Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:06:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690960
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Doodler's 6mm] War/Security/Industrial Bots || 14 Aug  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
Re: [Doodler's 6mm] Scavengers || 15 Jun
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2023, 06:32:49 PM »
Thanks, all

Deliberately went lighter with this group, trying to go for all browns but keeping the lightest one for the large surface areas. Also went with a rim around the bases which I think looks a bit better after all, so may rebase the others to match. Will at at least create a border between base and terrain.

Unfortunately, sometimes even the hardiest survivalist can't withstand brushstrokes...

Was going to try and pin him but realised that at his thickest he was scarcely larger than my usual paper clip pins. Going to need a finer drill bit.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2023, 06:50:45 PM »
Pity..
It is going to be difficult to pin him back, though you might succeed with needles & a 0.7mm drill bit ( If I'm not mistaken)
OR
Make a cloak out of milliput to shore him up.

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2023, 12:09:28 AM »
Seeing the pencil / paperclip really brings home how tiny these guys are - you've got some amazing detail for the scale.

My favourites are the gas-masked fellow on the left, or the bearded guy with the mine-sweeper / spade. You've packed a lot of character into them!

Make a cloak out of milliput to shore him up.

Solid plan! A cloak could save the day.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2023, 12:25:59 AM »
This is all looking great, small scale skirmish is very practical and can be just as pretty as bigger scales (as you’re proving).

I’d suggest a small amount (I’ve used pin head sized balls) of procreate putty (grey version of green stuff just infinitely better and more useful) and a tiny dab of superglue on each surface increases bond. I’ve gap filled and repaired exactly that issue on 10mm printed chaps and bigger. Whilst the glue holds the bond you can sculpt the putty to fit.

The cloak idea however is inspired and would be generate a very solid fix for this problem. I’ve also had great success by rebasing the bodies using glue into putty on the base and then hidden the none existent feet (I did start sculpting them but realised I often just hid them anyway) with scatter/plants. If it was metal, cast resin or plastic I’d just say pin as it’d be simple but printed resin is not an easy material to do this on.

Balm
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2023, 10:12:47 PM »
Decided to take all your advice and graft on a cloak for the legless chap.

Not my finest green stuffing - the in particular will be several sizes too large - but it should hopefully mean I don't need to repaint most of him once it's cured. The cloak will be a bit bulky at the back but I didn't want to try drilling into the mini itself to accommodate the paper clip.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: [Doodler's 6mm] Astro Marines || 22 Jun
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2023, 11:05:07 PM »
Some quickly-done power-armoured elites - a simple drybrush and then coating of speed paint, which worked a lot better than previous attempts to use contrast / speed paints at this scale. Guns got a metallic basecoat, speed paint wash, metalic highlight (with a red speed paint to cover the leader's pistol power cell), and a single light blue layer for the shoulder trim.

Am now re-basing the previous units to match this light brown with black rim.

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2023, 11:39:07 PM »
They look fantastic! I'm amazed by how quickly you can knock out squads of these guys at the scale.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2023, 12:30:12 PM »
I have an appalling attention span and can only paint in short bursts - 6mm at least allows those bursts to complete a full stage in one painting session, rather than dragging a single element out across multiple sittings. It (and 15mm when painting individuals) is the procrastinator's scale.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: [Doodler's 6mm] Rebasing everything|| 25 Jun
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2023, 03:32:06 PM »
I tend to view basing like cinema's pre-feature adverts - a frustrating time sink which you have to endure to enjoy the part you're actually here for. So better to apply the preferred base scheme to the previous minis before it becomes too much of a chore, though despite the small surface area it still felt like unfun hobbying.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: [Doodler's 6mm] Scratch-built terrain || 03 Jul
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2023, 09:03:54 PM »
I've a box of bits and bobs accumulated over time from disassembling household goods and electronics and occasional excursions to a hardware charity shop. Finally started gluing things together to get some terrain pieces. These pieces are mostly from a DVD player and Xerox toner cartridge packaging.

Didn't need them to be visually snazzy, so after a gesso undercoat I just gave them a basecoat and drybrush, and then coated them with Army Painter quickshade / wood varnish followed by a matt varnish. Should hopefully be durable enough to endure travel. All with magnets on the bottom, of course.

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2023, 09:14:48 PM »
Brilliant stuff! Great looking minis and I love the scenery.

Totally agree with basing, I hate it whatever the scale.

I think I might have to revisit some old projects 🤔

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2023, 09:53:17 PM »
If only their feet could accommodate being glued to clear plastic, 6mm life would be much simpler!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2023, 10:27:05 PM »
Those look quite good! It is fun to see how bits and pieces and packaging can be turned into buildings and scatter items for 6mm battlefields.

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
    • Dispatches from the Miniature Front
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2023, 03:21:38 AM »
With everything magnetized... what's your actual playing surface?
Dispatches from the Miniature Front - my occasionally updated blog

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: [Doodler's 6mm] More scratch-built terrain || 07 Jul
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2023, 07:15:10 PM »
I've been using a 31cm square tray bought from Amazon, layered with a covering of PVA, caulk, sand and paint which gives a decent enough texture without being too thick to render the magnets ineffective. It fits perfectly in this charity shopped-container - got two fantasy-based trays to go alongside, and a fourth awaiting inspiration.

I'm working on a proper travel case for these minis though - sticking steel sheets onto a folding chessboard small enough for a backpack but which opens up to make a decently sized gaming area. The terrain pieces should be able to fit inside without rattling around in transit.

Speaking of which, here are some more finished pieces: