Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:39:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689635
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Seeking advice on basing and magnetizing  (Read 1419 times)

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Seeking advice on basing and magnetizing
« on: January 11, 2023, 07:13:35 PM »
Hi all, So as not to completely hijack a recent thread of the good ole 'basing' dilemma, I thought I would start a new thread.

So I have long opted for a variety of basing approaches depending on the miniature/model and its intended usage. I have also previously opted for foam trays for storage. However, some of that is about to change, as I want to move towards magnetizing all my bases and storing them in 'Really Useful Boxes'. The foam trays tend to rub the paint off my models and take up a lot of space, and also don't stop the models moving around (which is what rubs off the paint).

Hence, my question to you all is to request advice from those that have 'been there and done that' on how best to go about this switch a successful one. First, what means of magnetizing the bases and Really Useful plastic boxes can people recommend, especially for models already based? Second, anything else that I should be aware of as I embark on this transformation?

Thanks in advance for all your constructive feedback/advice.  ;)

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
Re: Seeking advice on basing and magnetizing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 12:08:57 AM »
I made a mistake when first basing my figures. I use steel tool boxes to transport my figures around, so thought the obvious thing to do was make the bases magnetic. So I based my figures on 25mm washers ( or 2p pieces) that I glued magnetic sheet to, stick to the tool boxes a treat. What I should have done is still used 25mm washers (or 2p pieces) but glued magnetic sheet to them. A lot less work, you're only sticking one big sheet down not hundreds of little circles,and you can also use any box with magnetic sheet in for transporting them.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 01:26:01 AM »
I base everything on steel washers, and line my storage trays with magnetic sheet that I can buy pretty cheaply by the metre from a local signwriter. I also make 3d printed sabot bases for mass figure movement, and I embed little 3mm rare earth magnets in the sockets of those, which are more than adequate to keep the figures in place while the group base is being moved around the wargames table.

My 1/300 - 1/285 vehicles I glue little rare-earth magnets underneath, and store them in small steel boxes like the sort of thing that coloured pencils come in. When they're painted black, the magnets are usually pretty much invisible under the models when they're on the table.

Offline TheDaR

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 02:38:10 AM »
After going through a bunch of configurations I was not happy with for various reasons, I ended up with the somewhat unusual decision to make "workhorse" of my storage and gaming be the sabot tray itself, a bit like Fitz posted already.

Putting magnets directly as part of bases turns out to have some issues (models will attach themselves to each other, to tape measures, getting polarity wrong is a bitch, etc, etc).  Similarly, I have found no good option for magnetic sheeting for bases that is both magnetically strong enough to put in my storage containers while being remotely economical, and I had some bad experiences with cheaper materials losing their magnetic attraction relatively quickly over time.

So I've gone with thin steel discs for bases (sourced from https://totalelement.com/), instead of washers, because they're thinner than the average washer and a lot more consistently cut.  For storage, like many here, I'm a RUB convert.  I use mostly 4L and 9L, with some of their paper and hobby tray inserts depending on the project.  The boxes and trays are lined with simple thin gauge steel sheet cut to size.

For storage and game play I put rare earth magnets into the right configuration in some plasticard sheet or 3d printed sabot bases/trays as appropriate.  So I store units as I play them, and if I change game systems and they have different rank sizes or some system changes what bases Orbital Kaniggits should be on this week, I just need new sabot trays, and my storage is inherently changed to match.

As far as moving things over to new bases?  No real advice there.  It's a right pain any how you look at it.  In general I try to use the absolute smallest base a figure's feet will fit on, as that makes it most likely that I can use said figure with an appropriate sabot/adapter.  I use a very neutral earth texture basing, which isn't the most brilliant thing to look at it, but it's consistent and "good enough" for most boards.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 10:01:44 AM »
More comments and insight please!  :D

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 12:04:36 PM »
I think you've had the best solution.  Base your minis on a steel washer (or if in UK copper coinage has steel in) and then use magnetic sheet in your storage box.  You can get self adhesive magnetic sheet from ebay pretty cheaply. 

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 02:12:36 PM »
Thanks for the feedback thus far. Still hoping to hear from others that have gone down this route.

One key concern is that if you magnetize your bases and place them into a Really Useful Box, how strong is the connection between the model and magnetized sheet? I mean, if they are traveling around - by car or whatever - do they easily move around (and damage one another)?

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 02:49:29 PM »
I use magnetic sheet on the base and steel sheet in the case. The main problem is getting the figures out if they've stayed in the box for a while.
I mean I wouldn't drop the box down a flight of stairs but for normal travel in the back of a car over potholes and sleeping policemen they don't budge.
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline PeteW

• Scientist
  • Comfortably Numb
    • Pete Wenman Aviation Art
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 03:04:36 PM »
Thanks for the feedback thus far. Still hoping to hear from others that have gone down this route.

One key concern is that if you magnetize your bases and place them into a Really Useful Box, how strong is the connection between the model and magnetized sheet? I mean, if they are traveling around - by car or whatever - do they easily move around (and damage one another)?

These are a mixture of metal and plastic Perry's 28mm figures all mounted on UK pennies. They are attached to the sabot by magnets which you can -5mm wide 2mm deep. These are plenty strong enough to hang the figures upside without any concern they will drop. In addition by lining the bottom of the really useful box with something magnetic the magnets in the sabot will also keep the whole thing firmly in place.

I use the sabots for movement, but they are really good way to transport figures even if you don't want to use them on the table.

HTH

P

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 10:09:33 PM »
The main problem is getting the figures out if they've stayed in the box for a while

So is that an issue? I mean, if they are stored for a while do the figures stick more to the inserts?

I am thinking of going down this route:

So is this Magnet Shop the best place to spend my hard earned dosh???

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 12:46:30 AM »
> The main problem is getting the figures out if they've stayed in the box for a while.

I've seen videos of magnetized trays (not miniature basing trays, just trays) that they put into the box. The trays have handles (not sure if DIY)  to lift the tray out. Handles are high enough that, if you turn over the box, the tray won't fall upside down and damage the miniatures. In theory. :P

Eh, I'll just stick to plano boxes, and foam sheets for now... :/
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 01:50:22 PM »
I'm simply not prolific enough a painter to warrant storing my minis in boxes; they all fit in my display cabinets and will, for some time to come (especially when I move the X-Wing stuff into storage, and those are simply embellished prepaints and are only in there as placeholders).

But when I transport my minis to a game, I tend to use foam trays. It's just a matter of varnishing the miniatures well (although I regularly forget that vital last step ::) ).

Obviously this is no help to you at all, but I only magnetize my minis when it's required for gameplay (Dark Eldar on a Raider for instance), or there are swappable components (like Imperial Knight weapons) on the model...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 10:17:25 PM »
Just when your searching for answers and advice along comes Goobertown Hobbies to the rescue!

Worth watching for anyone interested in magnetizing their models.