Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:09:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gaming Mats...How Busy Do You Like the Printed Features?  (Read 1386 times)

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Gaming Mats...How Busy Do You Like the Printed Features?
« on: June 19, 2023, 11:06:52 PM »
I'm looking at a couple of different lush green gaming mats for games of Ronin. I've been collecting some plants to use as scatter terrain, but when looking at gaming mats, I'm not sure how much detail I want there.

Examples...

This mat has plants printed on it already which can add to the thick growth of vegetation or would it look weird with scatter terrain minis standing on these printed plants? https://store.frontlinegaming.org/collections/gaming-mats/products/6174440489125-flg-mats-jungle?variant=37902674034853

On the other hand, something like this just has green and some rocks, so might look more natural with scatter terrain on it? https://store.frontlinegaming.org/collections/gaming-mats/products/7804214477032-flg-mats-grasslands-1?variant=43235636642024

For those using these sort of printed, neoprene mats. Thoughts from your experience, please.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: Gaming Mats...How Busy Do You Like the Printed Features?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 11:21:49 PM »
Minimal pre-printed stuff for me.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 01:38:16 AM »
For a good general purpose mat?  Very limited - zero "trees" or "crops", etc.  The occasional small bush or rocks/gravel?  Okay.  Roads?  I'd prefer not unless I purchased it specifically for a project or something similar.

My favourite mat was Deep Cut Studios 'Steppe', but they've since changed it and I can't get another one (which I need for larger games).

Also, personally suggest anything other than FLG --- their stuff is done by video game artists and I find them very poor compared to other companies graphics (Urbanmatz is my top, followed by Deep Cut Studios, and I like the stuff I've seen from Gamemat.eu.  PWorks does pretty solid stuff).

Less is absolutely more in most cases.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 07:12:55 AM »
Geek Villain Mats look like they should be good.  I'm also thinking what style I want.  I think minimal detail and also muted colours to allow the minitures to stand out.  On my current mat my figures seem to get lost.  Some mats seem to photograph either very dark or very shiny.  I presume this is an issue around what type of material is used for the mats.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 07:45:32 AM »
I have about a dozen diffeent mats for various settings and I think those with minimal detail work best with scatter terrain. The exception is a jungle mat with pathways meandering through undergrowth, which looks fine with trees and clumps of plants (but then, I do use a lot of plants in my jungles!).

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 08:23:05 AM »
I like fairly plain mats - but it’s good to have some items to break up the colour, so it’s not mono-chrome.

But actual features like fields or roads etc can be quite limiting.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 02:56:02 PM »
Plainer is better.  Overly detailed mats with added terrain can create a bit of a dizzying effect.  My go to our Cigar Box Battle Mats but many of their offerings are too detailed for my tastes.  So, the 'palette' is limited but the good ones are really good.

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 04:57:35 PM »
@FifteensAway, can you speak a little more to Cigar Box? I currently have one of the older Citadel Grass mats, and have played on Neoprene mats, but the description of Cigar Box is fleece fabric?

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 06:05:39 PM »
I have a CBB mat and really like it.  Being Fleece it is easy to fold up and store away like a sheet, and it you really get it dirty you can wash it! The only downside is that clump foliage like moss can get stuck in it.  They also make them slightly bigger than the standard gaming table so they have a little bit of hang-over, which I like. 

I personally prefer fleece over Neoprene as there is no glare or shine, it bends easy, and if I want to use books under it to make sloping features I can. 

Here is a picture of mine with scatter terrain on it:

I do not recall which version it is, but it was intentionally chosen to be generic.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023, 12:25:41 AM »
So, I have a number of CBB mats - and will gladly order more.  The clump foliage issue raised has never been a problem for me - just give it a good shake and no problem.  For me, the only 'negative' is that on a smooth surface the cloth might slide a bit but since I add terrain that helps hold it in place this is rarely a problem.

I recently hosted a test game of a Seven Years War game (hypothetical battle) for a convention in July and took some photos:

First is of just the cloths, I have two of this mat and want a third for larger games:

Same mat with added terrain - though nearest mat is a different one, why I want one more of the above (table was 5' x 14'+).  The hills are made from plywood and the weight really helps hold the mats down.  I am thinking to get some thin anti-skid material to improve adhesion but it isn't that big of a problem.

And here is an action shot on the Austrian left flank as they go up against a strongly held Prussian town and ridge.  Ultimately, the Austrians managed to turn the other flank after a great to-and-fro of opposing cavalry and pushed hard against this objective to take the victory for the day.

Note the river in the second shot was blue two days before the game but I repainted it to better match the creek at the far end and just look more realistic than a 'coloring book' blue river.

Figures are 10 or 12 mm (or maybe very small 15 mm - well, the ones I added, about 15% of the collection are definitely 10 mm, old Magnificent Little Soldiers from OldGlory25s).

You can get CBB mats double sided but I think they are glossier and I only want matte terrain.  Will buy more when the budget allows.  But only the 'all terrain' mats without roads, fields, trees, and other 'clutter'.  But that's just me, others like the more detailed mats.  They also sell huge mats for both Gettysburg and Waterloo - and pricey but suitable for those megalomaniacs crazy enough to recreate those battles!  :o lol

I believe the mats in the first image are this one:

http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel.com/product/mixed-ground-3-x3-241

Also want to get some of these:

http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel.com/product/grassland-2-4x6-plus-410

But 4' x 6' versions only (basically more than covers 4' x 6' - almost 5' wide by not quite 7' long.  Very good value for money in my opinion.  And they do sometimes have sales which is even better value.  Several others I hope to add to my collection at some point - when the budget permits.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 12:37:29 AM by FifteensAway »

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2023, 03:03:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
How are Cigar Box mats stored? It looks like maybe folded and rolled up in tubes. Do the mats maintain a crease?

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2023, 04:05:27 PM »
I fold mine, but I do not see creases. They are thick enough fleece not to see that.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2023, 01:45:17 PM »
CBB mats are soft enough that they don't hold creases from being folded.  I keep mind folded and inside the original plastic bags they came in and then inside a plastic tub with a lid to keep the dust out (in garage). 

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2023, 01:54:20 PM »
I'm not a great fan of mats though I do have one.  I prefer the mat to have a minimum of additional printed features no roads, tracks, bushes, rocks, gullies, streams, ponds etc.  Unless I specifically want them, I suppose, though I've never needed them yet.  I also find that making matching hills is a bother trying to match the colours used in the mat so my hills remain the colour of my baseboard.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2023, 08:19:46 PM »
I suppose, with a mat and chosing which material it is made from depends on whether you are a hills on top person or a hills underneath one.