Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:07:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691086
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yuma Proving Ground - a Forbidden Zone - Suffield Canada - 23rd Aug  (Read 11445 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
I’ve been led astray and wish to blame Bullshott, Chimpfoot and now Dan55 for their excursions into some sort of Forbidden Zone, as well as DougnotEM4 for pointing me in their direction. I’ve not only bought a new rule set, Zona Alfa but read it and used it and played a game, all within 3 days.
I’ve not given too much thought to my backstory and the Yuma Proving Ground doesn’t have a very sexy ring to it so don’t know if I’ll continue with my crew after this game. I went with the idea of…..well you’ll get the idea if you read on, or won’t if you don’t. Oh and I write the text relating to a picture underneath the said picture  :)

This is starting to get out of hand, for me at least, so I'm starting a contents section to try and keep up with myself. Of course this is going to be a complete spoiler but will save a lot of reading for any casual visitor. ;)

Page 1 - Yuma Biker Gang the Vagabonds are in Jail. The introduction to the Yuma Proving Ground and
             also Ebenezer's Place.
             The Vagabonds decide to rescue Alice.

Page 3 - The Vagabonds continue to rescue Alice and are arrested.
             The Vagabonds are bailed out of jail - but there are conditions.

Page 4 - Captain Andy Donovan (Lawman) and Katie Monk (Reporter) decide to visit Silas and Bull in the
             desert to learn more about events in the Y.P.G.
             Unfortunately S & B are now zombies and try to eat them.
             A.D and K.M. run away.

Page 5 - Katie Monk re-visits the Mojave Desert - 2023
             Explanation of her 2018 Assignment into the Mojave and how it all started.
             Recovery of the Evidence from the 2018 expedition and dog training in the desert, the Tug method.

Page 5 - CFB Suffield, Canada a potted history.

Page 6 bottom Suffield the fight

The Start

Yuma Proving Ground

It was just for a laugh, well a laugh and a few beers but as I looked around at the rest of the crew I could see they couldn’t see the fun in it anymore.

You would probably think the same if you were in Fort Huachuca prison block waiting to see your lawyer, although as we hadn’t been allowed a phone call yet we were not expecting to see one soon.

Perhaps I’d better explain from the beginning, or at least our beginning. We all lived and grew up in Arizona, near to the Yuma Proving Ground. A huge military establishment, the base occupied some 1,300 square miles and was home to numerous different branches of the military as well as some civil and law enforcement agencies. It was roughly 36 miles square and we knew it housed establishments that were every bit as secret as the famous Area 51. Most of the space was given over to the usual training and firing areas, accommodation blocks, communications centres, etc etc. Then three years ago there was rumoured to be a new establishment being set up. It was housed in an underground bunker built especially for them, they were known as the Arizona Research and Scientific Establishment. A.R.S.E. for short.

Eight Ball lived nearest to the Proving Ground with his Pa, Ebenezer, in a small gaggle of buildings in the desert, so small in fact that they had no name. It was just called Ebenezer’s Place. He was the envy of all the kids at school because he lived in a road side bar, which surprisingly was called “Ebenezer’s Bar” and Ebenezer had the best Pool table in Arizona. Eight Ball got to practice a lot.

There were only three buildings, or Businesses in Ebenezer’s Place.

Ebenezer’s Bar, which had existed for ever and survived because it was on the back road out of the Proving Ground. Jimmy Thompson owned the bar on the main road out of the Ground and he made a fortune but Ebenezer got by on the slower traffic out the back.

Dora Du Fran was the main reason there was a reliable flow of customers passing along the back road but the least said about her business model the better.

The small black Porsche sports car parked discreetly behind the Bath House might indicate who made the most money in Ebenezer’s Place but “what the IRS don’t know, the IRS don’t get” as Dora used to say.

The other business was Frank’s.

Frank sold guns, he repaired guns, he loved guns, it’s even rumoured he slept with a gun. Mind you in Arizona, most people slept with a gun, although maybe not in the same way as Frank.

