UDERNIK", I stumbled over this forum in polish:
http://www.ioh.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164514
apart from many pictures of ORLIK new to me and the usual improvised armoured trains, there are many pictures of "railway art", the Czechs used to decorate their waggons with.
Very interesting - just scroll down

btw - anyone heard anything about UDERNIK ? found nothing apart the opening note in the Osprey book

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 11:46:04 AM »
Absolutely cracking source former user :o  Superb!  I must figure out a way of painting (or more likely printing) these types of pictures onto the side of my Company B armoured train.  Anyone got any hints or tips???