Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:15:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mathesar's public convenience  (Read 1422 times)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Mathesar's public convenience
« on: November 12, 2023, 11:57:24 AM »
Just another quick build.

Every one knows the term “visiting the happy pilgrim.” 

What many do not know is where that term came from.  In pre-frost Fealstad, Mathesar was a well known figure.  He wrote many parchments on the health benefits of pigs urine that are still relevant today and his Emporium of Wonders is a must see for any adventurer that happens upon it.  What most adventurers do not know is the many public conveniences with the happy pilgrim sign were also built by him..  At the time they were considered revolutionary as the residents no longer had to throw their waste onto the street and they had a place to discuss and debate the topics of the day. 

Simple box build with ancient Roman/Greek style toilets.  Sponges are blister foam with wrapped wire handles.  Hope you like. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Mathesar's public convenience
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 12:44:33 PM »
Very cool

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 03:50:30 PM »
Excellent idea and execution! I am sure that Barbarians, Demons and the assorted Undead are all much easier to face if you have access to a functioning toilet.  I note there are no doors - perhaps it is better that such a place is well ventilated!

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 09:52:25 AM »
I've had the misfortune of having visited a functioning one years ago. Some things should not be allowed to be faithfully replicated; experimental archaeology be damned ::)

The smell hits you, even outside, but inside it's just dire. The Roman ones had a small gutter cut in front of the seats with running (more like strolling) water in it, for cleaning the sponge before one actually used it...  :-X

Looking at your creation, I can only state that you've captured the essence of such a place really well! It's a cracking build and I can almost smell the real deal just by looking at it ;)

Also; Bearwoodman's Olfactomancer would have something to say about this I reckon lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 11:47:50 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.  I thought this thread had died a death as not many people are interested in toilet blocks.   lol

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 01:09:04 PM »
Thank you for the kind words.  I thought this thread had died a death as not many people are interested in toilet blocks.   lol

I think this one is interesting!

And Deothar's comments had me thinking about in game rules. Perhaps living human characters should have to pass a will test before they can enter due to the stench? Undead would be immune, of course. Olfactomancers, on the other hand (with their heightened sensitiviy to such things) would suffer a -4 penalty to their roll.

I also imagine that over the centuries methane that will have built up in the roof space. As a result any figure holding a flamming torch that enters or activates inside the block must first roll a D20 and on a 16 or more there is an explosion resulting on a +3 shooting attach to every figure within the block.

If a mischievous (not to mention downright unhygienic) player were to place a treasure inside one of the toilets then surely any living human would have to pass a further will roll to actually retrieve it (I am thinking of that scene in Trainspotting where Renton has to dive into the "Worst Toilet in Scotland" to retrieve his suppository).

Assuming the treasure hunter is successful and that they make it back to base they must then roll post game to find out if they remembered to wash their hands properly afterwards. A failed roll would mean missing the next game while suffering with something unpleasant.

What do you think?

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 03:39:25 PM »
Snitcythedog, you really take Frostgrave to the next level, brilliant! 👏🏻

Very characterful house rule suggestion. bearwoodman. 👍.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 03:42:38 PM »
Fantastic!  lol

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 04:04:35 PM »
not dead, just looks like it smells like it ...

urgh, some modern versions are bad enough - in fact puts me in mind of opening the door on a squat toilet in an airport in Japan.

Outside door modern and clean - slide it open and... oohhh, nooo, nope, I will hold it for while longer.. shut door and back away before breathing...

still at least i cannot smell this one!

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2023, 04:37:42 PM »
Man, that's great. I love it. Always a pleasure to see your stuff, ever since the early Terragenesis forums.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2023, 03:01:04 PM »
Nice.

Is that an Ortega looking for Nephilim amongst the gods of the water closet?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2023, 05:09:17 PM »
That is a great little model, and the details certainly complete it  8) 8) 8)