Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:36:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689627
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Recommendations Please for new collections  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Recommendations Please for new collections
« on: October 27, 2009, 05:45:16 AM »
I have often found the lead of the LAF members to be very helpful. For 28mm figures, what would be my best choices for troops if I were collecting the following:

1: French. I often think of the post-Napoleonic French as being a great 'bad guy' in VSF, as they are desperately trying regain that strong posture.

2: British. A classic VSF group...

3: and finally, Chinese.

I ran my first Valor and Steel And Flesh game this last weekend, and while I have half-finished Red Martians, and less-finished Green Martians, as well as a faction we are calling desert raider Martians (using Star Wars Tusken Raiders, and Bantha with small cannon on their backs), I need to gather together more normal human factions to battle the forces of Free Norway. One of the people I railroaded into playing with me as a playtest (I am going to be putting the game on in November for a local historical group that is willing to branch out) mentioned he thought a group Imperial Chinese that fled to Mars after the Boxer Rebellion would be an interesting faction to play - and I agree.

So the point I am getting to with my babbling is which ones do you recommend for the factions above? They need to fit well with Brigade Models Belgians (who I used for my Norwegians, and fit quite well sizewise with GW Guard, actually). Your experience is invaluable and desired.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Recommendations Please for new collections
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:12:46 AM »
For Chinese that would fit well size wise with the brigade figs, I suspect the Redoubt Boxer Rebellion range is your best bet.

For Brits, the best currently are Empress (imho) and they should also fit well, though they are slightly slimmer in sculpting style.

For French, don't Brigade do a range of foreign legion types? They'd fit best with other Brigade figs.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 08:15:21 AM »
Actually, I'm mixing Brigade Models and Brigade Games there. Not sure of size/heft on the Brigade Models figs, sorry. I suspect Empress is still best for the Brits though.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 08:28:44 AM »
I'm not sure how Brigade Games figures compare with other ranges but there's a couple of options for the French. Parroom sell French Foreign Legion types with gasmasks/breathing masks as do Warrior Miniatures in their Over the Wire range; both are closer to true 25mm. There's also the Renegade Early WWI French, they are on the large side but their equipment and look gives them a meaty VSF look in my opinion. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:40:09 AM by Thunderchicken »
Don't!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 08:38:49 AM »
I am using Perry's Sudan British for my VSF.
But I do like the look of the empress ones.
For Chinese I have Foundry and Copplestone (BOB) for some characters, so far.
I have been looking for Chinese troops with modern rifles but still traditionally dressed but I have not found anything suitable yet.
I seen a lot of very nice figures at the weekend (Still to post pictures of the battle) and Redoubt seemed very popular for the British.
Have you tried Eureka, they have loads of VSF stuff.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:46:22 AM »
Ironclad do some French, but I'm not sure if they encapsulate the post-Napoleonic feel that you are after.  Failing that look at other peoples suggestions or perhaps use a historical line.

Brits - wow there's a huge range out there.  It depends on what era, terrain and feel that you are looking to do.  Foundry, Empress, Brigade Games, Ironclad, HLBSC, Perry, Redoubt etc etc.

Chinese - I'd go historical maybe with a few Scheltrum Miniatures thrown in to give it some flavour.  Scheltrum do a couple of VSF style packs such as Swooping Dragons (Kite travelling with hand weapons), Richeous Fists, and the Wheelbarrow of Doom.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:48:01 AM by Sterling Moose »
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 09:53:11 AM »
Those Scheltrum kite troops are a great idea but awful sculpts.

Oh, and.......

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 09:18:04 PM »
So, if I am reading this right, I should look at:

French - Brigade Games, Renegade, Foundry

British - Empress, Perry,

Chinese - Redoubt, Foundry, Copplestone, Scheltrum

Excellent. I have never looked at the Empress figures before. I'll have to take a gander.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 09:08:15 AM »
Sorry it might be a silly question but you have looked at this sticky?
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=8146.msg91549#msg91549

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 10:40:47 AM »
Perry figures are rather small, and would not fit in well wih Brigades. I think redoubt's British should fit in well, though.
For the French, I would reccomend Dixon's FFL range, they should fit in fairly nicely.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 10:53:17 AM »
For Chinese I have quite a few. Very into the Boxer rebellion. Foundery has a nice range, a little early. Old glory makes a good Boxer range for a really good price. Pulp figures does some excelent Chinese in their Yangzee gangs range. Redoubt are good too. Also look at tong figures there are a couple of companies that make those too. Askari Figures do some nice French too.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 05:33:02 PM »
Sorry it might be a silly question but you have looked at this sticky?
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=8146.msg91549#msg91549

I had, but there is a difference between available and best to me - and the firsthand recommendations of this group have come to mean a lot to me. Frighteningly, I find your opinions worth hearing.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 05:39:29 PM »
For Chinese I have quite a few. Very into the Boxer rebellion. Foundery has a nice range, a little early. Old glory makes a good Boxer range for a really good price. Pulp figures does some excelent Chinese in their Yangzee gangs range. Redoubt are good too. Also look at tong figures there are a couple of companies that make those too. Askari Figures do some nice French too.

Pulp Figures Chinese would fit alright? I was under the impression they would be too late...Speaking of Pulp Figures, are his German Seebattalion too late for VSF? I think they would be fairly nifty for German Air Navy.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 06:00:40 PM »
...are his German Seebattalion too late for VSF?

Nah, they're fine. They're from the last decade or so of the 19th and first one of the 20th Century. So they slip into the VSF timeframe just in time for last orders at the bar (Vicky kicked the bucket in 1901).
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 11:53:10 AM »
As far as the pulp figures go most of the tong figures will work great. The Chinese army stuff is later. Just avoid the tong figures with tommy guns, any thing with bolt action rifles or hand weapons work fine.