Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:10:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690887
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Other minis compatible with Stargrave?  (Read 5519 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Other minis compatible with Stargrave?
« on: April 04, 2023, 09:27:44 PM »
So I bought four sprues from different Stargrave sets, male and female crew, and troopers.  Nice models, but a bit lifeless in my opinion.  What other minis fit the size and look of them?  I’m thinking maybe Copplestone Future Wars?

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
Re: Other minis compatible with Stargrave?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 07:54:32 AM »
The other Frostgrave figures fit perfectly, as do the Oathmark humans. That gives cultists with sci-fi guns (use regular heads and they can be "normal people" too) that have very nice animation, barbarians with sci-fi heads and guns etc. The wizards kits give a lot of spare parts and can give a "Jedi" vibe with the right match-up if that's what you're looking for.

The Wargames Atlantic boxes have a bunch of candidates - their boxes seem to be a bit variable when it comes to arm joint sizes and stuff but the cannon fodder box gives you civilians in jump suits that would work for corporate security, civilians (it was a major irritation for me that the Stargrave figures all have briefcases, spanners etc in their left hands making the building of civvies very difficult as there's no right handed tools) etc. Plus Lizardmen and Giant Spiders!

I've seen the bodies from the Perry Afghan box mixed in with Stargrave and GW bits but I think that might need a bit of greenstuffing. Obviously, bits from Anvil Industries, Victoria Miniatures, Kromlech etc would come in handy although you'd have to make decisions about head sizes etc. And there's nothing to stop you using the odd bit from other historical kits - capes, backpacks, bandoliers etc.

As for sci-fi figures there are oodles. The Colony 87 range are perfect for civilians etc, if you're selective then some of the old Ratnik Miniatures figures are fine. Obviously the original metal Necromunda figures if you have any in the attic (they're silly money if you try to buy any on eBay though). A lot of it depends on what sort of "feel" you want for your universe

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 08:02:01 AM »
What littlearmies said!

I’ve found the Frostgrave cultists bodies a great match, and work really well. I also like the Frostgrave gnolls mixed in, though I have also used GW arms on the gnolls.

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 09:31:43 AM »
Quite a lot of the Heresy figures work. I did a couple of head swaps with stargrave heads on a ganger body, and it was fine (a bit large, but nothing too off-putting).

They have starport workers and security type folk as well.

old Infinity works fine, but the newer stuff is far too big (although that's okay for aliens)

Some Reaper Chronoscope are fine, although, again, their newer stuff, especially Bones Black and Bones USA, is getting quite a bit bigger.

I've been looking at Fireforge folk rabble as the basis for backwater colony folk (Dark Matter, Killjoys, Firefly). They're more likely to be recipients, rather than donors, of parts, but there are plenty of spare parts on the Stargrave sprues.

On the space western theme, the male and female gunfighters from Dead Man's Hand are worth a look as well

It's also worth checking your sprue pile. Some of the Warlord WW2 stuff is compatible, and a good source of bits to mix and match. Lee Enfields in Spaaaace :D

Basically, older and true 28mm should be fine

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 09:51:43 PM »
Alternative Armies has several 28mm ranges that can work, including one called "Alternate Stars"...

https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/alternate-stars

There's also some potentials in:

https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/asgard-25mm-science-fiction

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 10:40:16 PM »
I ordered a couple more Stargrave sprues, as well as a Great Escape Games male gunfighter sprue.  Plan on doing them as Friefly themed minis.

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2023, 09:14:19 AM »
I've just realised that Hasslefree has not been mentioned. Most of their stuff works, although some of the newest has crept into the 30/32mm size.

Offline Terry Deathstrike

• Assistant
    • Samurai Redundancy Package
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2023, 08:48:35 PM »
You could always look for other Bobby Jackson sculpts as he sculpted the bulk of the Stargrave minis.

RBJ have a few of his sci-fi minis for example

https://store-rbjgc-com.3dcartstores.com/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2023, 08:58:14 PM »
Most of my Cannon Fodder have Stargrave/Frostgrave heads.

The arm connections are different, I need to  smooth in the joint on this engineer.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2023, 09:04:58 PM »
Anvil Industries for figures and heads.

Offline giles the zog

• Scientist
    • The Lost City of Carcosa
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2023, 09:52:07 PM »
Copplestone future wars
Gates of Antares
Wandering stars, for whom is reserved, the blackness, the darkness forever.

https://thelostcityofcarcosa.com

Online Scarper

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2023, 12:12:55 AM »
Most of my Cannon Fodder have Stargrave/Frostgrave heads.
(img removed)

The arm connections are different, I need to  smooth in the joint on this engineer.
(img removed)

Thanks for posting those - really helpful direct comparisons. Joints look a little janky, but not too hard to fix. Good to know!

You could always look for other Bobby Jackson sculpts as he sculpted the bulk of the Stargrave minis.

RBJ have a few of his sci-fi minis for example

https://store-rbjgc-com.3dcartstores.com/

Cheers for this! I was having a look at the website, but the images are tiny! Makes you wonder how they plan to sell anything...

Was it the STAR troopers that he did? They seem stylistically pretty similar, and there are a few sculpts I really like in there.

Offline Terry Deathstrike

• Assistant
    • Samurai Redundancy Package
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2023, 05:48:41 PM »
Cheers for this! I was having a look at the website, but the images are tiny! Makes you wonder how they plan to sell anything...
Was it the STAR troopers that he did? They seem stylistically pretty similar, and there are a few sculpts I really like in there.

Indeed. The kickstarter images are a bit bigger.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2023, 10:40:29 AM »
I forgot the Great Escape Gunslingers:

Gunslinger body and Stargrave head and arms.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2023, 12:44:13 PM »
All,
       Yep, I’ve been having great fun messing about with single sprues of different sets. The only problem I encountered was with the female Cannon Fodder minis.  They are quite tall.  I solved it though with a bit of creative surgery.