Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:59:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690981
  • Total Topics: 118361
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tin Star - first public outing  (Read 2077 times)

Offline geoffb

• Librarian
    • hamandjam.co.uk
Tin Star - first public outing
« on: June 15, 2013, 04:01:11 PM »
Last weekend I unveiled my new Western rules Tin Star for the first time. It's being developed under the Lard Approved scheme run by TooFatLardies Richard Clarke. Although I've already got some playtesters running the system through its paces it was with some trepidation that I ran the game up at Evesham at the Wyvern's club Lardy day.
As it transpired I had a great day with some terrific players who seemed to enjoy the game and gave a very favourable response and some very helpful critique.
What was nice was that a number of the aims of the game held true. Everyone picked the game up quickly and it ran nice and fast. Also the aim that I wouldn't need any charts or sheets was achieved.

I'm now assembling my western town as having been spoiled using wyvern member Ade's wonderful terrain (see below) I have had to invest in a small mdf mountain.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 04:04:56 PM by geoffb »
I came, I saw, I went home again..

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Tin Star - first public outing
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 05:10:02 PM »
Now that is a top notch town.  So any teasers on the game itself?  How detailed, how fast, how many figures per side etc?  Is this the "one for all" system you'd mentioned - but tuned for Old West play?  Is this the first of a bunch of projects you'll be doing with the same system?

I like the name by the way.  I had actually seen that Lard Approved thing in the WSS magazine and thought about it!  Very cool.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 12:22:12 AM »
Tin Star sounds interesting; what's this Lard Approved thing all about then? What issue of WSS. I must have missed it.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 01:09:11 AM »
The notice I saw was about 3-4 issues back, it's essentially TooFatLardies are seeking to help small time game designers arrange and streamline new potential products.  I'm sure if you google it, some stuff will turn up.  I can dig up the issue if you'd like.

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 02:34:32 AM »
Elbows,
Thanks. That's ok I get the gist of it. Sounds interesting; we might just see some really good stuff come of this scheme!

Offline geoffb

• Librarian
    • hamandjam.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Hi

Yep, this is the system I mentioned which I've christened Dai6.
I've got another version in very early stages of design which is very much a hand to hand system.
The aims of Dai6 and Tin Star is that its a game for 2+ players which is fast, easy to pick up and requires little or no chart look-ups. Everything happens at the same time, players choose a general set of actions at the beginning of each turn and they then hone them down as they play through it. Its all simultaneous so keeps the players involved all the time.
The weapons are very generic - this is a Hollywood style game and each player is best running about 3 or 4 figures each.
The game is dice driven and avoids modifiers. You can sit and play and don't need to check any tables or charts.

cheers
Geoff

workerBee

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 04:25:41 PM »
Hi

Yep, this is the system I mentioned which I've christened Dai6.
I've got another version in very early stages of design which is very much a hand to hand system.
The aims of Dai6 and Tin Star is that its a game for 2+ players which is fast, easy to pick up and requires little or no chart look-ups. Everything happens at the same time, players choose a general set of actions at the beginning of each turn and they then hone them down as they play through it. Its all simultaneous so keeps the players involved all the time.
The weapons are very generic - this is a Hollywood style game and each player is best running about 3 or 4 figures each.
The game is dice driven and avoids modifiers. You can sit and play and don't need to check any tables or charts.

cheers
Geoff

Please define what is meant by "dice driven."

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline geoffb

• Librarian
    • hamandjam.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 08:01:55 PM »
Hi

It means that dice are at the heart of the game.
You choose your actions and then follow the sequence of events and dice are used to handle all the combat and wounds without needing to do any lookups or modifiers.

The idea is that you concentrate on tactics and that the dice handle the donkey work.

cheers
Geoff