Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:20:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686567
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Mandalorian Season 3  (Read 11838 times)

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
Re: The Mandalorian Season 3
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2023, 01:49:58 PM »
The one advantage of working for yourself - you can take an hour in the morning while drinking coffee to watch Mando.

Zeb!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2023, 07:54:51 AM »
Oooooh, that was fun! ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2023, 09:16:40 AM »
Oooooh, that was fun! ;D

Oh yes, Sir! Pewpewpewpew! Dakkadakkadakka! Booooom!

ZEB!!!

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2023, 09:21:45 AM »
I can't believe we saw Zeb, that was cool.
Great episode.

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2023, 10:07:05 AM »
I can't believe we saw Zeb, that was cool.
Great episode.
Where did you see Zeb?
''Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed''-Jack Churchill

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2023, 10:18:25 AM »
Adelphi Base talking to Captain Teva before Teva went off and bounced against a wall of bureaucracy  lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2023, 03:55:31 PM »
The last two episodes of The Bad Batch are pretty good too.  ;)

I find BB too much for kids. Even my kids find it a bit slow.

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2023, 08:52:57 AM »
Another really fun episode, and some more hints of a bigger plot, although one that we probably won't see until season 4.

Zeb was a nice touch, although he seems to have shrunk and had cosmetic surgery on his lower legs ;D Given the Mando focus this series, there's no reason Sabine couldn't turn up as well. There were hints that Ahsoka was trying to find Ezra, so maybe we'll see the surviving Rebels crew back together at some point ???

I do find some of the contrasts in Star Wars fascinating.

They have probe droids that can scan in amazing detail, but the screen display looks like a black and white TV from the 1940s.

They have hyperspace travel, artificial gravity, all the cool stuff, yet they still push square buttons in the cockpit.

However, iIt is nice that they stuck with the original aesthetic. One of the things that annoys me about the new Star Trek series set in the same time period as the original series is that they don't even try to match the original designs :(

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2023, 09:11:53 AM »
All true, but my grandfather (& I'm in my 60s)if still with us would recognize the
three pedals, & what they are for, in my car.
He wouldn't have the foggiest idea about the in-car entertainment systems,
& the car telling him things like a tyre needs pumping up, well that would blow his mind.
 lol lol lol
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Online Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2023, 11:21:19 AM »
lets face it - if your in space in a tin can you want a reliable button to press that clicks and does stuff rather than a nice touch screen and software/app that communicates wirelessly to start your drive, but oh sorry, no signal.. or spinning icon, buffering or any other number of issues you cannot easily fix or not need to..

I know in reality they are sticking with the old style and aesthetic really.

But still, even if high-tec amazing hyperdrive technology, would rather have nice clicky button that just works and is easy to fix, rather than having to get software updates or whatever.

In some ways if you think on it, the reliability of the interface, and ease of replacements, is as much a priority as the functionality

- does it need a high res screen - is it easily replaced and so on.

a simple comparison is believe it or not - slot machines. all those flashy enticing lights and noises - are powered by some of the cheapest electronics available.

the eproms and motherboard used for many years - even into the 2000s was basically a zx spectrum, cheap mas production, easily replaced stuff.

I am pretty sure thats changed now to something else thats mass available but still.

Yeah, in short I really like the style and it has justifiable reasons, even if the real one is 1979  :D

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2023, 11:46:46 AM »
All true, but my grandfather (& I'm in my 60s)if still with us would recognize the
three pedals, & what they are for, in my car.
He wouldn't have the foggiest idea about the in-car entertainment systems,
& the car telling him things like a tyre needs pumping up, well that would blow his mind.
 lol lol lol

I am perfectly happy with my 35 year old analogue vehicle. The construction dates back to '67 and all changes are more or less facelifts - still no electronic gadgets replacing anything until production endet in '88...  lol
It must be a Correlian one, I guess.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2023, 11:53:47 AM »
lets face it - if your in space in a tin can you want a reliable button to press that clicks and does stuff rather than a nice touch screen and software/app that communicates wirelessly to start your drive, but oh sorry, no signal.. or spinning icon, buffering or any other number of issues you cannot easily fix or not need to..

I know in reality they are sticking with the old style and aesthetic really.

But still, even if high-tec amazing hyperdrive technology, would rather have nice clicky button that just works and is easy to fix, rather than having to get software updates or whatever.

In some ways if you think on it, the reliability of the interface, and ease of replacements, is as much a priority as the functionality

- does it need a high res screen - is it easily replaced and so on.

a simple comparison is believe it or not - slot machines. all those flashy enticing lights and noises - are powered by some of the cheapest electronics available.

the eproms and motherboard used for many years - even into the 2000s was basically a zx spectrum, cheap mas production, easily replaced stuff.

I am pretty sure thats changed now to something else thats mass available but still.

Yeah, in short I really like the style and it has justifiable reasons, even if the real one is 1979  :D

Not just in space; on simple terrestrial roads too...

I made the jump from a Volvo XC70 to a Tesla model 3 last month. And even though the aesthetics are undeniably awesome, futuristic and slick I already know that there is no subsitute for physical knobs and buttons.

The controls on my old Volvo I could find blindly, even when on a bumpy road, manoeuvering through traffic. In the dark. The touchscreen and minimalistic buttons on the tesla though; they require you to constantly take your eyes off the road to check in which submenu you're in now, simply to open the glovebox or turn on the radio.

There is a reason for physical controls; muscle memory. When you're in a high stress situation, requiring every ounce of concentration, you won't have time to navigate through several layers of menu to find something you need.

You need that function at your very fingertips, where practice and repetition will guide you blindly. It's why even glass cockpits in fighter jets still have physical knobs on the sides of their screens; touchscreens are fun and functional when stationary, but not when throwing yourself around.

So yeah; even though I applaud the continuity in aesthetics, it's the practicality I really like :)

(And don't get me started on Discovery and its holo-controls ::) ).
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2023, 02:10:44 PM »
A question for the hive mind ...

Are Mandalorians stupid?

Settle on a base planet with giant alligators that eat you, but still have youngling play in the water and on the beach.  Birds that eat your children but are always out of jet pack distance.  Can't seem to climb rocks for shit without all those fancy army doohickys.  No ships available for them to join in the defense of Navarro.

I mean, I love the show. I really do.  But they don't seem to be the sharpest dark sabers in the shed, right?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2023, 02:49:38 PM »
Are Mandalorians stupid?

Well, these particular ones are considered to be rather fundamentalist fanatics, strictly adhering to 'the way' (which is this), even by other Mandalorians. So the whole dangerous environment thing is probably a part of their ideas about hardship leading to strength, or whatever.

I agree though; the choice of locale could not have been worse... ::)

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2023, 07:09:00 PM »

I agree though; the choice of locale could not have been worse... ::)
Actually it could have been worse, they could have settled on Mustafar!