Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:33:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690808
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Doodler's 15mm] 5 Leagues from the Borderlands campaign turn 3 (20 June)  (Read 19926 times)

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
Re: Starting a 15mm collection || MESBG 'ogre' (2 Jan)
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2023, 06:36:15 PM »
Unfortunately the Perry brothers did too good a job on the original LotR goblins - their poses suggest that they're small creatures, so they don't really work next to 15mm. I'm wondering if the various hobbits might pass for beefy humans with a dislike for shoes...

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Starting a 15mm collection || MESBG 'ogre' (2 Jan)
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2023, 06:52:59 PM »
Unfortunately the Perry brothers did too good a job on the original LotR goblins - their poses suggest that they're small creatures, so they don't really work next to 15mm. I'm wondering if the various hobbits might pass for beefy humans with a dislike for shoes...

Many halfling models do, but in my experience this is better reserved for heroic and slightly comical ranges.
Here is, for instance a Hasslefree halfling witchhunter, which imo works brilliantly for 15mm Warhammer:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=108985.75

Since the LotR hobbits are plastic, there is awesome conversion potential here. Don’t be afraid adding pieces from larger scales as long as they fit sizewise. Here is a 15mm fantasy orc sci-fied by adding arms from Mantic and old GW sprues:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=101186.15

Maybe if they still look to much of a hobbit, a headswap might work?

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: Starting a 15mm collection || Hooded Menace (7 Jan)
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2023, 01:21:14 PM »
There are a few more visibly pointy ears than I remember so they may have to serve as some form of elven mutation. Unfortunately, most of the hobbits I've got are the older metal minis, and I'm not confident that I'd be able to make a head swap secure enough. There are three or four of the same mini, though, so there's room for trying it out. I do have some of the plastic fellowship set (and they're quite a lot more suitably proportioned relative to 15mm) which have snapped off at the ankles, so a pin vice might be in order anyway.

I wanted some more foes of indeterminate-but-probably-humanoid origin to serve as generic evil stand ins, so grabbed some Alternative Armies wraiths to act as cultists/bandits/assassins/ruffians/evil-what-have-yous.

A coat of black contrast paints and a quick round of final highlighting later:

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2023, 02:08:34 PM »
These look remarkably good!

@ hobbits for 15mm wargaming: I just posted an Otherworld halfling used as a chaos warrior. Sometimes a little bit of experimentation is very helpful-it worked perfectly fine without any chopping!

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2023, 04:42:10 PM »
Great looking wraiths

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2023, 10:15:36 AM »
Very evil looking blankets  :D

Do you have the mounted ones too?

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: Starting a 15mm collection || Troll-ish Giant (14 Jan)
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2023, 03:07:04 PM »
Cheers, folks

@ hobbits for 15mm wargaming: I just posted an Otherworld halfling used as a chaos warrior. Sometimes a little bit of experimentation is very helpful-it worked perfectly fine without any chopping!

Hah, it had completely slipped me by that one of those was a halfling - proof of it's suitability! I've smoothed over a plastic Frodo's feet, and am playing around with how to best do Sam's so that they fit on the washers I've been using. His feet snapped at the ankles ages ago and will need a bit of green stuff work anyhow, but he has a very splayed stance which sits right on the edges.

Do you have the mounted ones too?

I have to fess up as one generally disinclined to paint horses. No idea why, and it stood me in very poor stead having started my wargaming career with a Rohan army. Fortunately I haven't noticed any cavalry rules in 5 Leagues, so I might be able to get away with avoiding them for now

Another monster that's been lurking in my pile of shame for far too long, the troll from the Battle of Skull Pass box. Think this must have come from before the time I knew there was a whole world of minis beyond the walls of GW.

This is probably about as big as I feel able to go while still keeping the feel of a skirmishy scuffle - adventurer alongside for scale - but it is a relatively flat pose so the mini can be stored horizontally above everyone else (a biscuit tin storage container means even the walls work for magnetised figures).

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2023, 05:02:01 PM »
I never liked that troll. He’s totally out of style with the rest of the GW trolls and I couldn’t understand why he had a dwarf head made of stone in his hand.

You, however, have shown what a change of scale can achieve: he’s now a huge beastie that has just demolished some kind of monumental statue that was erected by the people (dwarfs) of old and was still standing around.

Brillant!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 06:31:33 PM by DivisMal »

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2023, 05:39:37 PM »
Yeah, when I got the box with 11 years and saw that troll I felt a bit underwhelmed. It looked nothing alike the previous stone trolls!

As a 15mm beastie it does the part. Nice job.

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2023, 09:08:22 AM »
I think the hobbit goblin is the ugly baby of that stone gray thing  lol I think you need some slayers to get rid of that nasty infestation in your adventure land.

Cool addition!

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: Starting a 15mm collection || Magic Trio (18 Jan)
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2023, 05:02:10 PM »
Considering he's been bulking out the unpainted pile for 15 years or so, I'm glad he's found his calling. We'll just have to assume it's an ogre skull dangling from his neck. I feel I spent more time green stuffing the gaps between plastic parts than painting him.

Mrs Doodler has told me that I err too often towards grubby fantasy of muted browns and greens, so in acquiescence to one with a better eye for style than me I set aside those colours (admittedly probably too great a portion of my paint set) and tried to give these casters a bit of flare.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2023, 06:56:28 PM »
Great additions! Bright highlights work exceptionally well on 14s. Very nice models.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2023, 04:11:16 PM »
Sorcerers always must wear the flashiest colours.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: Starting a 15mm collection || Unarmoured Adventurers (22 Jan)
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2023, 01:09:12 PM »
Bah, give me grubby fantasy over high fantasy any day!

Back to the sensible colours:

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
Re: Starting a 15mm collection || Unarmoured Adventurers (22 Jan)
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2023, 03:14:55 PM »
Nice bandits, just finished the one with the hat yesterday;) which company makes the one on the right?