Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:21:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 6 hours to paint a small Epic unit!  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
6 hours to paint a small Epic unit!
« on: August 23, 2023, 02:55:04 PM »
I have just completed a two base napoleonic Prussian unit, but it took me almost 6 hours from start to finish …. Too long in my view.

I have put up a bit of a blog ramble that breaks down the painting phases If you have any observations that you think might help to pick up some speed, then please feel free to shout out.

LINK

https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2023/08/epic-project-part-ii-painting-figures.html

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
Re: 6 hours to paint a small Epic unit!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 03:22:08 PM »
You can see the bulk of your time is the block painting.  How are you doing the block painting in terms of brush strokes and figures?  With these smaller scale figures the most efficient way to paint them is to do the same brush stroke on each figure in turn.  So don't paint the trousers on the first, then the trousers on the second, etc but do a brush stroke on the first trouser front, then the second trouser front, etc then go back to the first figure for the next section of trouser.  It hugely speeds up the painting as you are not continually manipulating the figures but are able to dab, dab, dab along the row.

They look very nice though.  As you say even if you chopped off 1 hour is that really going to make or break the project?  1.5 hours per strip undercoated and based sounds like pretty good going to me.  You can also probably save some time by undercoating and basing more figures at a time.  I work on about 1 hour per strip of ten 6 mm infantry so I would say you are in the right ball park for a good looking result you are happy with.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 03:56:08 PM »
Hi Jon, I have been painting one set of trousers and then another etc, but only along the front, then I turn the strip and do the same on the other side. I will have a go at the method you suggest, it is the dab, dab, dab thing that I would like to get to.

I am somewhat re-assured by times you quote and yes, chopping an hour off, not impacting on project viability is a very good way of looking at it. Thanks.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 04:19:22 PM »
With these smaller scale figures the most efficient way to paint them is to do the same brush stroke on each figure in turn.  So don't paint the trousers on the first, then the trousers on the second, etc but do a brush stroke on the first trouser front, then the second trouser front, etc then go back to the first figure for the next section of trouser.  It hugely speeds up the painting as you are not continually manipulating the figures but are able to dab, dab, dab along the row.

That is how I do it.

Right side of the face all along the line, then the left side, for example.

Nevertheless, you have to accept the fact that you are painting a strip that is 10 men long. It will take time. But you are correct that the rear of the front rank and the front of the second rank should receive far less attention, as you can't see them when mounted. Detail, is also another thing which can be sacrificed without any real visual difference. I tend to try to focus on an item or two that can be seen clearly from afar and then the rest of the mini gets minimum treatment.

I think the best way to approach the EPIC miniatures is to start with small units and build enough forces to be able to play small scenarios. For example, with my ACW minis, I am painting only command stands who will serve as a small regiment. Being able to play with the minis will help to keep your interest and you can then add to your forces at your leisure.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 04:26:27 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 09:07:23 PM »
6 hours seems good to me. Very neat job. Well done  :)

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 02:16:06 PM »
Less detailing and shading, and go with an “impressionist” or “pointillist” approach as opposed to literal .  If you want wargaming pieces versus display pieces you might need to compromise.  remember the two foot rule.  at a six hour rate you might get enough done for Waterloo in about 3-4 years, if your allotment of painting time is the same as mine.

None the less those are beautiful, but as i tell my clients, you can take two of three choices: cheap, plentiful or exquisite
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2023, 02:37:40 PM »
Less detailing and shading, and go with an “impressionist” or “pointillist” approach as opposed to literal .  If you want wargaming pieces versus display pieces you might need to compromise.  remember the two foot rule.  at a six hour rate you might get enough done for Waterloo in about 3-4 years, if your allotment of painting time is the same as mine.

None the less those are beautiful, but as i tell my clients, you can take two of three choices: cheap, plentiful or exquisite

It might be worth an experiment.  Undercoat black, dry brush grey (avoiding boots and hat as much as possible so they are left black), paint coat blue, musket brown, backpack tan, and bayonet silver, pick out faces and hands in flesh then highlight face.  Base and flag as before.  See how long it takes, what they look like at table distance and if that is good enough for you.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 05:07:52 PM by jon_1066 »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 05:03:49 PM »
They do look splendid, though - if my micro-sized forces (a total of just two sprues of Warlord - I only wanted a taster) are a third as good, I will be happy.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2023, 11:47:53 PM »
They look good Norm.

I've found different figures often  need different painting styles.  I wonder if you can shave off time using different sizes of brush for discrete parts of the strip?  A straight line of paint front and back with the trouser brush sort of thing.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 12:19:03 AM »
6 hours seems good to me. Very neat job. Well done  :)

Totally agree.

Bet you will be amazed what you have going once you finish a few more of those fellas.