Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:58:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Battle of Agincourt with Medieval Tactica  (Read 1865 times)

Offline PaulRPetri

• Assistant
The Battle of Agincourt with Medieval Tactica
« on: January 31, 2023, 07:04:38 PM »
Hello All. I posted a battle report over on this forum as I know how to post images over there. Thanks for having a look if you are so inclined.
http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=26209
https://i.imgur.com/F0HorDd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YSFESlL.jpg

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
Re: The Battle of Agincourt with Medieval Tactica
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 09:28:36 AM »
Fantastic looking game - beautiful minis and table - but, as you mention, that scenario does seem broken. I'm not familiar with Tactica rules, but I'm surprised that 'mud' is only an optional rule for this battle.

I highly recommend Agincourt A New History by Prof. Anne Curry. As well as the traditional narrative of the French riding through a quagmire under a constant hail of arrows, she also argues that the French cavalry charge was probably undercooked, with insufficient numbers to overwhelm the English lines, that the foot slogging men-at-arms, disrupted by the retreating cavalry and advancing through treacle, would have been exhausted by the time they reached the English lines, and that the French archers and a large part of the French reserve failed to engage at all. Ultimately, though, this battle really is about the topography and the ground conditions.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 01:55:38 PM »
Fantastic looking game - beautiful minis and table - but, as you mention, that scenario does seem broken. I'm not familiar with Tactica rules, but I'm surprised that 'mud' is only an optional rule for this battle.

I highly recommend Agincourt A New History by Prof. Anne Curry. As well as the traditional narrative of the French riding through a quagmire under a constant hail of arrows, she also argues that the French cavalry charge was probably undercooked, with insufficient numbers to overwhelm the English lines, that the foot slogging men-at-arms, disrupted by the retreating cavalry and advancing through treacle, would have been exhausted by the time they reached the English lines, and that the French archers and a large part of the French reserve failed to engage at all. Ultimately, though, this battle really is about the topography and the ground conditions.

Thank you Old Hob! I've been pushing that folk read Prof. Anne Curry's masterful work on Agincourt since 2005! For anyone interested in how armies were brought together in the HYW her Agincourt A New History is a must read.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 03:39:53 PM by Atheling »

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 02:12:34 PM »
Fantastic looking game! But thanks also for pointing me towards Prof. Curry‘s book. That seems to be intriguing!

Offline PaulRPetri

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 12:03:29 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments on the game fellas. I have the Curry book. Need to rethink a rules system..

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 08:27:45 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments on the game fellas. I have the Curry book. Need to rethink a rules system..

Apologies if it sounded like I was teaching you to suck eggs. Looking at your lovely collection I imagine you probably know a lot more about the HYW than I do. Looking forward to your rematch.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 12:47:06 PM »

Are you looking for "realism" or playability? Where would you say your desire's for s rule system sit on that sliding scale?

Offline PaulRPetri

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 11:30:32 PM »
I am always for playability. The problem we had is that each longbowmen unit got 8 d6 to fire and needed a 6 to scrore a hit. They have a 15" range and the horse moved 10" and the foot knights 8" so they were closing with two volleys in most cases being shot at them and one of my horse units made it through with not hits taken. Once in melee the longbowmen were no match for the French. We are thinking og halving the movement for the mud effect and having another go.
But I must confess my wargaming morale for the HYW has failed a bit and I have pulled out my SYW and WWII forces for some future actions.

Offline PaulRPetri

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 11:32:05 PM »
"Apologies if it sounded like I was teaching you to suck eggs. Looking at your lovely collection I imagine you probably know a lot more about the HYW than I do. Looking forward to your rematch."

Old Hob no apologies needed at all.