Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686498
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Boer War figures in action: Diamond Hill  (Read 934 times)

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
Boer War figures in action: Diamond Hill
« on: August 18, 2022, 08:58:36 AM »
Folks on this forum were asking me to post some photos of my mate Anton's 6mm Boer War figures. As luck would have it, we had the rare opportunity of a game last week. Here's a taster of what they look like. Quite a few more photos in this battle report:
https://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/2022/08/boer-war-guinea-pigs-at-diamond-hill.html

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Boer War figures in action: Diamond Hill
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 09:39:28 AM »
Nice work  8)

I remember well a brilliant 2und Boar War game put on by Rich at the Durham club on the WorLard Day- It introduced me to a war that I never really thought of gaming due to the sheer scale of the battles.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 09:52:52 PM »
I am in awe of the folks who paint those little buggers.  I fear my eyes would not have it...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 07:06:57 AM »
Thanks, Atheling. The joy of 6mm is that it lets you fit an entire battle on the table (and BBB is all about doing entire battles). Anton's Boer War games have been a revelation to me - I didn't know much about the war beyond the stereotype of clumsy Brits being mown down by Boer supertroops, so I didn't have great expectations - but asymmetric armies often make for interesting tactical challenges, and his games have been really excellent.

CapnJim: I know what you mean. I have probably painted my last 6mm Panzergrenadier in 3-colour camo ... if I were to start again, I might go with 10mm as a good compromise between mass effect and individual identifiability. But 6mm works great for our big battle games.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 07:33:10 AM »
Thanks, Atheling. The joy of 6mm is that it lets you fit an entire battle on the table (and BBB is all about doing entire battles). Anton's Boer War games have been a revelation to me - I didn't know much about the war beyond the stereotype of clumsy Brits being mown down by Boer supertroops, so I didn't have great expectations - but asymmetric armies often make for interesting tactical challenges, and his games have been really excellent.

Yeah, it was Richard Clark who walked us through the rules at WorLard . I have to admit, at the start of the game I was thinking this looks a bit basic (it did but as a play test game that was the point) but after a turn or two the magic of the Lardy rules kicked in and it was a very enjoyable game.

If it wasn't for SARS CoV 2 (long story) and a lack of players at the club I would dive in deeply with the Second Boar War in 6mm.

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 12:07:37 PM »
The Lardies certainly make a lot of wargamers very happy.

Lack of players would be an obstacle. We are fortunate at OWS as there is a critical mass of like-minded souls, meaning there is always a game to be had. Good luck with finding some yourself.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 11:07:32 PM »
Thank you for posting these. Lovely to see Boer war being played - do wish more colonial gamers would give it a try.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Boer_War#:~:text=The%20Boers%20had%20about%2033%2C000,troops%20to%20the%20front%20line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Battles_of_the_Second_Boer_War

...and the later stages of the war, in particular, are great for skirmish games.

Loads of opportunities also exist for using both forces for other conflicts as well as including unusual elements like, sieges, trains, observation balloons, blockhouses etc.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 11:12:04 PM by Golgotha »

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 07:25:04 AM »
You're welcome, Golgotha. For me, Boer War was a bit like Crimean War: I was sceptical about its wargaming potential and wasn't particularly excited to do it, but the games turned out to be great and now I am a convert.