Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:23:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Middle Imperial Roman Auxiliaries?  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Middle Imperial Roman Auxiliaries?
« on: December 23, 2023, 07:36:16 PM »
Which, if any, of the plastic offerings currently available, could I get away with using for fighting with or against a Palmyran army, so around 270AD?

28mm, naturally.

Thanks
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Middle Imperial Roman Auxiliaries?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 09:10:03 AM »
Thanks,
I already own the incendiary pigs!

I’m wondering if I could use the Victrix late Roman unarmoured auxiliaries?
Maybe with the heads from the Dacian kit? It’s quite a distinctive  ‘cap’

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2023, 10:19:06 AM »
Tim, I use figures from A&A Miniatures "Middle Imperial" range. Not as good as Aventine but serviceable enough, and currently on a  "buy 4 packs get one free" offer which makes them excellent value for money!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 10:46:31 AM »
Tim, if it’s regular Roman auxiliaries you’re after, there’s a plastic kit by Wargames Atlantic. It’s mislabelled as “Late Romans” while modelled after Angus McBride’s illustration of a mid 3rd century legionary. By this time differences in equipment between legionaries and (regular) auxiliaries were blurred to non-existent.

Size-wise the models mix with Aventine, A&A and Victrix quite nicely. Here are some of the original WA minis with a few substituted hands and weapons from Victrix’ Late Romans:

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2023, 11:51:38 AM »
Brilliant, thanks.
I’m a big fan of WA.

Primarily I’m trying think what ‘allied’ Romans you would see in a Palmyran force?
For me auxiliary units in this period seem more common with the actual legions being reserved for really important jobs (like guarding the emperor lol)

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2023, 10:05:36 PM »
I think what Mad Doc Morris was saying is that Roman forces had no real differences between them in terms of equipment. The legions still had their eagles and their shields would have had their specific symbols.
This might be useful:
https://history.stackexchange.com/questions/46106/what-was-clothing-in-ancient-palmyra-like

As the Palmyrene army including a lot of local peasants then probably a mix of those WA figures for the main army and perhaps also some WA Persians with head swaps and for the peasants one of the various unarmoured sets done for Late Roman/Dark Ages such as Victrix Dark Age Archers.
Officers would more likely be in classical Roman/Greek attire.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2023, 08:48:12 PM »
Legio III Cyrenicia was defeated by the Palmyrene's. And the Roman garison of Egypt took thrashing from them too. Legio V Macedonia had detachments in Egypt for long long time but you'd need to do some digging to find out if it was there then.

Prior to rebellion the palmyrenes were guardians of the eastern frontier so allied Roman troops are possible.

The aforementioned WA or A&A are your best figs for this. But Warlord make some nice dromederaii useful for Cohors XX Palmyrenorum which was around until the mid 3rdC.

Offline Emperorbaz

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2023, 04:47:34 PM »
The unarmoured Victrix late roman infantry and archers packs are perfect for 3rd century. Arguably the helmets are later so if you stick to bareheads or pannonian caps they will look fine. Reference the osprey book of romes army in the east (2 volumes), there’s a nice collection of really different costumes which are perfect for those of us who like kitbashing these plastics with other armies - I’ve even used some Persian figures/parts to give greater variety.