Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:36:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Printable Buildings - What's the verdict?  (Read 3781 times)

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
Printable Buildings - What's the verdict?
« on: November 14, 2009, 02:13:36 AM »
Anyone have any personal experience with these kits?  I've been pondering them.  Are they a real pain in the butt to assemble?

http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
Re: Printable Buildings - What's the verdict?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 06:04:54 AM »
I've been dealing with Worldworks for a couple of years now.  In general, their products are excellent, although I admit my building output is very low.  (Lots printed but little built).  They are quite detailed models, running to a couple of dozen pages in some instances, so they are not 'print, cut, fold, glue' designs.  They take some thought and a bit of work to assemble but the end results can be stunning.  The stained glass windows in some sets are gorgeous.  Be warned, though.  Some of the buildings, like the Cathedrals and the Manor, are huge!

Any one in particular you're looking at? I have most of them so can give you an idea what's involved before purchase.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline tima113

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 10:15:52 AM »
As archangel mentioned, build difficulty depends on the model chosen. If modern is your goal and you aren't interested in playable interiors, the bits of mayhem and mayhem downtown sets are great featuring buildings called hollywood flats (exterior walls with no interior detail). It's an easy way to make a variety of modern buildings for LOS blocking. You can always make up some interior floorplans if the action needs to move inside. Also there are several other manufacturers of paper modern terrain available that you should check out (fat dragon, twilight streets).

WWG is moving to a new standard, which while much more modular than the old standard is incompatible with most of their mayhem sets. The mayhem sets are based on a 3 inch tall wall height while the new standard goes to a 2 inch tall wall. Ther is discussion of conversion of some older sets, but I think it will be a while before this is accomplished.

That said, I'm quite happy with my mayhem buildings, my only problem is the their storage.

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 11:04:58 AM »
I really like the WWG sets and have bought most of them. Buying them is slightly addictive! We use the Mayhem sets for our modern and sci-fi games, and various of the medieval/fantasy sets for our Warrior Heroes campaign games. As far as the look of the thing goes, you get out of it what you put in. You can quickly throw together some structures for your table that will look fine, but you can also go a little further (e.g. using transparencies for the windows and putting together proper interiors for the buildings) and wind up with a stunning game set. There is loads of support on the WWG forum and plenty of people will be happy to offer you advice. It really depends what you want to do with the sets.

As far as constructing the sets goes, the older sets use a box construction technique to make the buildings. You can then stack these on top of each other to make multi-storey buildings. Most of the folds for these are simple sandwich folds, so construction does not take long and you can quickly have enough to fill a table. The real pain is cutting everything out, but that goes pretty quickly if you do it while sitting watching tv and keeping the wife company.
The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.

Offline Maenoferren

• Bookworm
    • Triple Ace Games
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 10:36:43 PM »
Personally I love them. I have so many of the sets, some are trickier than others, MArs station can be tricky. But on the whole with a bit of patience and reading the manual that comes with the sets you can pretty much manage anything. ANd they do look rather nice on the table :) :-*

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 07:01:57 AM »
Speaking from some experience, if you are going to print them, get yourself a decent matte spray with UV protection. All of our paper terrain, vehicles and props have faded tremendously over the last two years.

Same goes for home-printed decals, but that's at a tangent to this thread.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Cheeky Monkey

• Librarian
  • no matter where you go,there you are
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 05:28:34 PM »
 have purchased pretty much all of the fantasy line from WWG and have to agree with everybody else that they are great for throwing together some buildings - and yes they can be quite complicated depending on which kit(s) you buy - but not anything that anybody with a little modeling experience can't handle. And they are great inspiration when it comes time to build something a little more "permanent".
If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress ?
http://miniaturerealities.weebly.com

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 11:16:05 AM »
Check out my urban zombie thread in Future wars, you'll see shed loads of worldworks buildings. Love them, great finish and really look the part:

Enjoy.

Vyper
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.