Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:53:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars in 15 mm (some 'newer' 3D prints added - link to photos, page 4)  (Read 6395 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
I know there are other threads, looking for anything new - the latest and the greatest, so to speak.

A trip to Disneyland last month netted me two Imperial Walkers and one Millennium Falcon, metal with plastic parts.  I figure my preferred scale of 15 mm will fit the bill.  I have found the Highlander Studios items and the Khurasan's Those Curious Chaps.  One of those other threads indicated size difference which I am not surprised about, have many figures from both and Khursan figures tend to the smaller end of the spectrum - but very nice figures.  I can live with the size differences.

What I want to know is best alternative sources to expand out with additional figures - less through figure conversion than ready to adapt with paint (though conversion if truly needed).  So, for those of you long time Star Wars fans (or just more knowledgable), please fill me in.  Never got into sci-fi gaming and not sure I will count this as such but more of a cinematic adventure.  Oh, suitable battle scale rules, for figures on the table, not for ships out in space?  Also , things like speeders and "bikes"; I do not have and will not be getting a 3D printer.  Ewoks?!  Buildings?  Cheap crashed star destroyer maybe?  [Maybe Fistful of Lead: Big Battles - anyone used them for Star Wars?]

Appreciate whatever constructive help can be provided.  And, please, 15 mm suggestions (or 18 mm is okay).

Thanks!  8)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 05:19:15 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Re: Star Wars in 15 mm
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 08:15:17 PM »
15mm is a tougher choice.  The most plentiful options for ground gaming in SW are 20mm and 25/28/34mm. I don't have any suggestions for miniatures beyond the observation that most of the sellers of "not" Star Wars 3d printed minis on Etsy world be happy to print at a smaller size.  Also, I have vague , possibly incorrect, memories of someone saying there are some star wars like miniatures in the 15mm lines from GZG.

Vehicles have  more options. The recently launched star wars "Micro Galaxy Squadron" is supposedly around 1/72, but they are sized for the box and many of the toys representing larger vehicles are closer to 1:100 if you disregard the size of the provided figures.  It's basically a relaunch of the "Action fleet" series from the 90s which also might have allot of suitable vehicles and playsets. There are also a couple 1/100 model kits, notably an ATAT.

For rules, I'd give Galactic Heroes a look.

Best of luck with the project!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 08:28:03 PM »
Sent you a message.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 09:41:56 PM »
Not seeing any messages yet...

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 03:04:21 AM »
Hey, check my Flickr account(in my profile).  Take a look at the 15mm Star Wars figures and let me know if you have questions.  Highlander miniatures is a good place to start.  My minis come from all the major companies, but a lot of them are simply painted to look like they belong in the universe.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 01:04:18 PM »
Thanks, oldben.  Took a look at your flicker stuff and neat but not well identified as to source.  Also, got tired of the Flickr advertising quintuple-tripled quick.

But I did find a link to the Idle Doodlers thread through you which has some great ideas in it.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 07:04:28 PM »
Check out Etsy there are some options there, there some Star Wars items already in 15mm scale, or you may be able to contact some of the venders and see if they may be willing to rescale some of their items. Shapeways has some stuff however it is their prices you may have to contend to.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 10:43:49 AM »
Brigade Games Tolero are short hairy chaps that might be suitable. https://www.brigademodels.co.uk/15mmSF/Tolero.html There were also some 'Space Yeti' in the same range before Brigade bought them from the original producer (can't remember who!) but I can't see them on Brigades website. Their buildings have many suitable structures too.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 10:23:52 PM »
Was making an order myself and thought of this thread.  This fellow has some pretty good SW terrain he can print in 15mm.
https://wargamerprinting.com/page/4/
Also, though 28mm is the listed scale for his Star Wars figures, he's mentioned elsewhere ability to do other sizes for things and if those are the price for 28...

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 01:23:51 AM »
Etranger and eilif, nice links there - should prove useful.

I have already placed an order with HS and K so should have quite a number of figures in bound soon.  I am aware of the size difference but not really bothered by that.  They are just gaming pieces in the end.  Will just keep them in separate units so it shouldn't be drastically noticeable.

Once I get the orders, I will be seeing what else I need and go from there.  Definitely keep it a relatively small collection.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 02:29:58 AM »
I didn’t realize that Flickr had advertisements.  Sorry for that.
My rebel soldiers and pilots are from gzg games, as well as Dengar.
Khurasan has great bounty hunters and aliens.  I also really like some of the HOF from Alternative Armies.  I like the buildings from Brigade models
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 02:34:57 AM by Oldben1 »

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 04:06:41 PM »
Too bad you're adverse to 3d printing. I've been "shrinking" and printing my Skullforge miniatures at 15mm and they turn out great.

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2022, 04:43:04 PM »
CP models (https://cpmodels.co.uk/product-category/15mm-ranges/sci-fi-15mm-ranges/) do a range of 15mm sci-fi figures. Nothing specifically Star Wars but a couple of sets might do to populate "hives of scum and villainy." Their starship crew is Trek rather than Star Wars, alas.
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2022, 05:35:23 PM »
Too bad you're adverse to 3d printing. I've been "shrinking" and printing my Skullforge miniatures at 15mm and they turn out great.
I could be wrong, but I think op doesn't want to do their own printing, not that they aren't willing to buy printed minis.  With so many affordable figs available printed for you, I definitely understand why someone might not want the hassle of getting into 3d printing on their own.

Personally, I'm holding off until it get's just a bit more plug-and-play and slightly more affordable.    it's getting close though.  Very likely I'll have one in the next 5 years.   

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2022, 06:06:11 PM »
Not averse to 3D printed items - as long as someone else is doing the printing.  Just decided that I didn't want to be doing any printing myself, cost, lead time to proficiency, and - biggest obstacle - space to do it in.  Also, wife would probably freak on that one, no need to chance that.

Will look at CP Models Sci-Fi stuff - have some of their Old West figures and they are very nice, wish they would do more, especially mounted bandits.

Been exploring around the web and likely will place a modest order with GZG and maybe a rather small order from Clear Horizon.

Please do keep the ideas coming.  And thanks to all for your input so far.