Frank and Ebenezer didn’t get along. They hadn’t got along for some time, 50 years was the best guess, but I really don’t know the truth of the matter, I’m not that old and I don’t believe what old folk’s tell me.

They would stand outside their respective front doors and glare at each other, hatred, malice, and even a little animosity was conveyed in those silent glares. Some thought it was over a woman, some thought differently, neither Ebenezer nor Frank were ever in the mood to discuss it.

Anyway I don’t suppose you’re interested in Frank and Ebenezer but much more interested in A.R.S.E. and how that might have anything to do with my being in jail.

Well - gradually they expanded within the base, more buildings were erected within their compound but still no one knew what they were doing. Even Dora hadn’t picked up anything substantial, well not in the way of hard news at least. She knew they were there but that was it, the employees of A.R.S.E. were a tight lipped bunch.

As always rumours abounded, nuclear research, toxic gas, toxic virus, toxic this, toxic that, even searching for the cure to the common cold had a small following – well you name it and someone had thought of it. Nothing much changed until 3 weeks ago when all hell let loose.

The military moved out from the Base in a wave pushing everything and everybody in front of them. Ebenezer, Frank and Dora were given 15 minutes to pack up and leave. They had a lifetimes possessions to pack in 15 minutes. Dora was done in 5 but Frank and Ebenezer took a little longer.

Frank panicked, he drove his Range Rover into the rail fence and was lucky that Dora had room in her Porsche for him and a few of his favourite guns, she made him leave the rest in the car.

There was no explanation from the Military, just pack up and go.

Eight Ball was on his way back from town to Ebenezer’s Place when he met his Pa on the road out. “What do you mean” Eight Ball said, “You packed your collection of 1930’s cigarette cards but didn’t pack Alice”. “No” Ebenezer responded, “I forgot Alice, I’m sorry son”.

You might be wondering who Alice is and why Ebenezer would try and pack her anyway, Ok well maybe you’re not wondering but I’ll tell you anyway. Alice is Eight Balls pool cue and he was very attached to her. She was to prove our undoing and the reason we are currently residing in Fort Huachuca prison block awaiting our phone call.
Perhaps I should introduce you to the crew in happier circumstances.

This photograph was taken last year in front of Ebenezer’s Bar, Eight Ball is in the back row, just under the R in BAR. I say row but it’s more of a bunch, strangely we thought we’d call our gang the Wild Bunch but Ulrika pointed out that someone had already done that, and they were all dead now.
Fast Freddie back and left thought we should call ourselves the Middle Arizona Biker Devils but no one liked that suggestion at all. Fat Willie and Tank, the two squat thugs either side of Ulrika thought we should be the Yuma Chapter of the Hells Angels but they wouldn’t let us join the Hells Angels.
Finally it was Bubble (Blond hair back and left, almost out of sight) who suggested we be the Vagabonds. “Why the Vagabonds” asked Ulrika. “Well weren’t they like knights of old, who rode horses to rescue damsels in distress and we ride bikes, they’re like horses aren’t they” Bubble replied. We all looked at her in astonishment, well apart from Big Dave who fancied his chances.
Bubble is not the sharpest knife in the drawer but the name stuck and we all agreed we should be the Vagabonds. Ride the back roads and rescue any damsels we got half a chance to rescue, even if they weren’t in distress. Angie, Ulrika, Desire and Babe didn’t like that idea but Bubble thought it was a great notion and so when Eight Ball brought up Alice, you remember Alice, we all agreed to rescue her.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 10:10:00 AM by Vagabond »

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: Yuma Proving Ground - a Forbidden Alpha Zone
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 01:22:04 AM »
Great intro  :-*
A.R.S.E .  lol lol lol lol lol
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 03:17:54 AM »
Wonderful, I love it.  That's a very nice set of figures - old & new Copplestone?  With a couple others added.

Who doesn't remember Alice?  Didn't he originally find her in a different restaurant?

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 06:45:37 AM »
What did I do🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤣🤣🤣🤣

Great start vagabond 👍🏼
Lovely looking table and terrain nice start and backstory ….😊😊😊
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 08:00:40 AM »
Brilliant start and a great looking set-up. From purchase to execution in record time too!  :-*

the employees of A.R.S.E. were a tight lipped bunch.

lol   lol   lol

You might be wondering who Alice is

Is it Arlo and we can get anything we want or is it that song where you have to shout "who the f**k's Alice" in the chorus (Smokie?)?

