Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:36:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Choosing your 2023 project?  (Read 7671 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Choosing your 2023 project?
« on: November 14, 2022, 08:52:10 PM »
As I wrap up my Ancient Persian force, which was my project for 2022, I have started thinking about what my project for 2023 should be.  Normally, this is an easy task as I have something that is going to  be published, so I need miniatures ready to support it.  However, as of this writing my publication timeline is in flux and nothing is imminent.  This is leading me to wonder what projects I should dedicate 2023 to.

In the past it was:
- The Games: Blood and Spectacles- Crusader gladiator models
- Men of Bronze- Lot's of Greeks, and Macedonians
- Turf War - Copplestone Casting gangsters
- Wars of the Republic- Republican Romans, and lots of them
- Castles in the Sky- Brigade Models Aeronefs
- Fury of the Northman - Vikings and Dark Age Irish
- White Star/Red Star - Korean war aircraft
- The Ionian Revolt - Ancient Persians 

With no pending publication on the horizon, I am left wondering if I should be doing a project for a future release or instead just focus on something for myself?  This has left me pondering and in a bit of analysis/paralysis on the topic. 

Therefore, insightful readers of the LAF; what process do you use to choose your projects..... beyond "Oh Shiny!".....

I am hoping your wise words will lead me to where I want to go in 2023.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Choosing your 2023 project?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 09:17:55 PM »
Maybe something to fight against your Persians.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 10:55:50 PM »
what process do you use to choose your projects

Whims, moods, visions; wherever my mind carries me!

Right now, though, I am more focussed than I've ever been, so my own 2023 project will really be a continuation of what I started in 2022, only manifesting more of it from the hazy realm of ideas into the tangible world.

https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 10:33:06 AM »
It is hard to advise someone on a new project as one’s tastes are so individual and there is so much choice out there. Your past projects seem quite eclectic. Maybe just try something very different again?

With the imminent release of Xenos Rampant I was thinking of giving sci-fi skirmish ago as I haven’t done this before. I find Lion Rampant great fun so expect these rules to be similar in enjoyment.

I also notice you don’t appear to have done any horse and musket periods? So maybe AWI/Napoleonic/ACW using, Sharp Practice/Muskets and Tomahawks/Rebels and Patriots.

Also you don’t appear to have done any WW1/WW2 so maybe also consider platoon level games using Chain of Command/Bolt Action?

Just a few ideas  :)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 12:10:56 PM »
...mostly just succumb to the shiny?
My usual vetting on a 'shiny new project' is:
- Feasibility? I don't mind a few conversions, but am I going to be scratch building every single figure (as that will likely drag)? Or can I buy what I want straight off the shelf?
- Terrain? Will it work with what I have, or atleast aspects of what I have? What else is needed? Can I modify the idea to work?
-Can I repurpose stuff I already have? Are there things on the lead pile that could do double duty, or atleast be redirected in support of the new thing
- What's the draw? A bit of an introspective on this one. What is making the project shiny? Is it new models; if so could I use them with an existing project/build out an existing project to accommodate? Is it the aesthetics of the setting? etc. This really is to work out if it's an itch I can scratch by buying £20 worth of models to paint, or if I really need to go all in for both forces, new rules and bespoke scenery...
-Research? Sort of in parallel to the above, reading and image searches to find out more/develop ideas (or, for sci-fi and fantasy, I guess tv watching/video game playing. If I am working on a Colonial marines project, Avatar and Starship Trooper might be good additional watching for example. Maybe play some of the AVP games or Halo)

Not that they all work; nor that projects so vetted will last for ever, but it might help atleast give a sanity filter
-
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 12:40:33 PM »
I usually start a new project because:
1) I have played a new set of rules - my SYW, ACW and Congo forces all started from playing new rules.
2) A period that the gaming group I game with - Chain of Command and General D’Armee - and have gamed the period in the past but no longer have the figures.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 12:49:50 PM by Mindenbrush »
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 02:15:56 PM »
Whims, moods, visions; wherever my mind carries me!

Actually, having read the other posts, I do put a bit more thought into this now than my earlier post might suggest.

My first post refers to my earlier, less disciplined self from bygone years. I am still quite prone to that "fluid" way of thinking but have started to harness it more now in order to be more productive and practical.

My new, more methodical method of starting a project is based on the following:

1. Can I set the project inside a dungeon or castle interior (which I have tiles to represent), so I don't have to invest in or make terrain?

2. Can I make the idea fit into a ruleset I already have?

3. Can I use my existing miniature collection? 

4. If I need new miniatures for the project, can I get ones which I genuinely like, in and of themselves, rather than just because they fit the concept?

