Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:01:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690963
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Freikorp question  (Read 9212 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Freikorp question
« on: October 16, 2009, 03:11:36 AM »
hello ever one, once agine I am thinking of geting into Freikorps action.
I am thinking of useing some of the GreatWar mins light kits germans with a few stormtroopers to flush out the rank in file and add a bunch of supporting kit. like light arty MGs and stuff.

I want to do the stuff in  germany it self at the moment as opposed to the actions in the poland. Lithuania, and lativa. mostly becase I dont want to buy a whole range of RCW figes at the moment.
That being said, I need some help bulding up the militia forces that opposed the Freikorp.
I was thinking a bunch of the musketeer IRA and VBCW figes will work for Spartacists and other groups. Just snip the heads of the ones with brodie helments.
Also I was thinking of snaging some German salors for repasent the the peoples naval divison.
I was wondering any ones thoughts or ideas on this. were there any other uniformed forces that opposed the Freikorps? any and all imfo will be a great help.
From what I understand, most of the anit freikorp forces in germany would not were helments becase they reprasented the old goverment. is this true? If not I would also like some examples of them also.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:13:45 AM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: Freikorp question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 11:26:22 AM »
Hi, I'm looking at a reproductio0n of a photo purporting to show Spartakists defending the Berlin newspaper quarter in 1919; one of the 12 men in the photo is obviously wearing a stahlhelm-type helmet, and another probably is; 4 others seem to be wearing a variety of military caps. One or two others may be wearing what I can only discribe as 'railwayman's caps' - peaked, soft, somewhat large, dark (blue, maybe?). Two others seem to be wearing trilby or homburg type civilian hats. At least one guy seems to be in a suit, and (at least) two of the others could be too. One chap, seemingly wearing a railwayman's hat, seems to be in an overcoat.

Four of the men - both those wearing helmets and two of those wearing military caps - seem to be wearing greatcoats, three apparently of leather. The two others wearing military caps may have uniform jackets on. It looks like the guy in the officer's cap with the leather greatcoat may have decoration his cap. Otherwise I can't see nay badges or insignia at all - not even the traditional red handkercheif tied round the arm.

There's no photocredit for this picture that I can find, so whether it really is Spartakists, or in Berlin, or 1919, is impossible to say with certainty. It's in a book called "Germany from Revolution to Counter-revolution" by Rob Sewell, published by Fortress Books.

I'll try to dig out more, but I don't have a working scanner I'm afriad, so I'll just have to describe them to you.

I'd have thought that some Spanish War figs might serve for Spartakists, the Ruhr miners, etc; my guess would be that though there would be some in uniform, many would just be ordinary workers.

UPDATE:

A quick search on google images ("Berlin 1919") turned up this:

This was taken at almost the same time as the shot I was descibing, and shows 7 of my 12 (the pic I was describing was taken from a position behind the guy at the extreme left of this shot, half out of shot in fact); so from the left we have Homburg and possibly suit; military cap, maybe uniform jacket; leather overcoat and ?officer's cap (you can see the braid and sdecoration on my shot); military cap and ?uniform; leather overcoat and Stahlhelm; ?suit and Homburg; ?suit and what looks like a railwayman's cap on the extremem right of this photo (he's pretty much obscured by the leather overcoat and Stahlhelm guy in my shot).

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:19:30 PM by Red Orc »

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 06:31:47 PM »
Some quick photos of my first batch of Spartakists:

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 06:50:13 PM »
Nice stuff always love to see freikorpers and other militia like units! Please complete your freikorps and show us some pictures  :D

Greets, the Belgian
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 07:01:03 PM »
With a force of just Freikorps you could do the Kapp Putsch. The Freikorps player puts his figures on the table. The other player (representing the German workers) goes on strike and refuses to play, sitting on the floor next to the gaming table and occasionally chanting left-wing slogans. He does this until the Freikorps player gets bored and goes home, and thus the Weimar Republic is safe for another day and the workers win. Hurrah!

Sorry.  :)

(I always think Wolfgang Kapp looks like a Tintin villain. He'd be perfect running around the grounds of Marlinspike at night in a raincoat and with a pistol.)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:03:46 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 07:31:47 PM »
I would use a wild mix of Musketeer ,Angilan ,GreatWar mins and Artizan figures for the left-wing troopers .
For the Freikorp I would use GreatWar mins.

But what would you use for Police Units and Reichswehr  ?

I also think about a Freikorp game but my bigest problem is Terrain .
I mean you need a citty !!
any Ideas ?what terrain you are using ?

@: Plynkes  good joke !!  lol lol
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »
Talking about villains....here is a WIP photo of a villain that will make Kapp look like a schoolgirl, on his way to make a beerhall putsch...

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 07:36:57 PM »
I have been grappling with the terrain question for a year now and solved it with Battleworks Berlin ruins combined with Skrapwelders Victorian buildings filled out with a few from Hovels. Now its only the painting left...

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 08:33:25 PM »
Very nice, Traveller.
Perry Miniatures has a small range of Boer Wars figs that look very useful.

Here's are my spartakists. All Brigade Games figs. The biggest problem is finding good soldiers in winterclothes or citizens in the right headdress.

If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 08:36:19 PM »
Battleworks Berlin ruins , Skrapwelders Victorian buildings do yo have a link ?

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 08:58:42 PM »
With a force of just Freikorps you could do the Kapp Putsch. The Freikorps player puts his figures on the table. The other player (representing the German workers) goes on strike and refuses to play, sitting on the floor next to the gaming table and occasionally chanting left-wing slogans. He does this until the Freikorps player gets bored and goes home, and thus the Weimar Republic is safe for another day and the workers win. Hurrah!...

lol

I think I love you!

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 09:50:53 PM »
Don't forget Cannon Fodder Miniatures, now available from Blaze Away in Australia:

http://www.blazeaway.com.au/Kameraden!.htm

Those may not be the best looking figures, but the sets of reds and freikorps would add a lot of scruffy individual character figures to your street scenes of revolutionary Germany.

http://www.blazeaway.com.au/Kameraden!.htm

(Hmm, that link didn't load right... )
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 10:12:11 PM by warrenbruhn »
Sailors have more fun!

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 10:22:20 PM »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 10:37:54 AM »
With a force of just Freikorps you could do the Kapp Putsch. The Freikorps player puts his figures on the table. The other player (representing the German workers) goes on strike and refuses to play, sitting on the floor next to the gaming table and occasionally chanting left-wing slogans. He does this until the Freikorps player gets bored and goes home, and thus the Weimar Republic is safe for another day and the workers win. Hurrah!

lol

Sadly enough, this reminds me of a couple of Warhampster40k games I´ve seen.

(I always think Wolfgang Kapp looks like a Tintin villain. He'd be perfect running around the grounds of Marlinspike at night in a raincoat and with a pistol.)

Q.E.D., old chap, Q.E.D.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 01:35:01 PM »
Of course, Colonel Boris Jorgen. I knew he reminded me of someone. In the back of my mind I was thinking of that Bordurian fellow Colonel Sponsz, but you are right. He really is Boris.  :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:37:19 PM by Plynkes »