Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:04:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691085
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Late 17th Century Reading Materiel?  (Read 863 times)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Late 17th Century Reading Materiel?
« on: June 30, 2023, 06:38:33 AM »
Good Morning. I've recently been reading about the Sedgemoor Rebellion and this has piqued my interest in the Late 17th century and the Wars of Louis XIV, something I haven't studied since my school days over 40 years ago. I know there was a lot of seige warfare but much "mobile" warfare worth gaming? I've seen lots of Heliin books but they seem focused on the armies. Can anyone recommend any books on the campaigns and battles themselves?

Offline Hwiccee

• Bookworm
Re: Late 17th Century Reading Materiel?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 10:27:11 AM »
Predictably most of the material in English focuses on 'English' subjects.

So there are lots of books on the war in Ireland in the late 80's/early 90's. A seach for the battles of the Boyne and Aughrim should turn up more but I would recommend John Childs  "The Williamite Wars in Ireland 1688-91"

The same person also does "The Nine Years War and the British Army 1688-97". This focuses on the campaigns in the Low Countries but doesn't tell you much about the rest of the war.

For a more general look at the era and an overview of all the wars try Jhn Lynn "The Wars of Louis XIV".

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 06:11:12 AM »
Hwiccee, many thanks. I've checked out your suggestions and they do look good. My big question is whether I commit to another gaming period. Its not so much the cost as the painting time.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 09:02:16 AM »
If you're considering the period I recommend Every Bullet Has Its Billet - A guide to Wargaming the Late 17thC by Barry Hilton and published by Helion.

It's an excellent resource for someone who wants to start gaming the period....or thinks they might.

Barry's "4Play" scenario's available from Warfare Miniatures as all small scale affairs and very playable, and easily adapted to other rule sets though the Beneath the Lilly Banners is in itself worth the purchase price for background and pictures. The second edition is still available and is just as good as its more expensive third edition sibling.

Helions book on Argylls Rebellion "Fighting for Liberty" is worth a look if you're interested in Sedgemoor and  googling the Siege of Vienna might give you some more leads - there was an extensive military campaign before and after it, involving far more colourful troops than those in Western Europe as well as Austrian and Bavaria forces.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 11:42:41 AM »
Emir, many thanks. I already have both Helion books on the Monmouth Rebellion and was at Sedgemoor earlier this week. Indeed it was this trip that sparked my wider interest. I have thought about the Barry Hilton "Every Bullet has its Buller". I'll take up your suggestion about "Beneath the Liky Banners" v2.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2023, 11:44:10 AM »
There's an Osprey Essential History title The French Wars 1667–1714, if you want a basic primer. I have a copy, it's not especially detailed, as you would expect of an Osprey but it's a starter and covers a bit of ground.

For the UK, I'd recommend John Childs' The Army of Charles II, very good work that not only covers Sedgemoor and the intervention in Scotland but also Tangiers and the Flanders campaigns.

On the subject of Tangier, I'd suggest AJ Smithers' The Tangier Campaign. very good study of a lesser known theatre and of course the first battle honour of the British Army.

Both David Chandler's Sedgemoor 1685 and John Tincey's identically titled tomes are the books you want for Sedgemoor. On balance I still prefer the Chandler tome despite it being an older study.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2023, 05:13:33 PM »
Carlos, thanks. I don't usually bother with the Osprey "Essentials" but might get this one. I'll look for the Chandler or Tincey Sedgemoor book but as both are out of print my choice might depend on which I can get for a decent price 2nd hand.