I think I've finally "found my groove" with my current project, so I am starting to think that any new projects I come up with will probably answer "Yes" to questions 1, 2 and 3.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 07:48:08 AM by tikitang »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 06:52:21 PM »
My advice built upon "bitter experience" is that however you choose your period, to have a 7 day cooling off period before spending your hard cash. I recently returned from a holiday into the Habsburg lands inspired to game Seven Years War, the Franco Austrian War of the 1850s,  and /or the 1848 Revolution. I researched background materiel, figure ranges and rules. I waited 7 days and I realised  that  none were a priority and I would have to buy and paint two large armies.

That said I am intrigued by the Hussite Wars for Never Mind the Billhooks.... 

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 01:02:03 AM »
My advice built upon "bitter experience" is that however you choose your period, to have a 7 day cooling off period before spending your hard cash. I recently returned from a holiday into the Habsburg lands inspired to game Seven Years War, the Franco Austrian War of the 1850s,  and /or the 1848 Revolution. I researched background materiel, figure ranges and rules. I waited 7 days and I realised  that  none were a priority and I would have to buy and paint two large armies.

That said I am intrigued by the Hussite Wars for Never Mind the Billhooks....

Downside of the Hussites is that unless there's a total idiot commanding them, they never lose. Upside is they look super, and it's good to have an unbeatable army to introduce beginners to the hobby.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 05:29:21 AM »
Ah, I'm certainly not on the look-out for a super-army.  I recall back in the 1970s the Society of Ancients monitoring which armies tended to win their competitions, and gamers trying desperately to justify the use of allies to fill known gaps in armies' capability. I've always liked the Kingmaker Miniatures/1st Corps Hussite figures and when last week I saw them included in the upcoming "Never Mind the Billhooks Deluxe" army lists my interest was re-kindled.  The plan probably won't pass my "cooling off" test!

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 06:26:44 AM »
For me it's easy - it will be finishing my 2022 projects (Russo-Japanese naval and Mex-American War).

At least I did more-or-less finish up a distraction that turned into a full-scale project (Victorian SF), achieving 2 painted-up forces, although there is quite a lot of lead left in the pile.

Having only got back into the hobby fairly recently (2021), I have had to learn just how long it takes me to paint figures and therefore how disciplined I need to be to get to the stage of having armies ready for a game. The risk is I identify a battle/conflict I am interested in, bite off more than I can chew by scoping out the amount of minis required for both armies, and lose motivation.

Being driven by my historical interests in particular conflicts and the visual appeal of available figures ranges is not a good approach for me.

Instead I have learned I need to pick out rules I find appealing to play and see what I need to do to get enough minis down on the table for a game.

So, my goal for 2023 is to rescue MAW by getting enough units ready for a game using Rebels and Patriots or Live Free or Die, rather than try and jump to the whole order of battle for Palo Alto or something. Hopefully this will give me enough motivation gradually to press on with the rest of the lead pile and I will get to Palo Alto eventually.

This is probably very obvious to you guys, but it has been a bit of a learning curve for me to get here.

All that said, I am left with the nagging concern that companies producing figures I like will go out of business before I buy their stuff. It's already happened.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 08:15:01 AM »
Redshank, unfortunately your last comment is sadly true, particularly in the past 2 years. Last year I was slowly collecting a force and the Company closed. When the range was acquired by a large UK Wargames supplier figure prices rose by about 70%. I just had take the extortionate increase on the chin.   This year I was planning an opposing force from another smaller supplier, and was in correspondence with him about his figures. He told me business was so slow he was likely to close so I rushed off an order for the whole army.   

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 02:27:45 PM »
2023 primary project - Ancients and minor distractions from the pile.

I am trying to plan my approach better and tame the ooh shiney stress relief of past few years.

Along with all the above considerations, and recent burn caused by Royal mail absolutely fudging a delivery beyond all normal expectations of FUBAR, for both the seller and me...

- supplier issues
- auction site issues
- courier/delivery issues

So anything WOTR won't be happening next couple years...until the burn fades - might take longer - I smoulder for a long time

Anyhoo.. did successfully get some other stuff, so with that, and looking at my existing pile - will be looking at some ancients stuff in the new year, work willing.

I have a pile of suitable rules, sufficient selection of Roman, Persian and other bits to suit.

So achieving two (or more) suitable opposing forces that work with rulesets i already have is doable.

- Skirmish and large scale battle levels to achieve.

In future, will be returning to old ooh shiney process of years gone by - consideration.. procrastinate, procrastinate, procrastinate.

The consideration then being applied to the modern situation:
- is the vendor still vending/in business
- formulate, exactly what want/need and get all of it. no faf, no piecemeal - all needed and done - and if I already have some of it - even better.
- otherwise, the project just comes out of the pile or off the printers.

