Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:26:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690936
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bug Hunt Project (15mm) - New Hive Lord  (Read 10036 times)

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Bug Hunt Project (15mm) - New Hive Lord
« on: August 30, 2023, 05:57:38 AM »
Hello All,

There is lots to talk about.  Please allow me to spin a tale of a side project.  I never know if people prefer the slow build up over weeks or just one giant “Grand Reveal!”  thread.  Let me know your preferred style.

This all started when 40K 10th got released.  It was not me who fell to the dark side, it was the eldest child.  Soon he had his best friend and brother playing.  Now I have lots of opinions on GW, but I will say this.  Having the boys build, paint, talk army lists, play, and argue rules was a pure blast.  The gamer energy was high.  I was shocked one weekend to look up from my painting desk to see the basement filled with people building and painting miniatures.  It was fun not being alone in the “man cave.”

This gaming hype got my imagination going and I got the bug (pun intended) to build and paint a Sci-fi project. I wanted marines to face a horde of alien bugs.  “Bugs, Mr. Rico. Zillions of em!”  I re-read Starship troopers to get inspired and I made a couple of decisions. 

First, the project will be in 15mm.  I no longer have the desire to paint 28mm minis.  I was very inspired by all the 15mm sci-fi work found LAF.  Special mention goes to the “15 millimeters through space and time” blog for all the wonderful posts.  Thank you, sir if you read this.   

Second, the fighting would be at close quarters and underground.  I wanted the marines to go into the swarm’s network of tunnels and caverns, a classic bug hunt.  The decision served two purposes.  It would allow me to use the cave terrain for a fantasy Dwarf vs. Goblin game later.  It also allowed me to skip all the vehicles, aircraft, and big walkers.  I would avoid the temptation of a runaway side projects. 

Third, I settled on using the Space Hulk rules and missions for my setup.  The simplified game system was just what I was looking for.  Simple and Brutal.  This let me build small forces at first while still collecting enough minis to run Xenos Rampant style games. 

With all the brain stuff out of the way the project was on.  Over the next month all the following things happen.

• Terrian was crafted and painted. Black Magic Craft style
• Tyranid “doors” were discovered on Thingiverse, scaled, 3D printed, and painted.
• Game counters were made with foamboard and label paper.
• Marines were ordered (Khurasan Miniatures Earthdoom Reserve Infantry) and painted.
• A Breacher vehicle was found on Etsy, ordered, assembled, and painted.I had to have at least one fun vehicle. 
• Tyranid models were found on Thingiverse, a kind friend printed them to scale, and they were painted.

I am very happy how all this came together.  Mission 1 is ready to play.  In fact the boys and I have already run through Mission 1 several times.  Those poor marines.  I have many more bugs to paint, and some walkers are on the way, but I am ready to share the project. 

Please enjoy the pictures and thanks for reading.   

Mission 1 setup

The "doors" activated by bug hormones, or plasmas rifles. 

The Marines. 

The breacher/Tunnel vehicle

The bugs, the first of many.

A few more pics here

https://mountainofminiatures.blogspot.com/2023/08/bug-hunt-project.html

Once again Thank you
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 05:31:25 AM by LouieN »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Bug Hunt Project (15mm)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 06:49:23 AM »
Well that is a very cool project! I haven’t seen anything like that breacher vehicle before, where is it from on Etsy? It is pretty amazing what 3D printed models are available now.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 08:24:22 AM »
I too love the Breacher vehicle. :-*

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 03:15:32 AM »

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 05:35:03 PM »
A good read & an interesting project.
I have a similar project using Bug Hunt 2 by Nordic weasel as it has a campaign system, though using Space hulk has merit.
Beautiful board if a bit large for 15/18. I'm might base them in groups.

You might look here for inspiration.  2 of the links have printable paper terrain

https://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2017/11/15mm-to-28mm-necromunda-game-board.html
https://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2019/12/single-hex-terrain-6-to-25mm.html
https://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2015/08/space-hulk-terrain.html

Thanks for sharing

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 10:40:52 PM »
That is a great project! I had just started to follow a group on Facebook that is nothing but "Starship Troopers in 15mm". I am sure they would really enjoy your project too. https://www.facebook.com/groups/3161364650783562
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2023, 12:12:08 AM »
if I only had a facebook account.   ;)

Thank you for the kind words

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 07:14:27 PM »
What a fantastic start!  I wish you lots and lots of fun games with those minis and terrain.  Wow.

Dan
PS.  I’m also going to need one of those “breachers” for my asteroid mine scenario.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 07:26:44 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2023, 05:56:15 AM »
Thank you.  I find it very humorous and great that the best response is from an idea I had as a afterthought.

"Hey, a tunneler vehicle would be cool as a terrain piece to show how the marines got here."

I was thinking of that fight scene form the first Total Recall Movie. 

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2023, 11:10:27 AM »
I find it very humorous and great that the best response is from an idea I had as a afterthought.
Indeed, which is why we should always jot down ideas when we have them ( something which I rarely do  :-[ )

That is a good idea.
And I've just had another idea, just modelling the disembarkation part/door & not having the whole vehicle would work also, to save space & time.

Doing a search on Artstation , Pinterest, Tumblr etc will yield a ton of useful pictures.

e.g.

Z

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2023, 07:45:38 PM »
That is the one.  It seems small for 28mm miniatures.  I think it is meant for dwarfs.  Beefy for 15mm.  I shared the link above for confirmation. 

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2023, 08:49:39 PM »
LouieN

Thanks!  Did you select “Standard” or the “200%” option?

Dan

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2023, 07:14:35 AM »
I choose standard.  I guess the 200% is really meant for -28-32mm figures

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2023, 07:22:37 AM »
Thank you.  I find it very humorous and great that the best response is from an idea I had as a afterthought.

"Hey, a tunneler vehicle would be cool as a terrain piece to show how the marines got here."

I was thinking of that fight scene form the first Total Recall Movie.

Hope those bugs don't bring powerdrills or augers!  lol

Aside from that a great thread and fun project. Seems like it would make for a great beer and pretzels game too.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman