Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:50:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689290
  • Total Topics: 118270
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: All quiet on the western front...2022  (Read 4295 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: All quiet on the western front...2022
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2022, 08:29:49 AM »
Well... No one here seems to be suggesting that it was close to the book. Agreed there were many moments to find annoyance but overall I have to suggest that is at the very least worth watching especially given what else is available for watching.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2022, 06:18:13 PM »
It is a good war movie. But has nothing to do with
Im Westen Nichts Neues.
It is just labeled with a world famous book title, maybe to generate viewers.

, ,

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2022, 09:56:01 AM »
It seems that I am going to buck the trend with my opinions of this film.

Not really a new version of the classic films and of course the original book but had certain scenes and a basic story line that linked it in. It failed to create the detail of the group of young men off to war and the veterans who looked after them so that when they gradually died it lacked an impact. However like most war films its anti war and the futility of war was obviously the main underlying story in the book and films and this specific film really pushed that boundary.

It also had a back story linked to the negotiation and the final agreement of the armistice.

Some spoilers below so be aware.

However I found it an excellent WW1 film. The look of it was superb and the cinematography wos nothing short of gorgeous. The scenes of crisp bright mornings transposed against the filth of life in the trenches was very well done. There were lots of subtle things going on in many scenes . My favourite was the two characters sitting on the toilet reading their mail. Set in a wood with a beautiful blue sky. Taking no notice of the air battle raging overhead. Very clever ideas all the way through. I also liked the opening sections showing the reusing of uniforms and equipment. That was very poignant.

The acting was a bit stiff but that may be a German style given its similar to such classics as Das Boot and Stalingrad but having recently watched SAS Rogue Heroes which is way over the top I prefer the more natural style of this film.

The battle scenes were pretty convincing and the trench clearances suitably brutal.  The flame throwers were horrific

It was slightly too long but so was Das Boot to my mind.

In short I was expecting little but was very surprised at how good it was. I cannot recommend it enough. Really very impressed.

If I watched it again I would fast forward through a lot of it though  lol     

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2022, 11:11:37 AM »
Watched it. Not a bad flick, not a great one either. Certainly more palatable than that awful affair with Ernest Borgnine and John Boy Walton. The wholesale departure from the book was odd and the tandem Armistice story line signing felt a bit forced and obvious but perhaps to a modern audience…. Note to screen writers. Remarque was a good writer, it’s unlikely you’ll do any better.

Anyway looking forward to the sequel Im Kaufhaus des Westens nichts Neues;)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2022, 07:41:50 AM »
Yes a departure from the book, however I liked it and will no doubt watch again. It was beautifully shot but did wander off course a little at times. All in all though a very good recreation of trench warfare I thought.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2022, 12:05:30 AM »
Interesting how many people are claiming it was a good depiction of trench warfare, when it just repeats the old myth of brainless, human wave frontal attacks that seem to get inserted into every WW1 film.  There's no subtlety, no "fire and rush/movement" tactics, and none of the attackers seem to be under the control of any leaders.  And why is the fighting in the last few months of the war involving massive trench systems, when the actual combat was taking place in increasingly open countryside?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2022, 02:58:21 AM »
+1 baron.

I thought the same thing. The Western Front became mobile again in 1917.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2022, 05:03:47 PM »
Very slow, very far away from the book.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 07:38:07 AM by Juan »

Offline JellyRovers

• Schoolboy
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2022, 01:06:06 PM »
It certainly was a Great War MOVIE. It certainly wasn't All Quiet on the Western Front.

So many key elements were missing it did just feel like they took the name and wrote their own.  Paul is meant to be killed on just "another day". That is the POINT OF THE TITLE. He dies and it isn't important. Same with Kat, killed by bad luck, not a vengeful child(!?).

Missing out Paul going home, Himelstoss being a bully and then a coward, the "betrayal" of training and them being treated like animals, it really missed almost every important element.

It looks lovely (odd to say) and I can't fault the actors, it just...should have been called something else!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 04:31:03 PM by JellyRovers »