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 11:04:44 AM »
Great introduction and setup. Looking forward to the rescue mission.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 11:05:47 AM »
That is a very promising introduction! I will follow with interest what is going to happen around the Yuma Proving Ground from now on...

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 11:14:44 AM »
An entertaining introduction. I look forward to more, including your
opinion of the rules.

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 02:07:13 PM »
Always a pleasure to read such background story  :)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 02:39:34 PM »
Great job setting the scene.  :-*  I look forward to the next chapter of the story...

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2023, 07:19:23 PM »
Lovely work there.  And I like how you're cleverly embedded your photos within the post.   ;D

Now, do Frank and Ebenezer REALLY dislike each other, or is that just a well-managed front to hide the fact that they are really in cahoots with each other?

And damn you all.  :o  All these stories, with well-though out and nicely-written back stories has me pondering doing something myself.  Oh well, I didn't have enough stuff to do already... ;)

"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2023, 11:04:31 AM »
Thanks for all your kind comments, I've rarely visited this board and if Doug hadn't pointed Bullshott's work I would have missed some very entertaining AAR's and a very friendly greeting.
Thanks.

Cptn Jim, I did look for your posts and was amazed to find you not gaming here and I'm pleased you noticed the embedded pictures though :D
Has.been I'll be making reference to the rules more than normal in one of my AAR's hopefully that will be some use.
Cheers

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
Re: Yuma Proving Ground - a Forbidden Zone Game 1 Pt 2
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2023, 11:24:34 AM »
I'm sorry to drip feed this story but events are conspiring against me and it'll be a few days before I can complete it. However I'm much excited by the potential for the game concept that I want to maintain as much momentum as I can.

PART 2

The Rules
WUSIWUG – Each team will have a veteran leader and 3 to 9 other members – game board is 3’ or 4’ square – game duration is 4 + 1D3 turns long. Well this is my game and I’ll have none of that dictatorial nonsense from any rules writer.
Everyone has a pistol, this is Arizona after all, although some have a BA Pistol which in my usual rules means Big Ass Pistol, Desert Eagle type of thing I imagine. There is a distinction in ZA between the two types so that was good. Some have knives, chains and in the spirit of what you see is what you get, I think 3 of them had grenades, although again in the spirit of things they only had 1.

Bubble carries a pump action shotgun and not much else, Vincent and Big Dave have shotguns as well as multiple other weapons. They don’t subscribe to Bubble’s minimalist approach.
Babe carries a huge revolver and a spiked war hammer, I think she’s from Games Workshop so obviously spikey, but she looks cool.

Three of them had pouches of some sort and these contained medical kits, you know the sort of thing, a strong antiseptic like bourbon, to relieve the pain, a cork, to push into a wound and stop the bleeding, a bandage, to elicit sympathy from the female members of the crew. That sort of equipment.

You may remember we weren’t allowed to join the Hells Angels, we don’t discuss it because it’s a bit embarrassing but they said we weren’t tough enough. Everyone is green or inexperienced and we don’t have a leader, well that’s not strictly true. Fast Freddie who is a bit of a poser, he carries twin colts in a western rig and Big Willie vie with each other to take the gang leader role but we all know that Ulrika is the Brains as well as the Beauty in the gang. Of course she can’t be the leader because she’s a girl.

Arriving at a barrier in the road, Freddie said “It looks like they don’t want us to go any further”. Big Willie wanted to know what Quarantine meant. Both of them were looking a little dubious about the quest to rescue Alice.
“Don’t be ridiculous” said Ulrika, “If we meet anyone we’ll just tell them we came in from the south and didn’t see the signs. They haven’t completed the fence yet so there’s nothing to keep us out”.

“Are you sure about this” said Fast Freddie when they came to the next sign.

