Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help with my Greenstuff  (Read 965 times)

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
Help with my Greenstuff
« on: March 25, 2023, 09:17:24 PM »
I bought some greenstuff, kneadatite, a couple of months back and just opened it. It isn't as pliable/ sticky as what I had been using. I think it might be old is there anything i can do to revive it?
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Help with my Greenstuff
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 03:36:31 AM »
I am using a tube I bought close to 20 years ago. It is not very pliable either, but I keep wetting my fingers and work the crap out of it so I can eventually mold it. Once it sets, it feels as hard as the metal that I use it for in order to fill in the massive holes of poorly cast figures. Maybe others have better options. Good luck!! 😉
Regards
Hitman
😎
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 09:40:21 AM »
As Hitman says it should be ok. It does dry out over time and it may be past it’s usable best but will probably just be less pliable (and you may need a kung fu grip to get it working) but once you put some heat and energy into it, it should start to behave.

As an unhelpful aside if you enjoy sculpting or want to do more I can’t say enough good things about procreate (a two part grey putty that holds sharp edges better and is easy to sand and shape once dried).

Good luck
Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 12:00:30 PM »
I bought some greenstuff, kneadatite, a couple of months back and just opened it. It isn't as pliable/ sticky as what I had been using. I think it might be old is there anything i can do to revive it?
You can gently warm it up to just above room temperature.  If you have an airing closet, a closet that holds a heater or even a window sill in the sun you can put it there for a while to warm it up slowly.  That should get some pliability. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 02:03:00 PM »
Does anyone know what material is lost to evaporation as these putties dry out? I’m wondering if it is possible to get that material separately and work it in to restore pliability? Never researched it myself, so can’t say what it would be (or if it has health and safety issues).

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 02:33:26 PM »
I was once given a batch (in a GW blister) of greenstuff for my birthday, almost 15 years ago. I'm not the most prolific sculptor, so I barely used it (also because I prefer ProCreate myself).

But when I did use it, I found it increasingly difficult to work with, which caused me to use it even less, etc.

Then I needed to fill an order to above a certain amount to get free shipping, so I decided to also get another batch of greenstuff.

And what a revelation that was! It was so soft and pliable! It actually made sculpting fun again :D

I also have a huge roll of ProCreate which I incidentally used just this weekend. I had ordered it last year and forgot I had it until recently. The two components are stored in a plastic tube, with the two parts individually wrapped in plastic, and both were hardened towards both ends.

So yeah; greenstuff, but also ProCreate and most likely all other two part sculpting materials, tend to dry out over time and get harder, even when not stored together, in the dark, at cool temperatures and in an airtight container...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 02:50:48 PM »
I don't know about reviving it, but the best starting point is to store it in the fridge where it will keep indefinitely.  I buy the large roll and keep it chilled for years and it works fine.

I cut off about an inch long piece that I keep out in a tiny ziplock bag for general use.  It's easier to work when it's at room temperature.  But even straight out of the fridge, it warms up as you roll it in you hands to knead together anyway, just takes a bit more rolling.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 02:59:27 PM »
I forgot to mention; when drying out, the dried out areas of the components of ProCreate display a distinct yellow/brown deposit. It's just a small layer and it will break when the putty is kneaded, but it does appear to be ever so slightly oily.

This is probably due to the softening medium permeating out, evaporating and leaving the brown film as a residue.

Lowering the temperature of the product by freezing it probably makes the medium more viscous, preventing it from escaping the putty...