Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:11:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Alternative bodies compatible with War of the Roses Perry Miniatures (new set)  (Read 62173 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Nice blog, I'll add it to my reading list!

The plastic conversion you've got on the comparison pic looks very interesting, I he designed to be manhandling artillery or something similar?

Interesting that you say the metal casts are if anything slightly shorter than Perry - based on the ones I've got I'd say the opposite!
The first batch of Yannis' sculpts which Steel Fist sell I think mostly stand a bit taller than Perry, BUT that is I believe because they have thicker integral bases. If Yannis is reading this, is that something you're aware of, or is it necessary for the production process or something?
The second batch (leaning and kneeling ones) I do have and will check when I get home..... but I notice on your comparison pic you compared a leaning forward pose to two upright Perry poses, which isn't a fair comparison.
The most recent batch I haven't got myself yet so don't know about their exact heights of thickness of bases.

The ones Yannis sculpted for me as a private commission I've got in resin. A few of them stand a little bit taller than Perry. But mostly due to thick integral bases, and being resin they can very easily be lowered just by sanding them down. A bit trickier with metal.

But I'm just talking about a millimeter or two. And if some of us say they are slightly shorter, and some of us say slightly taller, then we can probably say on average they are about right! : )

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
Hi Charlie

Thank you … the blog really is embryonic, and will be more of a project notebook, much like my Sudan blog has turned out to be.

Handling the Steel Fist Miniatures gives the impression I have described. This certainly isn’t a criticism, and I am sure that once they have heads, arms and weapons etc and are based, the differences I perceive will vanish.

They are a lovely set of alternatives, and I’m very much looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

I have forgotten what the plastic figure in the last image is up to … it’s been a couple of months since I assembled him … he may be preparing a crossbow for loading.

Cheers
JJ
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 08:16:36 PM by Jack Jones »

Offline Hunlion

• Librarian

I plan to raise my Perry miniatures to match the Steelfist's bodies. ;)

Hunlion

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Let me try to clear the size issue. First of all I must say that I dont have any of the metal castings in my hands, only the clay masters and resin casts that are 100% identical to the masters either cast by myself or my local casting service.
The Perry bodies/minis are not all the same size. I know, that its not evident but if you take a micrometer to them you will see that the only standard dimension is the width of the shoulders in order to receive the two handed weapons without fitting issues. When it comes to height some are taller, some are shorter with the middle ground being the armored body with a livery standing with the feet planted apart at the same angle. The differences are very slight.
Let me say that Im talking about the plastics, which are the ones Im striving to reach quality wise. The Perry metals are indeed chunkier I assume due to production reasons and because they are 1:1 reproductions, while the plastics are refined pantographed copies of 4 up master sculpts.
All the bodies and minis made to fit with the Perry range are built over the same wire armature for 32mm minis (to the top of the head) and with the main measurements model being the plastic armored body I mentioned. For the sake of a more natural feel, as the Perrys do, I also try to ever so slightly vary the height of the models. Im talking about very slight changes (like 1mm), but always retaining the right measurements on the shoulders, chest etc and limbs proportions. Compared to the Perry plastics always, my sculpts are the same thickness or just a tiny bit chunkier in legs and arms cause they are 1:1 sculpts but compared to the Perry metals yes they are slender (as their plastics are too).
When Charlie sent me the photos with his mixed units with my first sculpts, his commissioned pieces, and kitbashed Perry minis, frankly I had to look two times to make out which were mine.
Once I clear my bench a bit in the following days I will take some comparison pics with the various Perry bodies and mine to illustrate the point.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
And now something slightly different.
I wasnt sure if I should post it here but since its Perry sized and 15th century based, I will anyway  :D. This is a female RPG character based on an illustration provided by the client. It is meant for a historically based DnD group. Im guilty of the fancy crow head war hammer. What can I do, I love my bling  :D

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
And now back to our usual program  :D

3 more Pole armed rankers adding to a total of 6 new models to the previous 9. One comes with a head by me, the other two have Perry heads on for display reasons.
No1

No2

No3

And all the new 6 boys together without heads and weapons

Btw you can also follow my work or contact me in

Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/talos.miniatures/

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61555631168234&locale=el_GR
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 03:20:05 AM by Captain Harlock »

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
Great quality sculpting work!

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
Let me try to clear the size issue. …

Thank you Captain for your detailed and thoughtful post.

My sense of the really very slight differences comes from handling and looking rather than measuring … and in no way is it a problem, and certainly not an ‘issue’.

I bought five sets (LM08, LM09, LM10, LM11, LM12) and multiple packs of some.

These miniatures are very fine, and I am very happy with them, and looking forward to modelling with them as my project develops.

Cheers
JJ

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Great quality sculpting work!

Thank you!  :)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Thank you Captain for your detailed and thoughtful post.

My sense of the really very slight differences comes from handling and looking rather than measuring … and in no way is it a problem, and certainly not an ‘issue’.

I bought five sets (LM08, LM09, LM10, LM11, LM12) and multiple packs of some.

These miniatures are very fine, and I am very happy with them, and looking forward to modelling with them as my project develops.

Cheers
JJ
Thank you for your kind words Jack, and your blog looks really good.
I didn’t even realize the slight variations between the Perry sculpts, before taking measurements for my sculpts. Also their heads are not the same size and not across boxes, but even within the same sets. But that tiny amount of variety ( and the more realistic anatomy proportions) imo is crucial into adding to the more natural look of Perry minis when put into units.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
...female RPG character based on an illustration provided by the client. It is meant for a historically based DnD group. Im guilty of the fancy crow head war hammer. What can I do, I love my bling  :D

That's brilliant. 

Are they available to purchase or just one-offs for private client?

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
Thank you for your kind words Jack, and your blog looks really good.
I didn’t even realize the slight variations between the Perry sculpts, before taking measurements for my sculpts. Also their heads are not the same size and not across boxes, but even within the same sets. But that tiny amount of variety ( and the more realistic anatomy proportions) imo is crucial into adding to the more natural look of Perry minis when put into units.

You’re more than welcome. These dollies will add welcome variety to my retinues.

I guess it’s a matter of ‘knowing the sprues’ and making careful choices when matching limbs and heads to bodies. I like the more natural anatomical proportions (as much as I love the look of the Front Rank range, they are just a bit too well fed).

I have only just got started with the blog, but it will become a project note book, as my Sudan blog has. I will, of course, be posting details of my use of the dollies.

Cheers
JJ

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
That's brilliant. 

Are they available to purchase or just one-offs for private client?

Actually this one is available send me a PM

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Those are lovely. If I didn’t already have several hundred Perry figures, I’d definitely be in for some of these. But I really don’t need any more (on top of the unfinished Perry and Warsteel units I’ve yet to wrap up) lol

I have always thought your bodies look a little leaner and more slender in the leg than the Perry plastic bodies, but I’ve never held one in my hand, so that’s just an impression from all the photos you’ve posted. This latest batch look particularly good though. And people are all slightly different shapes and sizes anyway, so what the heck :)

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
And all the new 6 boys together without heads and weapons

Are these going to be available from Steel Fist Miniatures too?

Cheers
JJ