“Don’t be such a Jessie”, retorted Ulrika, “we’re not looting, we’re rescuing Alice and if there’s any beer left in the bar….well technically that belongs to Eight Balls dad so we can’t be looting something that’s already ours. Well….Ebenezer’s and he said we could have it, didn’t he Eight Ball”

Eight Ball looked embarrassed, shuffled his feet in the sand and muttered “well I didn’t tell him we were coming in case he wouldn’t allow it”.

Ulrika had a rather disbelieving look in her eye and I could see she finally understood why we hadn’t been allowed to join the Hell’s Angels, we would be more at home in the Hells Grannies Arizona Chapter. With a slight, incredulous shake of her head she turned and moved off the road, aiming to arrive at Ebenezer’s place from the south. We followed.

The rules call for a square board and starting 6” in from any edge. This board is 0.8 x 1.2m, so roughly the right area but wrong shape. Our objective is the Bar and the Hot Spots are the Gun Shop and Dora’s Crib, I didn’t place them symmetrically so rolled a dice to determine my start point, the white marker. Then rolled another dice to determine the number of turns the game would last, 6 turns. That means some event will happen on the start of the 7th turn that ends the game.
Then I realised that all my characters were rookies and only have 1 action per turn, they have effectively a 6” move so can’t get to the Bar, search it and get off the table in 6 turns. They will meet some opposition in each location and that will take up time as well. My solution was that they would spend the night in the bar and have 6 turns to get inside, neutralise the opposition and search the place before getting down to looting/liberating Ebenezer’s stock of beer and whiskey and having a good time.

Ulrika issued her commands, “Tank, you, Dave Angie and Harley check out Franks gun shop and get to the Bar as quick as you can”. “The rest of you with me” and she strode off in the direction of the bar like a man whose been in the desert most of the day and has worked up a tidy thirst.

Just as quickly the other group made for Franks. Obviously not because they had a thist but because Dora Du Fran had told them that the Army and Police were making regular patrols to ensure no one entered the exclusion zone. I imagine once the final zone area has been established they will fence it off to keep people out, but as we still don’t know what they’re excluding us from we don’t know how big an area this will be.

I mentioned the rumour mill, well currently the most popular theory was that A.R.S.E. had been carrying out various biological and genetic experiments and these had gone wrong. The A.R.S.E. compound inside the Yuma Proving Ground was a complete no go area, Threat level 3 they said. The whole of the Proving Ground had been evacuated and was considered Threat level 2. The Military were patrolling the existing fence around the Ground but on the outside of it. They obviously wanted to contain something!

There was a new fence under construction but it was a huge undertaking and in the mean time signs had been erected along a possible perimeter and this whole area was under constant surveillance by armed patrols.

Meanwhile Harley has arrived at the back door to the Gun Shop and tries the handle of the door, it’s not locked.

Ok that's my work in progress so far, I'll have a number of questions about the rules and if anyone can shed light on them I would greatly appreciate your thoughts. I'm not on Facebook and have no real intention of being there so can't access that body of information. I've read a bit of the Stalker blog but I'm as usual late to the party.

Oh and for you Americans who might not understand what a "Jessie" is, it's the same as being likened to "a big girls blouse" so I hope that clear that up for you, if you were wondering of course. ;)

Cheers

« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 08:08:27 PM by Vagabond »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Yuma Proving Ground - a Forbidden Alpha Zone - Part 2
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2023, 12:36:16 PM »
Excellent part 2 and I'm agog for more. Some of your team remind me of some bodyguards I hired years ago, in an adventure entitled 'The Scoop'!

Keep it coming!   :-*

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Yuma Proving Ground - a Forbidden Alpha Zone - Part 2
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2023, 01:27:26 PM »
This is enjoyable, John. The board looks good - I particularly like the shot down what we may call Main Street with Frank and Ebenezer staring each other out.

I’m hoping to try out the rules in a very small game once I’ve reassembled the board after the grandchildren decided to take all the scenery off it and improvise their own game on the floor. Then we can compare notes and bafflement.

I’m liking your background here and your very convincing plunge into talking ‘merican (apart from "jessie", obviously).

Very interested to see what comes next.

Doug