Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:53:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690985
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Explaining wargames to the public  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Explaining wargames to the public
« on: April 21, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »
With my friends we often have games during miniature models conventions or all-games conventions, and in such events many of the visitors have never heard about miniature wargames played by adults (yes this is France I'm talking about).

So we made a small explanation sheet (trying to explain what we are doing and mentioning shortly all kinds of wargames). This sheet is displayed on a corner of the table when we play.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/pdfs/fiche2-figurines.pdf

This sheet also appears in a presentation book that a local federation, the Breton Guild of Simulation Games (although more LARPG oriented but not only), displays in gaming events and conventions.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: Explaining wargames to the public
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 01:40:35 PM »
Neat idea, and a good summary of the hobby!

"Escarmouche" is my new favourite word  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 06:44:55 PM »
A bit OT but now I'm single again I've been having nightmares about explaining wargaming to any potential girlfriend out there!  :o :o  lol

Seriously though, what in the name of [insert deity] will I say???  ??? ??? ??? o_o o_o o_o

Darrell.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 08:05:02 PM »
I usually point people to the Frothers forum, they'll figure the rest out by themselves.  :D :D

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 09:44:49 PM »
"Escarmouche" is my new favourite word  :)

:) These days I only play skirmish, and with a role-playing mind.

Um, does "escarmouche" have a different taste than "skirmish" (because it sounds foreign to you?) ;)

now I'm single again I've been having nightmares about explaining wargaming to any potential girlfriend out there!

Oh yes, I've also heard this a few times from some of my (former) girlfriends: "Oooooh, it's the first time I'm with a guy who plays toy soldiers!"

There are different ways to answer (depending on the girl):
— If she likes history, tell her it's all about history.
— If she's interested in social activities etc, tell her it's educational.
— If you can't think of anything else, ask her if she prefers you playing with toy soldiers or going to the pub to drink and look at other girls.
— In desperate cases, ask advice from a female wargamer.
— An other choice is available: in my gaming group there's a couple of male wargamers.

I usually point people to the Frothers forum, they'll figure the rest out by themselves.

I'm also a member of the Frothers forum (since I left TMP one year ago) and I like it very much.
...I often point native French speakers to the Frothers forum... for practical English lessons. :D

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 10:05:08 PM »
:) These days I only play skirmish, and with a role-playing mind.

Going that way too, but I started with role-playing games many years ago. A couple of us have experimented with purely narrative miniatures wargames, using the Mythic GM Emulator to resolve actions.

Um, does "escarmouche" have a different taste than "skirmish" (because it sounds foreign to you?) ;)

No, it's just a word that sounds nice to me.  Nothing more :)  I've not been drinking...

Wives and girlfriends have never seen a problem with my hobby, apart from one time I took my wife to a con and there were some ladies in suspenders advertising a game.  I just got a knowing look...

Although when she wants to annoy me, she asks if I'm playing "Sylvanian Families" again (after the girls' toys).  It works :D

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 08:26:04 AM »
A bit OT but now I'm single again I've been having nightmares about explaining wargaming to any potential girlfriend out there!  :o :o  lol

Seriously though, what in the name of [insert deity] will I say???  ??? ??? ??? o_o o_o o_o

Darrell.

Say you play chess in a more complex form, with lots more playing pieces in that happen to be miniature soldiers.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 09:12:30 AM »

Darrell.
Back when I was dating in my early 20's, my wargaming was seen as 'cute'... I was at an age where the 'girlfriends'/dates had all had brothers/friends with brothers/etc who had dabbled in warhammer growing up so there wasn't much chance of pulling the wool over their eyes. I think they were also glad I had a hobby that didn't involve the pub, betting or sitting infront of the TV for hours at a time. 
Explaining reenacting... that was the tough one!
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 10:20:50 AM »
Patrice,

here in Italy I have/had your very problem as well.

In the past I used to explain wargame with very serious historical background, pointing out the intelligent and competitive approach of this “weird” but elitaire hobby.
Now that I’m nearly 60, I only say that I’m interested in military modelling, have fun, and history (in decreasing order). Nothing else.
And wargame adds pretty well these features.

Hope this helps, and.. good luck!!  ;)
Marco

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 12:52:53 PM »
Last girlfriend, we had an understanding: she indulged my toy soldier hobby, I indulged her Barbie doll hobby (to the extent of repainting faces for "One Of A Kind" rebuilds she did).

My current wife, sadly, has absolutely no use for hobbies of any kind. She's also a great one for "minimalism", which takes the form of "why don't you get rid of that?"
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."