If an ooh shiney appears that is tempting - then it just has to wait until end of year - if its no longer available/unattainable - then its off the list.

I want to support small business and UK suppliers as much as I can, but yeah. Have to support me first.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2022, 01:36:11 PM »
My first project for 2023 is finishing, a project I began in 1968!

:o
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2022, 09:25:58 PM »
Happy Black Friday all.  I hope it is going the way you wanted it to go.   

For the first time in a while, I do not have a pressing deadline!  Therefore, when I think about 2023, I can also think about projects I want to do for no one else, but myself!  How liberating.  Of course, that liberation is leading to a bit of analysis/paralysis.

So, thanks to some of the helpful advice above; here are some general thoughts.   Feel free to add comments or insights one-way or the other, but no guarantees I will follow-up on any of them!  LOL

Potential projects for next year:
1. Chariot Wars- Finalize my rules, get two armies (6mm?), paint said armies, add some terrain to the collection that fits the theme.  This is an area that I really enjoy, but I would have to have all the stuff to drag my group into playing a few games.  Could make me some money as a pitch or on the Vault. 

2. Late Roman/Barbarian Migration- Create my rules, get two armies (28mm), paint said armies, maybe a new play mat to match.  This seems to be big right now in historicals, with some great new ranges.  Again, I would have to supply it all and drag my group along for any games.  Like above, this could make me some money as above.     

3. Space Mecha battles- Finalize my rules, get a new terrain mat, add some "space terrain" to my collection.  I have models for this one all ready.  This one is an easier sell to the locals, as they like sci-fi games.  Money is less likely on this one, unless I figure out a way to incorporate "build your own" into the rules.   

4. Napoleonic/War of 1812- I own plenty of rules, but I need to start some armies (6mm, 10mm or 28mm?), paint armies, and maybe a bit or two of terrain.  No one in the area does this at all, but that has never stopped me before!  I have tons of rulesets so could easily step up from skirmish to Big battle with rules, but have never taken the plunge on the mini front.  The history, investment and button counting of it all makes me nervous.   

5. Wild West- Use Drac's America as the base, get some minis (28mm), and a lot of terrain for a small town.  This would be easy to get the locals to play, considering we LIVE in the Wild West.  Plus, small warbands are not a huge investment for them to paint up.  No money potential on this one, just cost.   

6. Not-Epic! 40K- I would use Horizon Wars or Restless Galaxies to play this, so no new rules.  However, I would need to build two "armies" of not Guard and Not Orks and paint them all up.  This would be fun to play to finish off Operation: Hemlock with a couple of big battles.  My skumgrod would be happy to play, but I do not expect much help in the building/painting front.  No money in this one, just cost.               

7. Conquest of the New World- Finalize the rules I have for it.  Get two armies in 28mm and paint them.  I would need to rebuild my terrain board for jungle.  No local interest, so I would need forces for both sides and drag them along if I wanted to play.  However, if I bring it, they will often play it.  I could potential make some money off this project as well at some point as a pitch or vault as well. 

8. Expand or build on one of my existing games/collections to create more variety to fight against.  This would require me to buy a force and paint it.  Some advertising for the games I can use them in, but mostly cost drivers.  In this bucket would be one of the following:

- Samnites for Wars of the Republic, a couple bags from the Victrix range should do the job.  Probably take up half a year?
- Arabs for Fury of the Northman.  Again a few boxes from Gripping Beast do the job.  Maybe a half year job?
- Anglo-saxons for Fury of the Northman.  These could come from Gripping Beast, or Victrix.  Again about a half year to complete. 
- US Navy for White Star/Red Star.  The Tumbling Dice models paint up fast and are relatively cheap.  Very do-able project, probably 3-5 months to complete.
- 3D print/sculpt some things for Aeronautica Imperials or Aquanautica Imperialis.  Probably another 3-6 month project.  The hardest part would remembering how to sculpt or getting the 3D printer to work the way I want it to!       

9. Naval wargaming! I always wanted to do something in the Modern Naval genre.  There are a few rule sets out there to hunt down, navies to buy and build, simple painting to do.  I am thinking I would use GHQ which are great models, but not cheap.  I would need a new water mat as well.  I might even try my hand at some rules myself, so some very limited potential for some income, but that would be far down the road.     

So, anyway, those are the projects I am considering for next year.  Some are full year commitments, some might take more than a year (I am looking at you Napoleonics!), and some are smaller "fill-in" projects.  I am still rolling all of these around in my head.  Let me know if any really stick out to you as "cool" or random thoughts you may have on them.  It might help sway me one way or the other.