Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:01:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690474
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp!: Skirmish Adventure Wargaming (Osprey Wargames)  (Read 11671 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Pulp!: Skirmish Adventure Wargaming (Osprey Wargames)
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2022, 01:43:07 PM »
I haven't read it yet, but the new November issue of Wargames Illustrated has an interview with the author of the game. Hopefully that will provide a bit more information on what to expect

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2022, 06:50:45 PM »
I haven't read it yet, but the new November issue of Wargames Illustrated has an interview with the author of the game. Hopefully that will provide a bit more information on what to expect

Looking forward to reading that.  I've been hovering on getting into traditional pulp stuff (although, I do already have a bunch of 1920s/1930s gangster stuff...), and maybe this will nudge me over the edge.  Like I need another genre to paint/game... :D 
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2022, 06:19:35 PM »
Hi Folks

North Star are taking orders for the Pulp! game now.
https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=16901

If you order before the 17th of Nov, we'll add a free Biggles figure with every copy. It's not a new figure, some of you old timeys might have it in your collection, but it received very limited release. Does anyone remember what it was first released for?
It's designed by Mike Owen of Artizan Design.

I've not seen the rules yet, but I have read the WI interview. Very interesting, but the author doesn't give too much away about the rules mechanics.

We're super keen to see these rules of course, in case you didn't know we're the UK end for Bob Murch's Pulp Figures https://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=186&page=1 and we have the Artizan Design Thrilling Tales range: https://www.artizandesigns.com/list.php?man=12&page=1
And of course Copplestone Castings, a range full of early 20th Century eccentrics https://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/. Maybe Pulp! could be used for some adventure games in the world of Mark's Little Soldiers? https://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/list.php?cat=23&page=1

Nick

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2022, 04:51:55 PM »
Nick,
I've ordered a copy mainly because I never take my own advice when it comes to my own toy's.  As you mentioned it'll be interesting to see how the mechanics play and if they'll work comfortably with in my Settings ( plus I'm getting withdrawal symptoms. At Partizan I bought little more than a coffee and a cider.)

Offline redstarnyc

• Student
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2022, 02:25:41 AM »
I enjoy my quest for the perfect rule set.  I'm glad there are so many out there - it shows the hobby is flourishing.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2022, 09:00:37 PM »
Hi Folks

The Pulp rules are in. We'll start getting the pre-orders out of the door tomorrow.

https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=16901

Offline grendal

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2022, 04:17:26 AM »
I'm seeing it drop in price on Amazon before it's released. I am curious to see some reviews.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2022, 05:28:40 PM »
Guerilla Miniature Games guy has a review vid up today which finally provides some answers.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2022, 05:52:06 PM »
Thanks. I’ll have a look soon and see if it offers anything new or better than Pulp Alley.

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2022, 06:37:59 PM »
I've watched the GMG review, and as a primarily solo wargamer these days, I'm very disappointed. Looks like another Osprey Blue Book system so generic as to be bland, with four or five tiers of hero/unit that you buy a few perks/edges/abilities for and some slapdash scenario creation rules and examples.  The closest thing to something recommending this game over Pulp Alley is you don't need any decks of cards for this game.  That's...not much, especially if you already own cards for Pulp Alley.

The biggest sin, in my eyes, is despite Osprey's book blurb reading, "Suitable for both solo and cooperative play as well as the classic head-to-head mode, Pulp! contains all the rules needed to game globetrotting escapades in this rip-roaring era," according to my pause-fu, it looks like the only allowance for solo is two lines in the introduction effectively saying that a single player can just play all sides to the best of their ability and rely on the dice mechanics to provide unpredictability. Which is, of course, the complete lack of solo support in game rules. You can play any game solo by playing both sides yourself!

I was hoping this game would give us at least rudimentary AI rules, which is the bare minimum expectation these days (especially since the pandemic) for claiming your game to be "suitable for solo play". I was hoping for this in order to give it an edge over Pulp Alley. (Pulp Alley solo rules provide a new deck to compensate for the lack of an opponent to play cards against you, but still rely on you to play the NPCs as if you were a second player.) But as it is, Pulp Alley provides more customization of your forces, more robust scenario support even in the corebook, and at least they go as far as publishing a Solo Deck to adjust the base game for easier solo play.

I find myself very glad I didn't give in to the temptation to pre-order this book.  I'm a pass on it, unless some supplementary rules are published to add more oomph to the rules and actual solo/co-op support.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2022, 07:17:10 PM »
Pulp Alley works great solo.  The special solo deck keeps things random.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2022, 11:18:01 PM »
Pulp Alley works great solo.  The special solo deck keeps things random.

Pulp Alley works well solo so long as you play a Pulp Alley style game. Yes - I know; that’s pretty self-evident. But if you want a more generic style solo skirmish game with several groups and with subordinate characters more developed than merely supports to the group leader it can get quite clunky. More developed characters equals more Abilities and working out the effects and counter effects can get tedious for a solo player. It did for me, any how.

I don’t have particularly high hopes for this new set but the least of my concerns is the lack of solo rules; it’s not difficult to make your own. My hope is that they contributesomething even if it’s only inspiring artwork.

Doug

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2022, 05:12:48 PM »
I got the book from Amazon and there is no solo or even coop rules. It just says on page 4 that the unpredictability of the Activation System and dice rolls will keep the Solo player surprised.
It's disappointing as the back of the book actually mentions that it is suitable for solo/coop play. I bought it expecting some specific rules and tables. Not just, hey, play both sides.

Offline Kevin

• Schoolboy
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2022, 06:35:05 PM »
I have to agree with Psychopomp amd Redmao!  The statement that it is designed to be used for solo or cooperative play is very disingenuous, bordering on a deliberate lie!  It no more caters for solo play than any other set or rules.  In fact, considering that players takes turns activating units (IGOUGO), it's even more predictable than say Fistful of Lead or Bolt Action!
Very disappointing.  There's nothing innovative in the rest of the rules either.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2022, 06:45:06 PM »
I have to agree with Psychopomp amd Redmao!  The statement that it is designed to be used for solo or cooperative play is very disingenuous, bordering on a deliberate lie!  It no more caters for solo play than any other set or rules.  In fact, considering that players takes turns activating units (IGOUGO), it's even more predictable than say Fistful of Lead or Bolt Action!
Very disappointing.  There's nothing innovative in the rest of the rules either.

Cancel now before it’s too late or wait until I’ve read it then sell it cheap on LAF? Life is full of difficult choices :D

Doug