Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:35:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: gaming mats  (Read 11814 times)

Offline Tim

• Librarian
Re: gaming mats
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 09:17:58 PM »
Not the best one?  Pretty darn nice looking action shot if you ask me!

I can also recommend the ones from Barrage Miniatures. Expensive but worth it.

This is the only picture I could find of mine, not the best one unfortunately...

--
Tim

Offline Gothic Line

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 06:39:18 PM »

Yes this option is one of the best but may cause an allergic reaction with all that fur!
 The other 2 options are:

A Vinyl one (the down side being a glossy or rather absolutely flat look).
 A Snooker cloth one (good but not as realistic).

I should be leaning more towards a Cloth one...I dont know...
 Thanks again
 Gui

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 03:37:16 AM »
So I am spoiled for choice guys! All options are good,the vinyl ones are also interesting as an option but I think they might feel a bit glossy given the Vinyl look...

Watch the video, I thought the same thing. I plan to order several in about a month,
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Gothic Line

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »

Thanks Styx but which one?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 01:28:37 AM »
TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY EUROS?! (plus shipping, and any applicable taxes and duties)

Holy bejesus!

I'm not saying there's no value to labour, but for that much money I could buy a good airbrush, compressor, a cheap electric trimmer, and a big sheet of fun fur.

Making a fur terrain mat is not secret laser rocket science, it just requires some expensive equipment to do properly.

I made an acrylic caulk and sand mat on canvas for a total aggregate cost of maybe $50.

Two tutorials which will serve you very very well:

1) Acrylic caulk mats: part 1 - http://mallencreations.blogspot.ca/2013/06/new-gaming-mat-part-i.html?m=1  part 2 - http://mallencreations.blogspot.ca/2013/06/gaming-mat-part-ii.html?m=1

2) Fur mats: http://www.elladan.de/065%20Tutorial%20Furmat/065.htm

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
  • Enthusiastically Apathetic
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 02:03:25 AM »
I agree with Mr Framson.  Acrylic caulk and a canvas dropcloth makes an excellent mat. And you can make amazing textures in the caulk.

Personally, I didn't use sand or flock on mine.  A little sponge painting and you have any base terrain you can imagine just by varying the color palette. $20 for a 9'x12' canvas dropcloth, 2 tubes of caulk at $4 each, and a few bottles of craft paint and you end up with a mat that rivals one you'd pay much more for. 
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!"- The Joker(Jack Nicholson)

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 02:32:26 AM »
Thanks Styx but which one?

http://www.deepcutstudio.com/faqs

There is a second video that is linked on the page....not seen it yet....

Offline Gothic Line

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 12:11:09 PM »

Because of allergies I might be better of with vinyl ones...
 I have 2 questions what material are they made of ? is it simple vinyl the one people use in publicity in cars shop windows etc?
 Do they use 2 layers,like vinyl plus a cloth underneath?

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 12:07:45 AM »
I don't know yet. I am about to order mine but watch the video and perhaps email the company with questions. To me it looks like quality material, not crap....I do plan to do a review when I order and get mine, but it may not be until January until I can do so.

From what I have read in reviews and those that own them nobody has had any complaints.

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
    • baconfatblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 01:02:33 AM »
If you go with painted teddy bear fur, don't buy the cheaper fur.  The cheaper stuff matts up more after paint, the paint has trouble getting to base of "grass" and also clogs up the clippers when you try to hair cut some paths or roads.

Offline Gothic Line

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2014, 09:43:46 PM »

Thanks a lot guys!

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2014, 10:13:03 PM »
I have one of the deep cut mats and am not sure how to answer your question: it looks to me like smooth vinyl on one side and something else on the bottom. There is a logo on the playing side which is a tad annoying, but it's small. I roll mine up poster style and if I let it sit with some books on it for an hour it goes flat again. I also got it cut to a custom size which was nice as it fits my dining room table perfectly. My only complaint would be that the 2d photographic desert texture doesn't blend as well as an actual textured mat would, but it still pretty convincing. The company is reliable even though they are a bit far afield being in Romania or some such. They also do custom images for mats--I had them make me one for WW2 air gaming based off a high res aerial photo of England.

The barrage mats look gorgeous and I would pay for one if I thought it would last 20 years. I had a bad experience, however, with a high end mat from terrain-mats as the mat only lasted about 5 years before it began shedding and cracking like crazy, which was unexpected. He claims they are better now, but I am still warey.

Good luck!

Offline Gothic Line

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 12:48:55 AM »

Thanks a lot axabrax! Must have some gaming mats as soon as possible!

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 02:55:26 AM »
Just a FYI, saw in one of my news feeds for gaming that Deep Cut Studios now offers not only the vynial but cloth material now......very excited by this...sounds like that may be your solution there.

Also this was in the news, a double bonus, a discount!
To celebrate this until December 14th all gaming mats are available with a -10% discount with a code ‘gimmecloth’ at our webshop checkout window. Grab yourself a part of upcoming holiday joy and get ready for the next year’s gaming pleasure!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 03:26:39 AM by styx »

Offline Into The Eagle`s Nest

• Assistant
    • INTO THE EAGLE`S NEST
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 05:44:46 PM »
Did anyone order the new cloth maps already? Or perhaps is anyone in the possession of two different ones and can do comparison - PVC vs cloth? Thanx!