Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:44:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kings of War and Other Fantasy Fun in Chicago. 11/14: 28 Cent Beastmen  (Read 3598 times)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Thanks folks!  It's great to have a good sized group involved in the campaign.  I think we're at 5 players with KoW size armies and 2 or 3 who may dabble in the skirmish side of things. 

We're definitely looking to the release of the rules compendium especially in includes siege rules.  Thanks for that link, I'd not seen the teaser of the siege stuff.  I was looking at adapting the first edition siege rules, but we'll probably wait til the new book arrives.  We've got two castle options.

First, a number of Mage Knight Castle sections which haven't seen the table for quite a few years.
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2014/09/quake-mourn-campaign-report-session-5_26/

Also, one of our most artistic members is working on an enormous completely hand drawn/painted nesting castle made of mounting board.  Picture of just two small sections below.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 12:00:35 AM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Finally got the battle report up for our refight of the Battle Of La Maisontaal Abbey "now with 33% more evil".
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2022/09/aar-la-maisontaal-now-with-33-more-evil/
Really was a great game, though I learned a few things I should have done differently as far as adapting the scenario for KoW.   I think it was also a nice last low-stakes KoW game before the campaign that started last week. 

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Kings of War and Other Fantasy Fun in Chicago. 9/20 La Maisontaal AAR is up!
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 09:29:51 PM »
Finally got the first of my WGA Sprue Reviews up. The first one is Halfling Milita. Basic review, suitability for conversion and scale comparisons.

https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2022/09/cheap-sprue-review-wga-halfling-militia-and-a-classic-hobbits-roundup/

Teaser pic...

Eccentric Miniatures parts are used in the review. Just ordered a few more sprues and they'll get a separate review shortly.

Offline Kelly_

• Bookworm
  • ...the underscore is silent
Re: Kings of War and Other Fantasy Fun in Chicago. 9/22 WGA Halflings Review
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 01:09:59 AM »
Finally got the battle report up for our refight of the Battle Of La Maisontaal Abbey "now with 33% more evil".
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2022/09/aar-la-maisontaal-now-with-33-more-evil/
Really enjoyed reading the report, and looking forward to more!

Finally got the first of my WGA Sprue Reviews up. The first one is Halfling Milita. Basic review, suitability for conversion and scale comparisons.
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2022/09/cheap-sprue-review-wga-halfling-militia-and-a-classic-hobbits-roundup/
The side by side comparisons are great, not just the height of miniatures but their differences in width was surprising.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 04:19:54 AM »
Really enjoyed reading the report, and looking forward to more!
The side by side comparisons are great, not just the height of miniatures but their differences in width was surprising.
So glad you enjoyed the posts!  There will definitely be more BatReps and more reviews in the same format.

I agree that differences in bulk between subs of the different Halflings was a surprise. Quite a variety.

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2022, 03:34:26 PM »
Thanks for putting together the review of the halflings, that’s some very useful info. You saved me some money and frustration, too. I was considering buying some Mantic halflings, but those are way too large for my taste! I really don’t understand what Mantic did there - did their digital sculptor leave the settings at the wrong size when the files were sent to the mould maker?

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2022, 05:22:46 PM »
Thanks for putting together the review of the halflings, that’s some very useful info. You saved me some money and frustration, too. I was considering buying some Mantic halflings, but those are way too large for my taste! I really don’t understand what Mantic did there - did their digital sculptor leave the settings at the wrong size when the files were sent to the mould maker?

You're very welcome.    They really are quite huge.  There aren't alot of scale comparison pictures out there. Here's one I found on Dakka with other Mantic figures

Given the size and the bulk, I think they might be bigger than Mantic Dwarves (interesting that dwarves arent' present...) which seems wrong.   A shame, because I generally like the style and the dog riders and was considering picking a few up, maybe for a warband or an allied unit for another army.   Seems like Mantic seems to regularly have these sorts of unforced errors (Remember the men-at-arms...), but to come up with hulking halflings that are bigger than dwarves seems a bit silly.

One more bit of irony, this fellow shows that WGF halflings look better with Mantic figures than their compatriots.
https://blog.untilsomebodylosesaneye.net/2019/12/sometimes-half-is-enough.html

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2022, 07:35:20 PM »
I posted about this over in the "Favorite Minotaur" thread, but I wanted to put it here too for completeness.
Finally got my Journey" Wrath of Demons mostly-minotaur figures from Tritex reviewed.  Lots of pics, rambling commentary and scale shots and measurements for each miniature.
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2022/10/journey-wrath-of-demons-cheap-beastly-chaos/

EDIT The plastic is interesting. I was able to cleanly scrape away mold lines easily but it DOES NOT glue with Solvent based glue.  Some kind of hard PVC?  Note that I had earlier stated that the figures were probably hard plastic because I glued the base to a slotta with MEK and it sticks.  The bases appear to be Styrene.  I just found out the figures themselves are NOT.

Just a sample...

I'm definitely going to get use out of at least the basic Minotaurs, Centaur Bulls and the Minotaur Lord.  Possibly others too.  Just last night a friend in the club brought me a bunch of old plastic Chaos Warrior 2-handed weapons to use in customizing these.  Will get a pic of that soon.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 03:57:50 AM by eilif »

Offline Seditiosus

• Bookworm
I second that disappointment about the mantic halflings... no idea how and why they would end up this big. it is a shame really.

I am wondering though - since it is mainly the head that is oversized, maybe they would look fine with some wga halfling heads or even perry heads? maybe I should try and pick up one sprue..

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Unfortunately, I really think the whole thing is pretty big.  There's a pic in the blog post I linked to showing that the Mantic figure is considerably larger in every dimension. A WGA head would probably look tiny on a Mantic .

I actually don't mind the head and body proportions on the Mantic figures. It's slightly cartoony, but not an uncommon representation.  They're just too big overall to be Halflings in my opinion.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Lovely minotaurs!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Lovely minotaurs!
Thanks!
Started working on the Centaurs.  A friend hooked me up with some old plastic Chaos Warrior 2-handed weapons. After removing the cast-on hands I think they look pretty good with the Centaur Bulls.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 02:46:18 PM by eilif »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
That looks great!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
28 Cent Beastmen
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2022, 06:10:56 PM »
Continuing the Beastman/Minotaur theme, these 32 figures just arrived today.
They are between 28 and 30mm to the eye and when I heard on the Minotaur thread that you could get 32 Minotaurs for $9 bucks I had to try it out.  Technically they are 20mm Minotaurs, but they look like 28mm Beastmen to me.

The sprue attachments are HUGE, so once I get them cleaned up (there is a good deal of flash) my plan is to try and speed paint them on the sprue.   Not sure yet whether I'll try to rank them up on 20mm bases or group base them, but the goal is to put together a unit for Kings of War.

If they work out, it could be that between Tritex and Dark Alliance one could build a sizable Beastman army with a shockingly low investment.  Wouldn't be hard to quickly get herds of beastmen to the table. Though these are made of the inferior soft plastic, I didn't think I'd see 28mm minis that were as cheap as EM4 Orcs and Dwarves and in more poses.

Will report back as the project goes along. Next step is to start the clean up and then give them a nice bath in purple power to get rid of whatever chemicals and such may be on them.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 06:29:45 PM by eilif »