Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 08:40:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697672
  • Total Topics: 118852
  • Online Today: 621
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Battle of White Plains 1776  (Read 2505 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Battle of White Plains 1776
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2022, 01:22:37 PM »
Following a pre-designed scenario makes sense.

As to the map included you mentioned, I took a another look and I think those red units (British side) seen on the American left flank portion of Chatterton's Hill only arrived at that point at or very near the end of the battle once the American's had retreated, the map having sequential actions on it, not just the fighting portion of the battle.  There is missing information in the map, whatever "D" is likely is explained on the original version of the map; be interesting to track down if it is available.  I wonder if those red units, being thought as part of the fighting battle, influenced the development of the scenario?  Maybe your friend can fill us on in on his thinking in developing the scenario.

I have looked, admittedly briefly, at a number of other sources regarding the battle, and my understanding of the battle still has the attack on the front and right side of Chatterton Hill.  But it is a game after all and the point is to have fun and that seems to have occurred and that makes it a success regardless. 

The AWI is sometimes hard to interpret given a dearth of information too often and conflicting period interpretations of the same action.  (Not uncommon through all of history - the varied interpretations of the same event.)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2022, 02:31:09 PM »
Yes, I'd say those red blocks above Chatterton's Hill are where the British/Hessian troops ended the day; the starting point being A and the finishing point being B (which looks like a D).

I think the scenario does fit that map, ignoring the red units at B.  If you assume that 'The Ford' is the broken bridge being fixed by the Hessians, the road extending west from the ford is the road across the British/Hessian' baseline of the table.  There's an earthwork facing that road, which again fits the scenario.  However, what doesn't really fit is that on that map, the American units are facing east rather than south and there's another (smaller) earthwork facing east, just to the left of where it says '2 pieces of cannon' (referring to Hamilton's guns).

I think the scenario starts from a point where the Americans have adjusted their position to face south, in response to the crossing by Leslie, rather than east to face the flank of the main British position (where the guns are).

I've no idea if Eclaireur used this map though! :) He's a member here, so perhaps he'll chip in.

Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2022, 02:37:43 PM »
I've placed the blue box where the scenario seems to be set.  Note that the river is straightened out in the scenario:

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2022, 04:03:44 PM »
really lovely .... and 12 years is too long :-)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2022, 07:22:11 PM »
really lovely .... and 12 years is too long :-)
Thanks Norm!

Indeed it is!   :D

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2022, 07:41:01 PM »
Indeed, if the scenario has the Americans having 'wheeled' to their right and facing more southwards, then the scenario makes much more sense.  Thanks for the additional explanation - and the larger image where I can see the "D" is ineed a "B" (and actually read the commentary).  In that light, the attack is squarely onto the American far right.  Now I can get over my shock!  :D

And, absolutely, 12 years is too long.  Plus there is this little pending anniversary that is motivating many of us with our AWI collections! 

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2022, 08:22:26 PM »
Well done!  Well, except for the Rebels' loss, that is.  Oh well, maybe next time... 8)
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2022, 10:55:47 PM »
Well done!  Well, except for the Rebels' loss, that is.  Oh well, maybe next time... 8)
Cheers!

And as mentioned, we only had ourselves to blame for fighting against our rightful and anointed King!  ;)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2022, 10:56:42 PM »
Indeed, if the scenario has the Americans having 'wheeled' to their right and facing more southwards, then the scenario makes much more sense.  Thanks for the additional explanation - and the larger image where I can see the "D" is ineed a "B" (and actually read the commentary).  In that light, the attack is squarely onto the American far right.  Now I can get over my shock!  :D

And, absolutely, 12 years is too long.  Plus there is this little pending anniversary that is motivating many of us with our AWI collections!
Ooo, that's a good point! I must confess that I hadn't even noticed the impending anniversary.  :D

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2022, 09:41:27 AM »
Ooo, that's a good point! I must confess that I hadn't even noticed the impending anniversary.  :D

The quick dash to the supermarket for flowers and chocolates just makes it worse in my experience.  ;)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2022, 06:39:20 PM »
The quick dash to the supermarket for flowers and chocolates just makes it worse in my experience.  ;)
Yeah, and they closed down the last 24-hour garage in my locality last year!  :o

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2022, 05:31:09 PM »
Cheers!
And as mentioned, we only had ourselves to blame for fighting against our rightful and anointed King!  ;)

Uh huh... ;D

Yep - 250 years!  I may have to run some games at conventions then to celebrate... :D

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2022, 07:52:11 PM »
Happy Anniversary!

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2022, 09:08:18 AM »
Fellow Welsh wargamer Steve Jones is planning a series of demo games at show around the UK to commemorate the 250th anniversaries, and is slowly - but surely - building up his already superb collection of AWI figures for the purpose.  I think he's based around the Nottingham area and has been at every Partizan in recent memory (that's other people's recent memory of course, as mine covers about the last 30 seconds - if I'm lucky).
No plan survives first contact with the dice.