Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:17:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690584
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: GW Liquid Greenstuff  (Read 8370 times)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
Re: GW Liquid Greenstuff
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 08:28:48 PM »
Bought some today, I was wondering whether it would be good for rotten flesh as well as the usual gaps and fillings.

Also had a nice no pressured chat with a Blue shirt who was well...human!  :o  Strange things are afoot.

;)

I'm pretty sure I was human last time I checked!  lol

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 08:39:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure I was human last time I checked! 

Your avatar suggests otherwise.............  ;D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 03:20:27 PM »
I'm curious, is this stuff water based? Is it a two part material (like the epoxy it's named for), or an emulsion?

If you got to the auto section of your local hardware or big box store, you should be able to find "spot & glazing putty", which is basically the same thing as ye olde Squadron Green putty. 'S like three bucks for a tube a little smaller than a toothpaste tube. Spackle a little on the crack/bubble you need to fill with a toothpick, wipe it flush with a paper towel corner dipped in nail polish remover, and you're golden.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu for President!!!
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »
I'm curious, is this stuff water based? Is it a two part material (like the epoxy it's named for), or an emulsion?

Yes, it's water based and it's a thick viscous liquid (so it's not a two part material). Pretty easy to brush on and fill gaps and you can use water to smoothen transitions. I really like this stuff.
The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 11

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 04:59:52 AM »
Is it sold through other vendors, or just GW stores? Sounds worth a look, but there are no GW places in my area.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 02:02:45 PM »
Me and Kalle just got a few pots of this, to say the least, exellent stuff. Works like a charm, easy to use and are waterbased so very easy to apply.
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 02:14:53 PM »
I'm actually quite impressed with this. I was trying it out last night on a figure that had some serious pitting and scarring from a mold past its best, and it seems to have sorted it right out. A little scraping to remove any spills and splashes and it should come up lovely. 

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 04:53:55 PM »
just had a thought - wonder if it'll be ok for pressmolds? always get bits where I didn't push the g/s into the detail... I wonder if you can get a thick enough coat and then g/s the mass...

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2011, 07:08:25 PM »
Most epoxy putties can be thinned to a slurry with alcohol (dunno about Milliput but GS, Aves, Magic Sculpt, and ProCreate can), so I'd probably try that first. This being an emulsion (thickened paint, basically) rather than a resin, shrinkage and durability might become issues in such an application. Depends on how thick of a layer you're talking about, I'd guess.

It actually kinda bugs me that they're calling this "Green Stuff" when it's not an epoxy and isn't even made by the company that makes Green Stuff proper. From a marketing perspective It's understandable (people use GS to fill gaps, and this fills gaps too!), but at the risk of being impolitic, the gaming community is kind of an information ghetto when it comes to modeling. Way too many (even longtime) gamers still don't know a hawk from a handsaw when it comes to even basic materials outside of paints, so calling something that's not an epoxy "Green Stuff" (it actually sounds a lot like a gap-filling acrylic primer) seems like an invitation to confusion.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:17:20 PM by Connectamabob »